Want to know what all is involved in getting a leopard tortoise

Herman_WA

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hey, in a few years, I am looking to possibly adopt a young leopard tortoise. I think they are just a beautiful spieces of tortoise.
I figured if I ever hoped to get one I better start my recerch now..
I have heard they are very likely to getting respatory infections, MBD, and shell rot. Is this true?
I would also like to know.....
How big of an enclosure is recommended.
What temps and humidity levels.
How big they get.
And any other info you guys are willing to give me.

As I said I am looking for one in the next year or so, so I can do my research.
Thank you so much in advance.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
First off.. its great that ur doing ur research before making the decision to get one.
Second.. no tortoise is likely to get a RI, MBD, or shell rot if raised correctly.
Its a fairly large tortoise that will need a huge enclosure as an adult.
Here is Toms care sheet that will answer ur questions

Michigan
Hi! I have a young leopard and I am definitely no expert (so feel free to correct me) but I think I can help with he enclosure part. I have been recommended to use a 4’x2’ enclosure, but depending on the size you might need something bigger, a closed chamber is recommended which basically means that there are really no openings or and open top on the enclosure. Also, my tortoise has had MBD and a respiratory infection, I am definitely not proud of this but I think it’s good to share my experience so others don’t make the same mistake. I received proper care from my vet and it was due to improper humidity and lack of calcium I was told. Also, I didn’t buy from a very good website (Underground Reptiles) so he was not doing well when I got him. I noticed the MBD when he was dragging his back legs and the respiratory infection when he began to make squeaky noises. As far as humidity, I have been informed to keep humidity high around 70% (not positive) I maintain this by misting. One other thing that may be important is substrate, because some can cause respiratory infections. Coco coir and orchid bark are recommended I beleive. Anyways, anyone can feel free to correct me because again, I am no expert, but I have received a lot a valuable info from this sight and I have gotten my tort on the right path. Hope this helps :)

Herman_WA

Washington
Hi! I have a young leopard and I am definitely no expert (so feel free to correct me) but I think I can help with he enclosure part. I have been recommended to use a 4’x2’ enclosure, but depending on the size you might need something bigger, a closed chamber is recommended which basically means that there are really no openings or and open top on the enclosure. Also, my tortoise has had MBD and a respiratory infection, I am definitely not proud of this but I think it’s good to share my experience so others don’t make the same mistake. I received proper care from my vet and it was due to improper humidity and lack of calcium I was told. Also, I didn’t buy from a very good website (Underground Reptiles) so he was not doing well when I got him. I noticed the MBD when he was dragging his back legs and the respiratory infection when he began to make squeaky noises. As far as humidity, I have been informed to keep humidity high around 70% (not positive) I maintain this by misting. One other thing that may be important is substrate, because some can cause respiratory infections. Coco coir and orchid bark are recommended I beleive. Anyways, anyone can feel free to correct me because again, I am no expert, but I have received a lot a valuable info from this sight and I have gotten my tort on the right path. Hope this helps :)
I am so sorry about your tort, and will definitely keep you guys in my prayers.
Also, what kind of squeaky noise? Could you maybe describe it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey, in a few years, I am looking to possibly adopt a young leopard tortoise. I think they are just a beautiful spieces of tortoise.
I figured if I ever hoped to get one I better start my recerch now..
I have heard they are very likely to getting respatory infections, MBD, and shell rot. Is this true?
I would also like to know.....
How big of an enclosure is recommended.
What temps and humidity levels.
How big they get.
And any other info you guys are willing to give me.

As I said I am looking for one in the next year or so, so I can do my research.
Thank you so much in advance.
They are not prone to any of those things. Regular leopards usually grow to 14-16 inches, and occasionally to 18 inches. South Africans get a little bigger and heavier, and tend to be much more outgoing.

Cold clammy rainy climates are not the best place for a leopard, but you can make it work with some effort.

The care sheet that Chubs linked will give you all the current and correct care info.

Herman_WA

Washington
I live in a cold, clammy, rainy climate.....
It can't live outside, and don't have enough room inside...
?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just an fyi. 4x2 enclosure is only good for hatchling to about 1 or maybe 2 years depending on how fast he grows.
80% constant humidity and temps never below 80.
They are not prone to shell rot.
Not prone to a URI unless kept too cold or too humid with low temps.
Buying from a reputable breeder is one of the first and best things to do as you sadely found out. Glad all seems to be going well for you now. Just be aware that once they have had a URI they can get it again easier.

Michigan
I am so sorry about your tort, and will definitely keep you guys in my prayers.
Also, what kind of squeaky noise? Could you maybe describe it?
No worries, he is all better now, but thank you! The squeaking was sort of like the noise a handheld air pump makes... I know that sounds weird but that’s the best I can describe it, at first I mistook the noise for him just sucking into his shell.

Herman_WA

Washington
No worries, he is all better now, but thank you! The squeaking was sort of like the noise a handheld air pump makes... I know that sounds weird but that’s the best I can describe it, at first I mistook the noise for him just sucking into his shell.
So glad he recovered! ?
Hmm... my tort sometimes makes that noise....
Was that his only symptom?

Herman_WA

Washington
Thanks everyone for your comments! I am hoping to possibly get one in a few years! I think I can handle it!