We have a hatching tortstork egg

Back in July I ordered a egg from tortstork.com had it shipped to my house an started incubating the egg an today Lady's an gentleman we have a hatching Russian tortoise egg. when I'm holding I can feel him moving an scratching. Is is the first time I ever hatched anything an the first time owning a tortoise shellfreak has been awesome helping me though the whole process an teaching me everything I need to know about caring an incubating the egg/tortoise Shellfreak is the owner tortstork he is a member here so if you're interested in an egg or a hatchling send him a message ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504706040.074008.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504706050.945028.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504706067.911068.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's great news! Feel free to get all that vermiculite off the opening so he can breathe freely.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Well...
Can you answer if it was:
Shipped early and fast enough that having it turned wasn't an issue?

Or:
Shipped in such a way that the positional integrity was maintained?

I should add I'm not a tort breeder, and I can't be a client as I'm in Canada. I'm just curious!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Seriously cool. Keep us updated!
I never would have bet on an egg that was shipped to hatch successfully! But I'm very curious about his shipping methods.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
How do I ship? The question I get over and over again. Let's just say, It took a few times to nail it. Once I found the right substance to carefully pack the egg, that wouldn't dry it out, hold moisture and prevent it from breaking, I haven't lost an egg yet. The egg is packed with this specific substance inside a small plastic container. That container is then packed inside a deli cup surrounded by vermiculite, which is not only serving the purpose of keeping the egg from lots of movement, but also serves as the substance you incubate your egg in. It is then placed in newspaper and put into a styrofoam insulated box. I ship within 48 hours. As long as the egg doesn't get warm it won't start to cure/chalk. Who knows, maybe this could help with conservation by shipping rare tortoise eggs to their native land, then buried into the ground and allow them to hatch naturally to help repopulate an endangered species. At least that's my future vision. I know placing hatchlings back into the wild is frowned upon, but is placing an egg in its native land, allowing them to hatch frowned upon?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At least that's my future vision. I know placing hatchlings back into the wild is frowned upon, but is placing an egg in its native land, allowing them to hatch frowned upon?

Who cares if its "frowned upon"? And who is doing the frowning anyway? I'm not frowning. I'm smiling. Follow your dreams man. The best things that have happened in the world all happened in the face of naysayers. Innovate, experiment and learn. Don't let the words of failed people without vision shut you down too. When they say: "You can't…" Show them that you can.

In a practical sense, babies in the wild have a very high rate of attrition. Few survive to adulthood. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-1000 die for every one that makes it. Head starting them near their native ares and releasing juveniles or sub-adults, is a much more effective way to go if repopulating a "repaired" wild area is the goal.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
That's awesome! Very cool.
What has the has the hatch rate been from your shipped eggs? (If you have the statistics)

If I was in the USA, I'd be ordering an egg right now.

Op, Any update on your hatchling?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How do I ship? The question I get over and over again. Let's just say, It took a few times to nail it. Once I found the right substance to carefully pack the egg, that wouldn't dry it out, hold moisture and prevent it from breaking, I haven't lost an egg yet. The egg is packed with this specific substance inside a small plastic container. That container is then packed inside a deli cup surrounded by vermiculite, which is not only serving the purpose of keeping the egg from lots of movement, but also serves as the substance you incubate your egg in. It is then placed in newspaper and put into a styrofoam insulated box. I ship within 48 hours. As long as the egg doesn't get warm it won't start to cure/chalk. Who knows, maybe this could help with conservation by shipping rare tortoise eggs to their native land, then buried into the ground and allow them to hatch naturally to help repopulate an endangered species. At least that's my future vision. I know placing hatchlings back into the wild is frowned upon, but is placing an egg in its native land, allowing them to hatch frowned upon?
You and @tortadise need to talk.
I love that you figured it out and have success at it. I love even more the idea of shipping endangered species eggs to their natural habitat. This is where I think you and Kelly (tortadise) could really work together.