1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Weed/seedmix for DFW

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by DaveM, Nov 6, 2018.

1. DaveM

DaveM New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Melissa, Texas
    I was wondering if anyone has a good seed mix for outdoor grazing areas here in Texas? I'm in the DFW area and our summers make keeping a good grazing area going very difficult. Any suggestions would be appreciated
  2. RosemaryDW

RosemaryDW Well-Known Member TFO Supporter

Newport Coast, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Are you feeding a grass eating species or a leaf eating species?

Both Carolina Pet Supply and Tortoise Supply sell mixes for both kinds of tortoises. If you are looking to feed one or a few tortoises, that’s probably the way to go. Tortoise Supply sells a grazing mix for dry climates, if that’s what you need.

They also sell individual seeds of different grasses and flowers if you want to focus on a few.

If you have a LOT of land, you can look into one of the horse pasture mixes recommended by other posters.
  3. Violanna

Violanna Member

Texas
    I’m in DFW also, but I have no issue growing things. The key is keep the land well tilled and watered. If you start getting dry or dying patches just retill the land a bit to scrap up the soil and lightly reseed and flooding the evening for a couple days. Eventually it should just start doing the work for you naturally.

As for seed mixes I’ve just had everyone say order from tortoise supply
  4. Hugo's Home

Hugo's Home Active Member

Sierra vista, arizona
    Groworganic.com has a great deal on organic bulk irrigated horse pasture seed that grows great all year long and is great for sulcatas!