weed identification

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Buttonweed? It’s native in your area. I don’t have much info on the plant family it’s in, though. Everything goes down a rabbit hole. Occasionally I find something that looks tolerable but the rest are unknown or allegedly toxic.

Up at the top of this plant family are things like coffee and a plant used to make medicinal quinine. If you stick around you’ll notice I’m pretty laid back about feeding, especially when the science in flimsy. In this case, however, unless you are feeding a local gopher tortoise I think I’d skip it. Somewhat in your area might pop in with better info.

laciem23

South Florida
Buttonweed? It’s native in your area. I don’t have much info on the plant family it’s in, though. Everything goes down a rabbit hole. Occasionally I find something that looks tolerable but the rest are unknown or allegedly toxic.

Up at the top of this plant family are things like coffee and a plant used to make medicinal quinine. If you stick around you’ll notice I’m pretty laid back about feeding, especially when the science in flimsy. In this case, however, unless you are feeding a local gopher tortoise I think I’d skip it. Somewhat in your area might pop in with better info.
Thank you! I have two 4 month old sulcata’s who keep going for it whenever I take them outside and I have been a little cautious of it. Thanks again!

laciem23

South Florida
Also, I think its safe to feed. I looked it up myself a few days ago on the forum and there are several posts about it.
Even for baby sulcatas? I haven’t seen anything on her specifically relating back to them. Thank you so much for your info, I will let them have a go at it but not too much.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Also, I think its safe to feed. I looked it up myself a few days ago on the forum and there are several posts about it.
That’s great! I couldn’t find any posts that were conclusive about it. Could you point me to one or two? It would be great to know such a common weed is safe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! I have two 4 month old sulcata’s who keep going for it whenever I take them outside and I have been a little cautious of it. Thanks again!
Totally unrelated to your question, but most of the care info you receive for sulcatas is wrong. Wanted to leave this info here in case you are interested:

laciem23

South Florida
Totally unrelated to your question, but most of the care info you receive for sulcatas is wrong. Wanted to leave this info here in case you are interested:
Thank you! I have actually been using your post as a reference :)