Wasps around the enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
We're seeing a ton of wasps around our DT enclosure. They love to drink from the water dish. Normally I take a live and let live attitude to helpful insects like these, but they're becoming really plentiful and I'm wondering when it's time to get concerned -- not for the torts, who don't seem to mind, but for the human visitors, who often do. For the life of me I can't find the nest. I fear it may be under the house.

Does anyone have experience dealing with wasps in a way that's safe for the tort members of the household?

Oh, and I was wondering if anybody out there has tried these glass wasp catchers. They're pretty and eco- and tort-friendly, but not cheap so I don't want to buy one if they don't work:

http://shop.priscillawoolworth.com/Small-Glass-Wasp-Catcher-p/sgwc144.htm

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
They shouldn't bother the tortoises, if you worries about your family then finding the nests handling is probably best. Check around your house up by the roof where it overhangs your house. From all the nest I've done the build them up high like that and they look
Like mud nest. I believe they do however make mounds on the ground and can have a little hive going. Idk maybe someone else with more experience can help.

Also never used the trap before simple concept seems like they can work, and you probably can make one out of old water bottles

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I have not seen that particular one used but one of my neighbors has a similar thing, a tube with a hole like that on the bottom and a red liquid that looks like hummingbird food, and when I walk past during the summer it is usually filled with dead ones, so I assume it probably works.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah....here in the high desert they do the same thing,..they drink from the torts water dishes and any other water.....I have a large water trough out in a corner of the property that I set up for the quail and wild birds along with I set it up for the Ravens to drink from as this keeps them from dropping into the tortoise enclosures to obtain water,.....

Depending on the neighborhood density where you live---the nests could be in a totally different yard/property---you know what I mean?

If you have wasps around they will eat aphids so they are also a help, they are carnivorous,....if you don't go after them and purposely attack them I have not encountered any issue with them,....

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Last year we had a terribly high population of wasps, mostly European paper wasps. This year I know there is a ground wasp nest near my tort's enclosure. They do like the water in the enclosure (and elsewhere). I've never seen them bother the tortoise, but I dislike them. I tried all sorts of things last year to no avail. Apparently these European paper wasps have no interest in anything in a trap.

In other words, know the species of wasp you have before you act. You can usually find out information on your county's extension website or State extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.