(WARNING) Poop problem

ISU

Location (City and/or State)
South Korea
I brought her in Feb. this year, and she had a problem with poop from the beginning. It was really, really stinking, and she had problems with protozoas, parasites and bacteria, so she seemed to get better after taking the medicine. it looked like a normal (this is my mistake. I don't know what medicine the first vet prescribed. He didn't tell me that.)

But in early Apr, her poop again smelled a little bit and the color was strange. I met a second vet and the poop test showed that there were certainly no protozoas or parasites. The vet said she had weak digestion and prescribed steroid

She was given the medicine for a week, and while she was taking it, she had a good poop

But a week later,It came back again. She ate well every day. I stopped squash here with advice, and added various greens and grasses to her diet.

I record her poop condition and diet every day. Bacteria & Enzyme provision with Lysozyme, probiotics, from last month, but not getting any better.

I'm going to see the vet again tomorrow. I'm gonna take her to the car and take her to an X-ray. What am I doing wrong if there are no protozoas? Is she born weak?

What's certain is, she used steroid medi and her poop returned to normal. But 2days after the medi stopped, it became strange again.

When I sent a photo of the poop to a seller, he asked me if I wanted to exchange it for another tort.I turned down the offer because I thought she wasn't just a thing.

I had a hermann tort for about 10 months before I brought her back.But I've never had a stool problem

What if she's weak in digestion and the vet prescribes steroids again?

20200418_081226.jpg20200419_072127.jpg20200420_070711.jpg20200424_074237.jpg20200507_070444.jpg
The 5 pics I uploaded are changes from Apr 18 to May 7

I'm so sad that this kind of thing keeps happening. I spent a lot of time at this forum and have studied by reading the advice and posts of the veterans.

I don't think I have the ability to raise her well.

Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm so sorry this problem keeps recurring. I wish I had help to offer.

I agree with you...she is not just a thing. She deserves to have someone like you to fight for her health and well-being. Don't give up on her.

And please...don't doubt your ability to raise her. I believe you are doing fine! You obviously really care for her. It's a matter of figuring out what's causing her troubles.

ISU

South Korea
I'm so sorry this problem keeps recurring. I wish I had help to offer.

I agree with you...she is not just a thing. She deserves to have someone like you to fight for her health and well-being. Don't give up on her.

And please...don't doubt your ability to raise her. I believe you are doing fine! You obviously really care for her. It's a matter of figuring out what's causing her troubles.
Thank you for your warm encouragement, Karen!

I met the vet today. Tests showed that there were no protozoas or parasites, and some streptococcus, staphylococcus, and bacillus were found(I don't know if this is right because I've never spoken these terms in English in my life.)

But today a new bacteria was found. (Clostridium) I've brought greens from outside since last month and I think they're from there.

He said her digestive absorption rate is very low and her intestines are inflamed. And he gave me a prescription for 6 days worth of medi.

I really think of her as my child and really want her to be happy and healthy...

The solarmeter 6.5 I ordered yesterday arrived today. I'm keeping the temp, UVB, and humidity accurate for her

(Her weight is 55g in Feb, 62g in Apr, and 66g today!)

Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You did great on the bacteria! They are a mouthful for all of us!

But that is a lot of bacteria! And they are all organisms that can sicken you too! Hopefully there are different strains that affect torts and not people, but be careful!

I think it's great that she continues to gain weight in spite of her infection. It's really scary when they stop eating.

Keep us updated. I really hope this time the meds do their job and she is healed.

Reactions: ISU

ISU

South Korea
You did great on the bacteria! They are a mouthful for all of us!

But that is a lot of bacteria! And they are all organisms that can sicken you too! Hopefully there are different strains that affect torts and not people, but be careful!

I think it's great that she continues to gain weight in spite of her infection. It's really scary when they stop eating.

Keep us updated. I really hope this time the meds do their job and she is healed.
I got you. I'll keep track and update her! Thank you so much!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Well, darn.

I am so sorry you are both going through this.

It is often said that reptiles don't get the same types of immune disorders that other domesticated pets do.

BUT. We are now breeding many generations in captivity, and our ability to select mates may not be optimal. Many breeders may only be concerned about appearance, size, things we can obviously see when animals reach breeding size...they may not wait very long after sexual maturity to start breeding.

We see metabolic/immune/hormonal/metastatic/etc. defects in many captive-bred species, some old to our care, and some relatively new (Sugar Gliders, Parrots, Guinea Pigs, Rats, Mice, Cats, Dogs...).

If all of the husbandry parameters are Optimal, and the steroid is the only thing that keeps digestion and gut flora stable, this is a troubling sign. Though easy enough to supplement, and usually affordable.

I have a dog who has taken low-dose steroids all his life for various immune problems, and he is well into his 15th year. It is possible to enjoy a Good Life as long as there is Good Support.

Make sure there is all-day access to clean water (steroids clear through the kidneys), and consider a twice-daily soaking schedule.

Ask the vet what specific herbs to add to her diet so that her kidneys and adrenals can be optimized.

ISU

South Korea
Well, darn.

I am so sorry you are both going through this.

It is often said that reptiles don't get the same types of immune disorders that other domesticated pets do.

BUT. We are now breeding many generations in captivity, and our ability to select mates may not be optimal. Many breeders may only be concerned about appearance, size, things we can obviously see when animals reach breeding size...they may not wait very long after sexual maturity to start breeding.

We see metabolic/immune/hormonal/metastatic/etc. defects in many captive-bred species, some old to our care, and some relatively new (Sugar Gliders, Parrots, Guinea Pigs, Rats, Mice, Cats, Dogs...).

If all of the husbandry parameters are Optimal, and the steroid is the only thing that keeps digestion and gut flora stable, this is a troubling sign. Though easy enough to supplement, and usually affordable.

I have a dog who has taken low-dose steroids all his life for various immune problems, and he is well into his 15th year. It is possible to enjoy a Good Life as long as there is Good Support.

Make sure there is all-day access to clean water (steroids clear through the kidneys), and consider a twice-daily soaking schedule.

Ask the vet what specific herbs to add to her diet so that her kidneys and adrenals can be optimized.
Thank u for ur kind reply. I'll do anything for her, and will do everything you told me.

Today is the 3rd day since I gave her the medi. There's no big change, but she's still eating well

ISU

South Korea
I gave her medi for 6 days. And the day before yesterday n y, she hardly ate and slept most of the day. But today, she's eating very well again.

I soaked her twice a day.Her poop doesn't look 100% good, but it's the least watery one I've seen recently.

The pics are from May 7,15,16, and 17

20200507_070444.jpg20200515_160100.jpg20200516_153337.jpg20200517_070534.jpg
20200517_081010.jpg

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
On another issue, your substrate there in the enclosure is way too dry! You need to add some water and get it all a bit wet / damp. Get a nice terra cotta plant saucer and sink it down into the substrate for a food dish. Why make your tort stretch up like that? Good luck!

ps - one large saucer for water, one for food. Sink them down into the substrate.

ISU

South Korea
Hello
Only the top surface of it is dry. Coco on the bottom holds moisture.Daytime humidity is over 80%, nightly up to 99.

I cleaned the enclosure n replaced the substrate yesterday. So it's quite hydrated

I ordered terracottas. Thank you so much!

20200516_110607.jpg20200516_113721.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hello
Only the top surface of it is dry. Coco on the bottom holds moisture.Daytime humidity is over 80%, nightly up to 99.

I cleaned the enclosure n replaced the substrate yesterday. So it's quite hydrated

I ordered a terracotta. Thank you so much!

View attachment 294600View attachment 294601

Very tidy looking enclosure. Still looks too dry, but I’ll trust your readings. I would still sink the water bowl down into the substrate so your tort can crawl over & down inside. Not up n over.

ISU

South Korea
Very tidy looking enclosure. Still looks too dry, but I’ll trust your readings. I would still sink the water bowl down into the substrate so your tort can crawl over & down inside. Not up n over.
I totally understand you. Thank you!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Her shell shows a lot of growth. Do you weigh her?

Those fecal balls are quite acceptable, especially considering what she was producing earlier.

One thing I have thought: try using the gut flora replacement only once a week now. If her immune system is having trouble managing microbes in general, too much of a good thing may be a problem.

ISU

South Korea
Her shell shows a lot of growth. Do you weigh her?

Those fecal balls are quite acceptable, especially considering what she was producing earlier.

One thing I have thought: try using the gut flora replacement only once a week now. If her immune system is having trouble managing microbes in general, too much of a good thing may be a problem.
It's 66g on May 9. Today I lost my diary app that recorded everything about her when I reset my cell phone. I certainly backed up the data, but it's gone :(

I understood ur advice well. Thank you

But I don't know if her weight is close to average. I brought her in Feb this year and she was 55g at the time.I haven't known the exact age since I brought her in
(I think I used an inaccurate measurement when she was 55g. 66g was measured immediately after she pooped in the morning, before drinking water)

I don't think she grew much because she had problems with protozoas, worms,bacterias n digestion

Last edited:

ISU

South Korea
I'm so glad to see some improvement! Let's just hope it stays that way. Maybe this is something she'll grow out of. Heal itself as she matures.
She ate a lot today and her poop was firm and dry. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm sure she's healthier than before

I haven't forgotten ur encouragement.Thank you so much, Karen!

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
You could also get some small flat stones and put them around the water dish to level things out. Gives them a bit of a workout walking over the stones.

ISU

South Korea
You could also get some small flat stones and put them around the water dish to level things out. Gives them a bit of a workout walking over the stones.
I saw what you said on Youtube. I'll consider it, too. Thanks!