Weed/seedmix for DFW

DaveM

Location (City and/or State)
Melissa, Texas
I was wondering if anyone has a good seed mix for outdoor grazing areas here in Texas? I'm in the DFW area and our summers make keeping a good grazing area going very difficult. Any suggestions would be appreciated

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Are you feeding a grass eating species or a leaf eating species?

Both Carolina Pet Supply and Tortoise Supply sell mixes for both kinds of tortoises. If you are looking to feed one or a few tortoises, that’s probably the way to go. Tortoise Supply sells a grazing mix for dry climates, if that’s what you need.

They also sell individual seeds of different grasses and flowers if you want to focus on a few.

If you have a LOT of land, you can look into one of the horse pasture mixes recommended by other posters.

Violanna

Texas
I’m in DFW also, but I have no issue growing things. The key is keep the land well tilled and watered. If you start getting dry or dying patches just retill the land a bit to scrap up the soil and lightly reseed and flooding the evening for a couple days. Eventually it should just start doing the work for you naturally.

As for seed mixes I’ve just had everyone say order from tortoise supply

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Groworganic.com has a great deal on organic bulk irrigated horse pasture seed that grows great all year long and is great for sulcatas!