We got a Redfoot down!

jacksknight

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have no idea how this happened.... Sometimes he tries to dig under the water bowl, but I can't see how he did this. There were no signs of digging...

Off topic, our temps and humidity have been holding great! Torts are doing really well, you can see the gauge in the same pic.

IMG_20180129_094448803.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most often it's because they're trying to climb something -the wall, the hiding place, etc.

AmberD

Ontario
He's lucky he didn't flip the other way and end up upside down in the water bowl! Mines been flipping randomly lately. The one day it was in the middle of his pen, nothing around him that he could have flipped on. Sometimes I wonder if he drags himself a bit trying to get back shell side up.

jacksknight

5 Year Member
Florida
Most often it's because they're trying to climb something -the wall, the hiding place, etc.

I'm starting to think he climbed on the fake fern, once he got up high enough the wires inside them were able to hold his weight and push him over. I think ill raise them up off the ground, instead of leaving them as ground cover.

jacksknight

5 Year Member
Florida
He's lucky he didn't flip the other way and end up upside down in the water bowl! Mines been flipping randomly lately. The one day it was in the middle of his pen, nothing around him that he could have flipped on. Sometimes I wonder if he drags himself a bit trying to get back shell side up.

Yeah for sure, we usually keep the water level low in there, unless they are supervised. I don't think he could drown in that much water as big as he is now. He would have to somehow be balanced on his face upside down.

Maybe i'll add a cam to monitor them and see what happens, if it ever happens again.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm starting to think he climbed on the fake fern, once he got up high enough the wires inside them were able to hold his weight and push him over. I think ill raise them up off the ground, instead of leaving them as ground cover.
Thats what it looks like to me. Him climbing the plant

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's why water dishes should not be so deep that if they do fall into it on their backs that they won't drown. Also no flipping hazards should be near the basking light. If they get stuck on their backs under a hot basking light they will try to death if not found soon enough.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'll bet a buck that if you raise it up just a bit. It will become a choice sleeping spot for the little guy.
Babies love to hide.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
That's why water dishes should not be so deep that if they do fall into it on their backs that they won't drown. Also no flipping hazards should be near the basking light. If they get stuck on their backs under a hot basking light they will try to death if not found soon enough.
Another reason why I use no basking lamp for baby RF.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
What do you use? How do they warm up to 85+?
I'm not a RF owner, but I'm sure they'd like to know.
In my closed chamber (truly closed) With a 5.0 florescent lamp, the temperature never drops below 77 or above 85 no matter what the house temp is.
I've found that just having that minimal heat from the ballast is enough.
Ambient heat is what you're looking for. I have no "hot" or "cold" spots.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Best thing to do, move that bowl to the middle of the enclosure. You do not wanna come home to such a horrible site.

jacksknight

5 Year Member
Florida
Well It seems my suspicions were correct. My wife came home today and found this....

20180209_173347_1518216646076.jpg

She had hung the plants up higher so they couldn't get on them, but this one fell and that's where she found him. This is not the one that took the tumble, it's the other of the pair.

Just thought you guys would be interested.