Wattage for UVB?

Fuenta

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
Hello, looking for the right wattage for UVB bulb for my desert tortoise. Her house is 24x18 and she is about one year old. Can you recommend brands and the correct wattage? I had a bulb before but we moved and it went missing, and I can't recall anything about it. Thanks!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
With a T5 uvb tube light, the wattage changes by the length. But that doesn't effect the light output.
A 6% is still a 6%...
A 10.0 is still a 10.0..
A 12" fixture and tube will just be a lower wattage than a 24" or a 36", etc.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Reptisun has a desert tortoise T5 UVB.
It would be a 10.0

Arcadia is also a great name. Their desert T5 UVB tube is a 12%
They are sold in several different lengths to fit most enclosures

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, looking for the right wattage for UVB bulb for my desert tortoise. Her house is 24x18 and she is about one year old. Can you recommend brands and the correct wattage? I had a bulb before but we moved and it went missing, and I can't recall anything about it. Thanks!!!
That enclosure is way too small, and you shouldn't need indoor UV in your climate. If you can get your tortoise in the sun once or twice a week in a safe outdoor enclosure, then you don't need indoor UV. This is easily done year round in your climate.

Most of the care info given for DTs is all wrong. If followed, it will usually result in their death. Pet satires are even worse. They give you bad info and then sell you overpriced dangerous products.

Here is the correct care info:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom. Do you think a 50 UVB sounds right for a desert tortoise?
I don't know what a "50 UVB" is. Don't get a cfl type bulb, and that is what the pet store will try to sell you. You really don't need indoor UV in Phoenix. If you want it anyway, get an Arcadia 12% HO tube and fixture from Lightyourretiles.com. My second and only other choice would be the ZooMed 10.0 HO tube and fixture.

Fuenta

Phoenix, AZ
I just wanted to tell you, Tom, thank you so very much for your helpful advise from this question. I did as you said and got the light you recommended, my beautiful tortiose is doing wonderfully and healthy. Took her to the doctor and they said she is being kept very well. I would not have know the correct bulb to get her without your help. It's very hard to know what items to get with all the bad information out there; you have helped me.