we lost our baby :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Not sure what happened but Louisville passed away during the night. No signs or symptoms of anything wrong. We have had him since xmas were he weighed 45grams and since then has got up to 175grams. All was normal last night when we put him to bed and this morning he was gone. His shell temp was 88deg when I found him and I took the better care of him than I did myself. Im so sad

Attachments

• 20130731_084258_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20130731_084258_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 160

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry to hear:(. If you give us your whole run down of temps, humidity soakings, diet, etc, maybe we can help figure out what happened. Then there are some for no known reason just seem to not live. I believe it is Tom that has a thread about this.

Here is his thread if you would like to read it. Maybe you will find something in it to answer your questions of what happened. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-23493.html

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
=/ ... sorry for your loss..i hate seeing these post..i know that must feel horrible..not even knowing what happened.

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Soaking twice a day humidity at roughly 80% I have a fogger system set up. The temps in his house are always 80-85 deg on the other end under his light temps were at 92-98. He has a mixed diet of spring mix as well as chicory and some of his other favorites. He was running around fine last night at 9pm when my wife put him to sleep. This morning I found him with his head out of his shell and his eyes closed but puffy looking as well as his neck looking puffy.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Please do not make yourself insane with the "whys",....sometimes things do happen that are out of our hands....

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I second what ascott said. The fact that you know his weights, temps, etc. are clear evidence that you were doing your part. I've lost some like this and sometimes there's just no apparent reason. Do your best not to beat yourself up and remember what a good life you gave him while you had the opportunity. You have my sincerest condolences.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
I am sorry to here you lost your baby. I lost a baby too. Just remember you gave him a great home and you loved him. So sorry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Whoa! So sorry. It usually doesn't happen this way. No symptoms at all? Sounds like a case of poisoning. Was he outside yesterday? What did he eat yesterday?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: we lost our baby :(

Sorry to hear about your tort, sounds and looks like he was flourishing under your care, which is even more sad.

wellington said:
So sorry to hear:(. If you give us your whole run down of temps, humidity soakings, diet, etc, maybe we can help figure out what happened. Then there are some for no known reason just seem to not live. I believe it is Tom that has a thread about this.

Here is his thread if you would like to read it. Maybe you will find something in it to answer your questions of what happened. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-23493.html

I am not so sure Toms threat applies to this case.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
mikeh said:
I am not so sure Toms threat applies to this case.

I have to agree. The HFS ones seldom make it past 50 grams. This one was healthy and thriving.

TortoiseLuv0131

5 Year Member
Eastern USA
Oh no, I'm so sorry. I'm no expert so I won't try to diagnose, but let me just say I am so, so, so sorry for your loss. I know what it feels like to use a young pet unexpectedly (my dog killed my 2-month-old hamster a few months ago) and know it is a heartbreaking experience. Best wishes for your 'recovery' from his death.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I am so sorry this happened. You are in my thoughts.
Hugs to you.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm sorry. I remember your whole story of the "surprise" and the enclosure build. You did a great job.

Again, I'm so sorry.

Sent from my TFOapp

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
So very sorry for you.
I am nursing a sick tort and am besides myself with stress. If I lose him, at least I will know.
Sometimes life is so unfair. Hugs....

Ann from CT

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
My guy has never actually been outside. I was always to nervous cause he was still so young. His main course of food has always been spring mix from the grocery store. Always washed fresh and kept in a crisper. His daily routine has been on "auto pilot" for months. Eating 2-3 times a day always running around and routine naps in his select favorite spots. No runny nose at all eyes perfect looking shell nice and hard. I will purchase another in a few weeks for my wife I just hope its nothing I did since lou was my first tort. Since the day I got him when he arrived practically dead in a box after spending an extra night in a fed ex warehouse he got bigger n bigger everyday. Thanks for everyone's kind words.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I am very, vert sorry that you lost your baby!
It soumds like he or she has a wonderful home.
Sometimes things just happen.
You are in my thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.