Waterland Tub Box turtle enclosure

edwardbo

5 Year Member
beautiful ,thank you,love a nice set up.heathly happy tort....whats floating in the water?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Just some tiles sitting there, I forgot to 'neaten' them up, lol

She is a little scalawag, very curious.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Very nice. Very nice.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
she must be new to you as she is not listed .best of luck .i love my boxies very much too.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Thanks, all.
She is new, I am 'fostering' her for a local rescue. How could someone have given her up?
I think we'll be making it permanent. ;)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Beautiful enclosure! I love it.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Wow, that is an amazing indoor set up! I want to live there! She is sooo cute you need to keep her. :D Could you give the layout? tub size...a drawing of your layout along with a list of materials. That is a beautiful indoor enclosure for a box turtle . Great job! She is lucky to have you.Also can you use a filter to keep the water clean or do you do water changes daily?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nice I likes I likes . I agree can you give use a run down.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I love everything about it!
You stole the waterland tub 😊😊

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Cracked up in his panic of the fall. I think,you should make him perminent. He looks so friendly and handsome too. Love the enclosure. You do great designing.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I referred to it as a 'he' initially, but she is a 'she', lol. I know, Barb, her reaction to slipping off of the log makes me laugh every time.

Anyway, she is very outgoing. But also won't tolerate another boxie in there- I know they are supposed to be good in groups, but I guess there is the odd boxie that is best off alone. I tried to put in the Eastern female, and this one followed her around intimidating/poking her with her beak.
Cheeky thing.
The Eastern female is so shy, I didn't want her to have to deal with that.
Other boxies might do OK.

As far as dimensions, it is the medium water land tub; 70"L x 32"W x 14"H, water area is 3 gallons.
I installed a bulkhead drain with a shut off valve (cringed as I drilled into the WL tub), so it drains easily into a 5 gallon bucket. I have a rubber liner for traction and because the drain is a few mm's above the base, so the liner displaces the water for draining.
I can lift and empty the 5 gal bucket into a nearby laundry sink with filter over drain. I plan to get a coil hose to fill the water area up. I tried the Python product to empty and refill, but I think the water is too shallow, and also perhaps my faucet flow is too weak.
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&sa=X&ei=fBvOUtrBDojvoASKg4LwBw&ved=0CK0BELkk

Water area is large enough that I will change every 2-3 days. The tortoise nerd in me is researching potential DIY filters, but with the 'debri' that they produce, the filter has to be very forgiving, or have a pre filter, or something. Still working on that.

Supplies:
2 cubic feet of organic topsoil.
Chopped/dried leaves that I saved.
A piece of shelving over one side that rests on the WL lip, extra leaves stuffed underneath. Fake ivy on top.
About five 4" house plants on sale, immersed in the soil or on shelf. From TT safe list.
Driftwood with fake ivy woven on it. Driftwood log on ground.
Basking area has a large flat stone and small cement paver, and a small container with a stone and sphagnum moss that I keep wet to help with humidity.
Moss in foreground was lifted from my backyard. This is the PNW, after all.
Lighting is a 36" Reptisun 5.0, soon to be expanded to 48".
Garden wire bent over each short side with plastic zip tied to it to help hold in warmth and as a rest for the tube fluorescent.
Heating: 60w black bulb trained on water area 24/7.
2 brooder fixtures hanging on chain from ceiling, 100w black lights. Placed in middle but on opposite sides (one over basking area).
So the only 'light' is the Reptisun; I followed TerryO's advice to keep it more forest like and less harsh.
No night heat, but the laundry room is heated.

As far as a picture, I would be hopeless at that. However, my fellow tortoise lover, Katie (biochemnerd) is going to take some 'glamour shots' of this boxie tomorrow for the rescue site, so maybe I can get out the step ladder and take an aerial view, lol. Or stand on the dryer? :O
I will sure work on that!

edwardbo

5 Year Member
i dont think any filter can really do a decent job on that small a body of water .if you have the time feed her then soak her somwhere alse for a few ,she should have a bowel movment ,then put her back. thank you for the beautiful post. thats what tort keeping is about....

dont fall of the dryer!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Use the python hose and sink attachment without the gravel tube. The shallow aspect will no longer be an issue. It will work perfectly for you without that "bigger hose" on the end ;)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Team Gomberg said:
Use the python hose and sink attachment without the gravel tube. The shallow aspect will no longer be an issue. It will work perfectly for you without that "bigger hose" on the end ;)

Perfect! That makes sense, because the gravel tube took FOREVER to fill. I'll give it another go.