Was given a tortoise, can anyone identify its species?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Hi and welcome to this great site! There is a lot I can see that will be commented on and advice given, just from the pics. Thanks for taking in this little guy. He sure needs help and this is a fine place to get it. Experts coming right up - stay tuned!!!:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know nothing about the marginated tortoises, however, I can give a few general pointers. The tortoise needs a dedicated enclosure that's large enough for the tortoise to walk around in (exercise helps the digestive tract clear). It needs a good UVB light and a place to be able to sit and warm up. The enclosure needs to be big enough so that the tortoise can move away from the light to cool down. It needs a couple of hiding places, a waterer and a feeding tile. As you can see, with all these additions to the enclosure, you'll need a pretty big container - 4' x 8' would be a good starting place.

The tortoise can be fed various mixed greens and weeds.

It's much easier to take care of a full grown tortoise if you set it up in a safe, outdoor enclosure. Marginated tortoises brumate, so when the weather cools you can allow brumation, however, because this tortoise is new to you, you'll have to keep it up this winter.

Tzanmc

Uk
Thanks so much for the information, I got him from a colleague that rescued him from a woman keeping him in a rabbit hutch with a desk lamp. Hes always free roamed and never wintered...its guessed hes about 15 years old, 'm not sure this wee guy knows quite what normal is.
Thanks so much again for your help!

Tzanmc

Uk
Get a good uvb light or get him out in some natural sunlight as much as possible. To me it looks like he has, or at one time had some MBD going on. His shell looks pretty funky.
We live in scotland, I'd kill him in the cold even if I could find sunlight here atm, so hes by the heater with that light...wide awake, kinda pulsing his limbs under the rays. Hes eating and passing fine, just chased the cat away...gees, I'm feeling like a first time mummy atm. I'm really appreciating everyones help. Thankyou!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hes like a tree, all bark like...I can bathe him?
Absolutely you can! He will benefit from warm soaks every day to start with...but the brumation thing, I know nothing about so that will have to be discussed further since you are going to keep him indoors and not brumate him...in which case certainly do the warm soaks.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
...and being on that rug is not good for him, he may eat it or get hairs into his digestive system from it...set him up ASAP in his own space with appropriate substrate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We were given this but I'll head to the pet shop tomorrow !

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! {Dramatic horror movie yell....}

You will get nothing but bad advice and bad products from a pet shop. Save yourself that hassle and expense, and save your tortoise from dangerous pet store crap. Most of what you need will be found at a hardware store, not a pet shop.

Care for all Testudo is similar. Read these and then come back with questions.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! {Dramatic horror movie yell....}

You will get nothing but bad advice and bad products from a pet shop. Save yourself that hassle and expense, and save your tortoise from dangerous pet store crap. Most of what you need will be found at a hardware store, not a pet shop.

Care for all Testudo is similar. Read these and then come back with questions.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Right, thanks Tom!!!