Watery Eye! Please Help.

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Uk
I noticed that my 3-year-old tortoise had a watery eye while she was eating but it looks okish now. The inner corners of her eyes have looked a tiny bit pink and puffy for a little while, but it didn't seem to bother her, and then this happens! I'm now thinking of booking her an appointment at the vets tomorrow, but i'd like to see what you guys link and what advice you have. Thank you so much!
Mia

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
What kind of substrate do you have and what type of UVB light? Is the light in a coil shape?

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Uk
What kind of substrate do you have and what type of UVB light? Is the light in a coil shape?
I use sterilized topsoil, but at the moment it is very dry and dusty and I'm not too sure but it's a komodo strip-light.

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Uk
Hi my tort had water eyes and took her to the doctor she had a cold and put her on antibiotics.
I'm glad that your tortoise got the treatment she needed. Sad she was ill though. Definitely going to have a trip to the vet tomorrow; don't want to leave it any longer in case Felicity needs antibiotics. Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I noticed that my 3-year-old tortoise had a watery eye while she was eating but it looks okish now. The inner corners of her eyes have looked a tiny bit pink and puffy for a little while, but it didn't seem to bother her, and then this happens! I'm now thinking of booking her an appointment at the vets tomorrow, but i'd like to see what you guys link and what advice you have. Thank you so much!
Mia
What species of tortoise? What size and age? How often do you soak it? What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low? What sort of heat lamp are you using to maintain these temps?

Medicating the tortoise without discovering and correcting the CAUSE of the problem is likely to do more harm than good. Tortoises do not get a "cold".

Eye issue can be caused by dry dusty soil. I also think sold should not be used because you cannot know what composted yard waste it is made of. Could be something toxic, and now it is in your enclosure and the dust is getting in the tortoises eyes.

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Uk
What species of tortoise? What size and age? How often do you soak it? What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low? What sort of heat lamp are you using to maintain these temps?

Medicating the tortoise without discovering and correcting the CAUSE of the problem is likely to do more harm than good. Tortoises do not get a "cold".

Eye issue can be caused by dry dusty soil. I also think sold should not be used because you cannot know what composted yard waste it is made of. Could be something toxic, and now it is in your enclosure and the dust is getting in the tortoises eyes.

She is an eastern hermanns tortoise, her shell is roughly 10cm long and about 8cm across. Probably over 300 grams now but the scales are broken and 3 1/4 years old. Not very oftern because she hates baths, but there is a constant water source when she's in there I somethimes spash it on her shell. I tend to only soak her when her shell is dusty from the dry mud...
Warm side: around 21/22°c
Cool side/in her sleeping hide during the day: around 20.8°c
Basking area: 26.5°c
Overnight low(in winter, at the moment): 15/16°c on a super cold night
I'm using a 100w Exo Terra mulit-purpose daytime heat lamp.
I just ordered her a 70l block of peat-free coco coir. Need to change her substrate anyway...
Thank you, Tom!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She is an eastern hermanns tortoise, her shell is roughly 10cm long and about 8cm across. Probably over 300 grams now but the scales are broken and 3 1/4 years old. Not very oftern because she hates baths, but there is a constant water source when she's in there I somethimes spash it on her shell. I tend to only soak her when her shell is dusty from the dry mud...
Warm side: around 21/22°c
Cool side/in her sleeping hide during the day: around 20.8°c
Basking area: 26.5°c
Overnight low(in winter, at the moment): 15/16°c on a super cold night
I'm using a 100w Exo Terra mulit-purpose daytime heat lamp.
I just ordered her a 70l block of peat-free coco coir. Need to change her substrate anyway...
Thank you, Tom!
Your day time temperatures are much too cool. This is probably the cause of the sickness and your vet should have addressed this before medicating. Your tortoise will not get well if you don't correct this problem. Basking area should be around 37. Daytime ambient should be around 27 on the warm side and 23 on the cooler side.

They need to be soaked regularly. It doesn't matter if they "like it". At least two or three times a week for one this size of yours. Keep it warm for the whole soak.

Coco coir is not a good substrate for larger Testudo. Its not harmful, but its too messy. Fine grade orchid bark will work better. Whatever substrate you use, keep it just a little bit damp to prevent dust.

I tried to look up your bulb, but there are many types and the names aren't consistent. What type of bulb is it? Spot? MVB? Round? In any case, you need to lower the fixture and get your basking temp up ASAP. Also best to have a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb for a basking area.

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Uk
Your day time temperatures are much too cool. This is probably the cause of the sickness and your vet should have addressed this before medicating. Your tortoise will not get well if you don't correct this problem. Basking area should be around 37. Daytime ambient should be around 27 on the warm side and 23 on the cooler side.

They need to be soaked regularly. It doesn't matter if they "like it". At least two or three times a week for one this size of yours. Keep it warm for the whole soak.

Coco coir is not a good substrate for larger Testudo. Its not harmful, but its too messy. Fine grade orchid bark will work better. Whatever substrate you use, keep it just a little bit damp to prevent dust.

I tried to look up your bulb, but there are many types and the names aren't consistent. What type of bulb is it? Spot? MVB? Round? In any case, you need to lower the fixture and get your basking temp up ASAP. Also best to have a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb for a basking area.
Thank you. I have lowered the heat lamp so that it is a lot warmer, soaked her yesterday and watered her substrate. Seems to be doing better and is more active. Should I still book a trip to the vets? Thanks again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. I have lowered the heat lamp so that it is a lot warmer, soaked her yesterday and watered her substrate. Seems to be doing better and is more active. Should I still book a trip to the vets? Thanks again.
That is up to you. Me personally? I would not. You have two likely causes, the dryness and the cold, that you have addressed. I would expect the problem to go away now. The vets that know what they are doing with tortoises are few and far between. Most vets do more harm than good, attempt to treat only the symptoms, don't solve the problem, often do the wrong things, and then charge you a bunch of money.

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Uk

I got some bark and didn't realise that it might not be sutible for torts... I used a tiny bit to see how she gets on. Could it be because of impaction? I'll add some photos.

Attachments

• 20200112_133151.jpg
    20200112_133151.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20200112_133143.jpg
    20200112_133143.jpg
  • 20200112_133123.jpg
    20200112_133123.jpg
  • 20200112_133118.jpg
    20200112_133118.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 20200112_133107.jpg
    20200112_133107.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I got some bark and didn't realise that it might not be sutible for torts... I used a tiny bit to see how she gets on. Could it be because of impaction? I'll add some photos.
Those bark chips look fine. Read the ingredients. It should be "Fir bark." No other additives.