*Warning* to any Virginia boxie lovers/keepers

Skip K

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Looks like Va is trying to follow in the footsteps of the “geniuses” in Fla. Apparently a law is trying to be pushed through to forbid the keeping of Eastern Box turtles. The current law says you can have a maximum of 5. This law is supposedly aimed at poachers of EBT’s...but as any “control” law...it will only affect the innocent and law abiding. Poachers will continue as usual. Just as FLA is enacting laws on certain reptiles...”because they are invasive”....hurting many people’s livelihoods and also forcing the euthanasia of said reptiles ( unless they are already in ownership and pass enclosure inspections). There are so many grey areas it’s hard to even figure out what is what with the rules in the first place. But back to “invasive species”. Might have been prudent if enacted 60 years ago...but it’s a little late now. I’ve never understood the philosophy of “closing the barn door after the cows have got out”. I know there are multiple sides to these issues as well as multiple ownership scenarios...but to address all these possible scenarios the rule book will have to be thicker than a NASA prelaunch checklist.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
People have to contact their state reps. Multiple times...at least daily... to register their views on the matter. Passive indifference makes for a poor electorate. WE-LURVE-ANIMALS! political platforms hide a lot of this kind of anti-scientific foolishness.

Good luck...

Skip K

Virginia
People have to contact their state reps. Multiple times...at least daily... to register their views on the matter. Passive indifference makes for a poor electorate. WE-LURVE-ANIMALS! political platforms hide a lot of this kind of anti-scientific foolishness.

Good luck...
I sooo agree. The way that right after right gets removed is because it starts with something small or is excepted because it doesn’t affect your particular situation...yet! You nailed it...passive indifference! Non animal lovers can always come up with “righteous” reasons why something can be taken away...regardless of any counter logic. It’s amazing how “godlike” people are when it’s something they are not giving up...but making someone else give up something. And these people are not smart enough to realize that eventually this way of thinking...of what the other guy can sacrifice.. will eventually take something away from them that the DO care about. Are there issues...of course...but knee jerk reactions that harm legitimate reptile lovers is hardly the answer.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I always worry that we're headed this way as well...not so much ideologically, but practically. Our Wildlife department is not big enough to reasonably police the entire state...you can't get them on the phone, they're always in the field. Our permits are due to be paid first of the year, but then don't get processed for months. Last year mine arrive at my inbox in May...nearly half the year gone without the paperwork that would be required at veterinary visits or spot inspections (rare, and reserved for large collections and breeder/sellers/pet shops).

But we only pay $10 for a yearly exotic permit (unlimited number of legal critters), and $20 for exotic birds. Raise the prices and hire enough people to do the job of managing illegal activity. It costs me more to register one dog with the township...but that money funds all sorts of dog-and-cat related works locally and across the entire state. You pay-per-dog(-and-cat some places), so what's the big?

The loss/rejection of qualified professional politicians is a critical problem that is reaping a whirlwind from coast-to-coast.

You need a very large, organized objection. Anything less will be brushed aside.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Box turtles ( Which are native) are illegal to keep here in GA as pets but exotic animals are legal to keep. It doesn't really make any sense to me. I've been in contact with the GA DNR a couple times about it. The conversations usually seem like I'm the one educating them on what the law is and it doesn't really seem to be too "High priority" for them. From what I've been able to gather Ornate box turtles are not native here so they are legal to keep. So if anybody asks, all my box turtles are Ornate integrates. ?

Skip K

Virginia
Box turtles ( Which are native) are illegal to keep here in GA as pets but exotic animals are legal to keep. It doesn't really make any sense to me. I've been in contact with the GA DNR a couple times about it. The conversations usually seem like I'm the one educating them on what the law is and it doesn't really seem to be too "High priority" for them. From what I've been able to gather Ornate box turtles are not native here so they are legal to keep. So if anybody asks, all my box turtles are Ornate integrates. ?
Great idea! Or just say you purchased them from a long since outta the business breeder.