Water filtration

issjussjame

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta
Hello! I have been trying to figure out the best water filtration system for my box turtle's "pool." So far we have tried a tower filter in Squirtle's 3" deep pool. That lasted about a day before it clogged up from the wood chip substrate that Squirtle drags in when he crawls into the pool. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for this? I was thinking of trying out a fish tank type filter that uses hoses for intake and covering the end of the intake with a sponge. I would love any tips or ideas on this. Thanks!

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
my opinion is a pump surrounded by a box made of matala filter media , placed under an under gravel filter that pumps into a canister, bucket , or garbage can filled with mechanical and biological filter media , that empties back into the pond/container/tank or whatever .....the gravel will keep large debris away from the pump and also act as a biological filterbed , the matala surrounding the pump also keeps the pump from getting clogged and also acts as a biological filter bed , the canister/bucketor garbage can acts as a mechanical biological filter bed ..........

here's a small example , under the gravel is stainless steel screen , under that matala filtermedia , under that the pump , the green hose pumps the water into the bucket full of mechanical biological media which returns it to the 29 gallon tub .... i haven't cleaned this setup for 2 yrs , the rain over flows it , and i over flow it myself with chlorine free water every once in a while ......

DSCF7431.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I have been trying to figure out the best water filtration system for my box turtle's "pool." So far we have tried a tower filter in Squirtle's 3" deep pool. That lasted about a day before it clogged up from the wood chip substrate that Squirtle drags in when he crawls into the pool. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for this? I was thinking of trying out a fish tank type filter that uses hoses for intake and covering the end of the intake with a sponge. I would love any tips or ideas on this. Thanks!
Most people just dump, rinse and refill because of the problems you are seeing. You'd need a much larger water volume and a large filter like what Mark described to even begin to handle all the turtle waste, much less the substrate.