Weeds not growing, is Pre Alpin ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
Tried to grow weeds (dandelion, clover, plantain, mallow etc) they sprout but die shortly. Now adding Pre Alpin herbs & powdered timothy hay to the veg. Is this ok? I am worried they are not getting enough vitamins or fibre. Can we feed tortoises wheat grass? Any advise, please

http://www.agrobs.de/en/products/Tortoises.htm

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi....would you be able to tell what Alpin Herbs are? When I look it up online(as I have never seen this item) it is showing to be related to marijuana???? I think I must be misunderstanding, maybe???:D

Here is a great site on WheatGrass (based on humans and some animals)....it is a bit long but really worth the reading....It sounds actually to be a beneficial grass....

http://www.foodalive.org/articles/wheatgrass.htm

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
I ordered it in UK and had it shipped to Hong Kong after reading good reviews. Copied the info as below. Just wondering if more is needed, cause heard that veg is not enough. I don't want to add vitamins, want to keep things natural as possible.

Pre Alpin Food is a mixture of weeds and wild flowers grown and then dried epecially for tortoises and other animals.

PRE ALPIN® Testudo Herbs and Testudo Fibre are therefore a valuable main component of the daily rations. The combination of fresh plants
from meagre meadows on which over 60 different grass and herb species grow offers a rich and balanced diet for the animals.

The Plants Contained in PRE ALPIN® Testudo HERBS:

Cocksfoot, amaranth, meadow fescue, dandelion, false oat grass, Yorkshire fog, Lady s mantle, English plantain, bush vetch,
cat s tail, crested dogs s tail, perennial ryegrass, Alpine meadow grass, clover, common yarrow, Lady s bedstraw, meadow fescue and many others

The Components of PRE ALPIN® Testudo HERBS:

Dry substance 92.0 %
Phosphorus 0.27 %
Crude fibre 27.8 %
Iron 605 mg/kg
Crude protein 7.9 %
Manganese 68 mg/kg
Crude ashes 6.7 %
Carotene 45.1 mg/kg
Crude fat 2.2 %
Zinc 25 mg/kg
Calcium 0.58 %
Copper 4.7 mg/kg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The Alpin sounds good, how is it fed? I mean, is it a pellet that is moistened or is it a dry flaky mix? What type of items would you put in a leafy salad where you live? :D

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
They come in pallets but my tortoises won't eat it alone, have to powder them and sprinkle them on 'Indian lettuce', it's a kind of lettuce that's a bit like dandelions. I'd prefer to feed them fresh weeds, but living in Hong Kong I think it's too humid and hot to grow them. Trying again now but temp is still 26 degrees on average.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never heard of that stuff. We don't have it here in the states, but it sounds good to me after reading their website.

What species of tortoise are you feeding?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Tom...they have 7come month old RF and 3the year old Star--the star is being treated for RI at present....

I wonder if you moisten the pellets and continue to blend with the stuff that is like dandelion and make sure you feed them as much as they will eat....do your stores have kale, collard greens, endive, radiccio? If yes you will want to start to mix in with the diet you already serve.....

How is sing sing doing with the treatment for the RI?

So sorry but I am using my dumb smart phone and it has decided to randomly add a word behind any number I use:(:( so please read post without word right behind numbers....LOL

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
Can't get it in hong kong either, I found it on the web and ordered it, delivered locally to sister in UK. My sister had to mail it over to me. The products smells like stale grass but sure put a lot of fibre in their poos. I have a red foot & star tortoise. Can see their pics in the photo dept called 'Tor tor & Sing sing'.

Thanks Ascott. It's hard to get weed veg here, but maybe they call it another name??!! I will look around more. Not many people care for their tortoises/turtles here, shops sell them quite cheap in rotten conditions. And they are used in Chinese medicine. When I told my friends I am taking my tortoise to the vet they all called me nuts. Glad I found this website, feel at home.

Sing sing has slightly improved, more injections, think we are both getting used to it now. Give her more time, she is eating well but not her usual cheerful self. Thank u for asking

River14

5 Year Member
Sammy please send me a private message. Im also in Hong Kong. I know this post is little old but I only now found it whilst doing a "google". I would like to order preAlpin its the best food there is so if there are enough of us wanting it it would be worth while getting a load shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.