Water proofing

Ultrarunner77

Location (City and/or State)
Abbotsford
We are looking a getting a raised planter box like this. I’d like to stain the inside and silicone the corners to hold moisture. We don’t have a tortoise yet. My son has saved and it getting it in acouple weeks and we are trying to plan. My wife is worried that it will eat the wood and die from the stain.
48E2F5E7-061F-4E13-8298-0E1B11AC9E56.jpeg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Staple some POND LINER material to the wood under the substrate line for wood rot protection.
Most tortoises dont/won't chew on wood. But I can only really say that about Redfoot tortoises and from my own experiences.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I agree with ZeroPilot. On the inside up about 8 inches line with a good thick plastic that you can staple in place. It’s best then to get a small piece of trim molding and tack that in place all around the edge of the plastic to firmly hold the liner. Put a few inches of substrate.

On the outside, a few coats of some good wood sealer & protectant. I wouldn't do this on the inside.

Like @ZEROPILOT said, torts aren't usually known for gnawing on wood. Rabbits & guinea pigs & chinchillas....etc yes, but not tortoises.

Good luck!

Byron Todd

Bed liner or fiberglass resin works well.

Fiberglass resin paints on like polyurethane but a single coat is 50x thicker. It’s pretty cheap too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really like flex seal. I've used it on a couple tables and it doesn't leak. It protects the wood too.