We are back and sad at how the future looks....I need help

Vchyman

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New york
My male sulcata has been happily living in Florida with a family member but is no longer welcome there. We live in New York and within the next 5 years we are looking for a house with backyard so that he can stay in our family. I am so sad, I don't want to give him up but I have to bring him back up to NY and keep him in my small apartment again after he's had 6 or more months in the sun. Not sure what to do. I have not found anyone willing to foster (with me paying them for everything) and I contacted rescues in my original predicament 6+ mo's ago but they would have to give him away and not keep him for me (No amount of money made them want to).

I want this big guy in my life as long as I can but I don't know what to do for the next few years. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a hard one, because no one knows what the future holds. Yes, you PLAN to get a house with a yard in 5 years or so, but life sometimes intervenes. For instance, I said I'd foster a leopard for a member who was moving from the west coast to the east coast and he would call for the leopard in about 6 months. That was two or three years ago and I still have that tortoise, with no contact from the member.

Plus, once someone has been caring for a sulcata like that, it would be pretty hard to give it back after they've learned to love it.

Maybe you can call around to different zoos to see if you could do something like a breeding loan with you retaining ownership of the animal.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you and the tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe a member from Florida could foster him for you. Good luck.
I can tell you if he has been properly cared for he is already too big to live inside 24/7 and if not he surely will be in 5 years infact less.

Vchyman

5 Year Member
New york
I can tell you if he has been properly cared for he is already too big to live inside 24/7 and if not he surely will be in 5 years infact less.
Thanks yes he is way too big to live inside now. He is a smaller sized boy for his age but he was very very destructive as expected at the age of 14. He was ready to be outside. I am hoping a member would be willing to take him and foster. Or if they adopt I'd love to know he is okay. Today is not a good day for me. First time I've cried in a year or more and I just can't imagine bringing him into this apartment.

Vchyman

5 Year Member
New york
That's a hard one, because no one knows what the future holds. Yes, you PLAN to get a house with a yard in 5 years or so, but life sometimes intervenes. For instance, I said I'd foster a leopard for a member who was moving from the west coast to the east coast and he would call for the leopard in about 6 months. That was two or three years ago and I still have that tortoise, with no contact from the member.

Plus, once someone has been caring for a sulcata like that, it would be pretty hard to give it back after they've learned to love it.

Maybe you can call around to different zoos to see if you could do something like a breeding loan with you retaining ownership of the animal.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you and the tortoise.
Thank you. I agree - it's hard and who knows what the future holds. Although when it comes to my animals I don't mess around. Other parts of my life? eh maybe lol.

I tried zoos a while ago and none are taking them. They all claim to be inundated with sulcatas. Can't remember the last time I went to the zoo and actually saw one but oh well.

You are a good person for still holding on to the tortoise :)

Unfortunately, once I pick him up and bring him back here I can't sell my apartment because I am not allowed to have him and an apartment won't sell with him in it. A horrible circle.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Where in Florida is your Sulcata located and for how long would he/she need to be kept?

Vchyman

5 Year Member
New york
Where in Florida is your Sulcata located and for how long would he/she need to be kept?
Right now he's in Rotonda west and my aunt was supposed keep him a few years for me (maybe 2-5 years). Or less if I find a good permanent family for him instead.