Watery eyes after eating

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
Lately my Russian, Pops, has watery eyes right after eating. I've been noticing it a lot in the last month or so. I had assumed he was getting poked by his food but now I've been watching him eat and that's not the case. He is precise in biting his food (unlike my other Russian) and nothing is touching his eyes while he eats. Could he have an allergy? The beginning of an RI?
I do think his eye sight was permanently damaged by a coil bulb used by his previous owner but this eye thing is new and I've had him over a year now. Any ideas?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Today I noticed it after he ate some bitter cress. Tomorrow I'll feed bitter cress separately and see if it happens only after that or after other food too.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I would suggest feeding only one item a day to see if there is a reaction. Any chance it’s the substrate?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I would suggest feeding only one item a day to see if there is a reaction. Any chance it’s the substrate?
Good idea. I'll do that.
He's had the same substrate for over a year. A mix of orchid bark and chunky coco coir.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
It is a modified isolation diet that allergists use- helped use learn our old Newfie was allergic to beef