wanting to get baby sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
Hey everybody,
Im new to this whole thing. My wife has always been into sea turtles and tortoises and all that. Just a while back she mentioned she found a tortoise breeder in our area and has been on the topic since! Now, I, for one, never thought I'd be having a conversation about purchasing a tortoise to have as a pet! Im one who's always had a weakness for animals. But the more she talked about them, the more I became curious. So I started researching everything about these little guys, and I gotta say, the more I learn about them, the more fascinated I get. So now I really want one! The past while, I've been researching more and more and taking notes and what have you. When I came across this forum, all the advice from everybody has really boosted my confidence. Now, I've noticed a lot of the owners are from California and Arizona and places like that. We are from upstate South Carolina. We get long, nice hot and pretty humid summers here and normally about a good five months of good cold weather. I would love some advice from experienced tort owners on how to care for a baby sulcata. Housing (especially during winters. We are just below the mountains so it usually gets quite chilly), best diets, etc.
How much will I spend on food every week? We are going to the beach in a few months. Could we take it to/on the beach with us? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
Put some more thought into this before jumping in there with one of the largest torts you can find. First, you will have to keep that baby inside for a good year or two and afte rthat they will be too small to keep outside in the cold winters for another year or two. You are getting an inside pet here until they get large enough to handle the cool weather.

Second, make sure you are willing to give up your yard for this guy. A sulcata needs the entire yard as it gets older to roam and graze. You can't keep him in a small wire pen like a dog.

Food now will cost you just a little each week because babies don't eat much, but as they get older you should expect to pay $5 to $10 a week or so on greens and mazuri food.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a sulcata, those are great torts and buddies. I just want you to be aware of what's in store. Also, there are a lot of them available through pet rescues from other owners who did not plan for the future, so if you want a juvenile or adult one instead then that is a great route to go. Gives a tort a home and is much cheaper. Good luck!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
If you've got the property...and a means to keep it contained...there's no reason you can't keep a baby sullie OUTSIDE all summer. It's a good idea to keep a habitat for nighttime (and the cold months), but I keep mine outside as babies most of the day Spring through Fall...only bringing them in at night. Perhaps this is a good reason why my largest 3 1/2 year old is 17" and 31 pounds! Interesting thing BTW...I've fed Mazuri daily for three years...and now they're eating grass and weeds ONLY 5 days a week...alternating the Mazuri every three days or so...and they're thriving more than ever. So, your only real investment will be containment, heating and lighting. If you don't have the extra money for chow...no biggie! Most of their diet should be grass and weeds anyway. There is no issue with taking them to the beach...I know a lot of sulcata owners that live on or near the beach.

argus333

5 Year Member
i bring mine up to the beach, some local food stores will give u throw away greens. ya and as deans says grass is bulk of food feeding isnt really a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.