Was given a tortoise, know nothing about them, HELP!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Just cut a hole in the top for the light?
Get a clear plastic grow tent and put everything inside the grow tent. Hopefully other members will post links or pix of what they have done with these so you can see what is possible.

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
Grow tents work amazing and are cheap for the size you get. This one is 3ft x 6ft and I spent $90. Just need some tarps and you are good to go. Follow that care guide linked and you'll know just what to put in it. That poor baby needs it asap.
This is my redfoots, so yous will be a little different.
20200814_070646.jpg

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
We were just given a tortoise from someone on a job my husband was working on.
This is how I came to adopt my Sulcata. The 2 families before did not know what kind of tortoise it was and that it grows to enormous size. My Sulcata is 7 and gained 20 + pounds the 3 yrs Ive had her. Get ready! They are an awesome species, wish you the best of luck!!

Pretty Scary Author

Massachusetts
I appreciate that you’re doing your best to turn this guy’s life around! He’s in very poor health, you realize. I would get him to an exotics vet quickly. You’re aware they get large, and deficiencies occur very quickly. Definitely check with a vet and even a local zoo in how they’ve ensured the best recovery and growth in their specimens. Thank you and best of luck!!!

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I know this can be very overwhelming.
You can start with a plastic tub like this.
Till you figure out everything you will need to build your ideal enclosure.

I bought 5 translucent white ones. DO NOT believe in shutting them off completely inside of a black or other opaque container!