Watch your tortoise while not at home

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Hello.. just want to share interesting and inexpensive idea to monitor your beloved tortie when you are gone to work.
I used a cctv camera that connect to my phone. And all you need is just a wifi, a smartphone, and this cctv camera. The only cable is to power up the cctv. I got the camera for USD30 (an MVB cost twice or more!! And need to change every half or one year.) It's cheap and while i am working, i can see what my tort doing. Also.. i know what temp it is. This is the cctv capable of 720p and you can see the quality i post below. Not very good but i am able to read the temp and humidity of my basking spot and cool side temp, and that's enough. Not doing advertising for this product so i won't tell the brand. Just sharing to let all tort lover know, there is inexpensive way to monitor your tort, and now you can work without worrying your little one flipped, too hot /cold enclosure temp, or how is he/she doing during daytime while you are away. Grab one, search the internet.
I like to see him through cctv when i have nothing to do, how he walks, exploring the enclosure, eats, and never use the water. Sigh... o_Oo_Oo_O lol :D:D:D

Please do not get frustated by my bad english, i am trying to do better :p

2016-07-14-11-47-20-1.png
2016-07-14-11-48-18-1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Thanks for sharing this! Good to know that the camera isn't expensive. How warm is it at the end of your enclosure? I always put my ceramic night time bulb in the middle to control the heat for the whole area.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Thanks for sharing this! Good to know that the camera isn't expensive. How warm is it at the end of your enclosure? I always put my ceramic night time bulb in the middle to control the heat for the whole area.
Yup, technology become cheaper and cheaper nowadays.
As the temp reading, the very above is clock which is at 11.50 showing 31.1C (around 88F), the humidity is 87%. The temp outside the enclosure is usually between 84F to 87F

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
And by the way, your English is very good so don't worry about it :)
Very true regarding your use of the english language. Here in the states, we have many that have a very bad idea of the english language even though it is their first language! I give you a firm thumbs up in your efforts! Where are you located? I'm in the Pacific Northwest of the USA in the state of Oregon.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
That's an amazing idea! And by the way, your English is very good so don't worry about it :)
Very true regarding your use of the english language. Here in the states, we have many that have a very bad idea of the english language even though it is their first language! I give you a firm thumbs up in your efforts! Where are you located? I'm in the Pacific Northwest of the USA in the state of Oregon.
Thanks @Ellen & Toby @Cowboy_Ken
Really? It's like their first language, come on. o_O
I am far far away from you. I'm in Indonesia. I think english is my fourth language.
I really enjoy being here, looks like a lot of tort keeper have warm heart.

Ellen & Toby

Cheshire, UK
Cowboy_Ken said:
Here in the states, we have many that have a very bad idea of the english language even though it is their first language!

Fredkas said:
Really? It's like their first language, come on. o_O

Not just the states, you should hear some of the rubbish English people come out with! :rolleyes: Wish I was clever enough to speak a second language let a lone a fourth!!! Fredkas you are one up on me anyway (sorry got the quotes bit I think but not figured out how to tag names yet)!

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Not just the states, you should hear some of the rubbish English people come out with! :rolleyes: Wish I was clever enough to speak a second language let a lone a fourth!!! Fredkas you are one up on me anyway (sorry got the quotes bit I think but not figured out how to tag names yet)!
Tag name, you type "@" and then type the name you want to tag. No need to memorize it, when you are typing, several names will come out. Just choose.
Several language is easy when international language is not your main language, then you are minority in your own country. :p

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Several language is easy when international language is not your main language, then you are minority in your own country. :p
I'm blonde haired, blue-eyed, melting pot of races in the states. My favorite half of my family is Mexican, some family gatherings, I speak little Spanish and they speak little English, but they are my favorite half of my family and we all laugh and hug each other.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I am a chinese that speak "native chinese village" language at home and friends. Then there is international chinese language which we call mandarin. Speak indonesian language to native indonesian. And everybody should know a little english.
Sometimes this race things make a better world. That.. if we are able to see it that way :p:D

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks for posting @Fredkas .Very interesting and useful,especially for tor owners who are obliged to leave their tots alone for long. :D

Your English is much better than you think it is. :p

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Great Idea, I will also throw out another cheap way that I use. If you have a old smart phone you can download the app presence on wifi for free. Then also put the app on our current phone and then pair the two together, very easy. You can watch the feed anytime and if there is motion inside the enclosure it will send you an alert and video of the action. Its basically free if you have an old phone laying around.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Sorry Fredkas, I wasn't trying to Hijack the great thread, I was just putting another idea out.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Thanks for posting @Fredkas .Very interesting and useful,especially for tor owners who are obliged to leave their tots alone for long. :D

Your English is much better than you think it is. :p
Thank you lol. Yes i am happy if others find it usefull.

Great Idea, I will also throw out another cheap way that I use. If you have a old smart phone you can download the app presence on wifi for free. Then also put the app on our current phone and then pair the two together, very easy. You can watch the feed anytime and if there is motion inside the enclosure it will send you an alert and video of the action. Its basically free if you have an old phone laying around.
Yes.. This is the purpose. Sharing a cheap or free stuff. Use the unused thing. Because there is a lot other expenses, and our tort will not make it heavier.
This cctv capable of sending video, alert, and sending your voices too. Then all and all, this cctv also good for monitoring baby and the baby sitter, i.e command through voices to the one at home.

Last edited:

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Sorry Fredkas, I wasn't trying to Hijack the great thread, I was just putting another idea out.
You are not hijacking anything or anybody here. I like what you share, and i like people have several ideas, it makes things interesting. Sometimes ago, i am thinking whether an unused phone can do what you said. And you answered it to me now. I should say thank you :D

M

Maggie Cummings

Blake, I put all my CHE's at one end of the habitat. That way the torts can get away from the heat and cool down. That's pretty important. That's how they maintain a constant body temp. By moving in and out of the heat. You're gonna do what you're gonna do, but I'd move your CHE's to one end. And I'll bet you, more times then not, you'll find your tort away from the heat at night....
I know that's not what ya'll were talking about, but personally I don't give a darn about what my tortoises are doing while I'm gone. Sleeping probably or grazing. But I do care about when I read something I think I can help with. And my experience and a bunch of tortoises taught me about the CHE's, just wanted to say that to ya....I also didn't mean to hijack the thread.....