Want to trade a male for a female sulcata

sharissa22

Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans LA
Greetings! I have a large 50 lb male tortoise that I would like to trade for a female. I have 2 males and have to keep them separated to prevent fighting. I'm not sure what the process is for this. Can anyone help?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Yeah, I agree with method89. You can't put a male and female together because the aggression will still be there. Plus the male will constantly harass the female to breed, totally wearing her out. I've heard of females that are torn and infected from an over zealous male. Not only that, but do you really want to have to find homes for a bunch of baby torts?

Sometimes groups of torts do well, but never pairs. If you had a group of 3, it might work. But 2 males and 1 female would be horrible for her. You'd need to do that trade for a female. Then you would have to get another tort that was old enough to be absolutely certain she was indeed a she.

With 1 male and 2 females you'd put them together. It may or may not work..they have to all get along. If one hates another, you're back to the beginning, now with 3 torts to separate and house!

Either maintain separate enclosures for each of your 2 males, or rehome one of them. All of the alternatives can produce a nightmare.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Greetings! I have a large 50 lb male tortoise that I would like to trade for a female. I have 2 males and have to keep them separated to prevent fighting. I'm not sure what the process is for this. Can anyone help?
In addition to never keeping them in pairs, females are much more valuable than males, so no one will take this trade. You will likely have to give away one of the males, and then they will both live happily ever after.