Watery Eyes

Papillon17

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
Hello everyone, I have had my Sulcata tortoise for about a little over three years now. I need some help to understand why my baby has watery eyes. The first time I took him to the vet for it he had little bubbles tiny ( nothing green or mucus coming out), they ended up giving me antibiotics for him. They told me at that time that he might be a little too hot in his place, but i keep an eye on the temp every day and its been at a good temp. I did start to spray down his area to keep it a little humid but I spray his place every 2-3 days. It's been some time and I just noticed yesterday that his eyes were watery, no bubbles just water as if he has been crying. I'm not for sure if I should take him back to the vet since they don't seem to know much about reptiles and I don't want to give my baby meds if he doesn't need it. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@maggie3fan aren't sulcata tortoises known for watery eyes?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
@maggie3fan aren't sulcata tortoises known for watery eyes?
Yes, they are called the "crying tortoise", and promise you won't tell, but I agree with Chubbs. However, you 'might' check his ambient temp and make sure it's not too hot all over and not just under a basking light

Papillon17

Las Vegas
Whats the humidity in his enclosure? And it can be normal.. they are called the crying tortoise

I have never read that they were called that, but his humidity always stay around 50. More towards summer raises around 60 and up depending on how hot it is, also I give hime baths twice a week.

Papillon17

Las Vegas
He prob didnt need antibiotics to begin with

I agree with that, when I did take him to the vet he was fine it was just the little bubbles. His eating is great, walks around I have not seen anything else that was concerning. But after going to the vets so many times not for him but my bearded dragon I then realized the vets don't know much about reptiles and didn't want to go back.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I agree with that, when I did take him to the vet he was fine it was just the little bubbles. His eating is great, walks around I have not seen anything else that was concerning. But after going to the vets so many times not for him but my bearded dragon I then realized the vets don't know much about reptiles and didn't want to go back.
Most vets dont. They just go out back and flip through a book or google

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have never read that they were called that, but his humidity always stay around 50. More towards summer raises around 60 and up depending on how hot it is, also I give hime baths twice a week.
He needs to be soaked daily for abt 10 minutes, he needs 80% humidity and his temp should never go below 85 Fahrenheit

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
80% is pretty high humidity isn't it? Ive always just read that it needs to be between 40 to 60 at least.

As hatchlings they need 80% humidity to help prevent kidney damage from dehydration. Then they need 80% humidity to prevent pyramiding and the resulting MBD. That is the ideal...in reality it isn't that high when they are outside in our single digit climate. But they do need humidity as much as possible for as long as they are actively growing. Pyramiding theoretically can start at any time.

Papillon17

Las Vegas
Thank You for that,
At what age does the humidity need to start decreasing? And also i actually do not have him outside yet. My partner and I are going to once the backyard is done. Papillion does have a lot of room right now, we have built him an inside home its 4x8ft box he has a water, shade and basking area. We do still take him outside to get some natural sun as well.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Thank You for that,
At what age does the humidity need to start decreasing? And also i actually do not have him outside yet. My partner and I are going to once the backyard is done. Papillion does have a lot of room right now, we have built him an inside home its 4x8ft box he has a water, shade and basking area. We do still take him outside to get some natural sun as well.

The humidity never needs to go down. A humid environment is good for tort shells. But especially when they move outside, the relative humidity in our desert location is often in the single digits percentage.
Very, very dry. Once outside full time, you will need to build a heated night box for him. Most keepers who live in dry climates put shelves in the night box and put bins of water on them to try to raise the humidity a bit.

If Papillon's carapace is 12", it's time for him to move outside in a huge outdoor area. At that size, 8x4ft really is small.

Here's info about the night box if you need it.