Wandering tortoise

Al3x8

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I feel sooo bad, yesterday noon at 1:30 I lost my Russian tortoise. I was on the phone while outside with him and I watched and followed him for about 7 minutes. I don’t know when I took my eye off him but I did and when I got off the phone he was not anywhere on the right side of my yard where we were. :( I was on the phone for 16 minutes. I looked in all the places he usually makes a little burrow to nap and nothing! I looked all over my yard and outside my yard but nothing ;( has this happened to anyone before ? I miss the little guy. I wonder if maybe he’s just well hidden?? Or maybe he did just take off. I’ve been looking all today but still no sign of him

Attachments

• 6A3FD31F-CCA2-4EA8-814B-5295EA346DB8.jpeg
    6A3FD31F-CCA2-4EA8-814B-5295EA346DB8.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 37

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes this happens to everyone who lets their tortoise run loose outside. We tell everyone not to do this and most people argue and insist that they are supervising closely and that nothing bad can possibly happen. You know otherwise now.

Get down on hands and knees and look under every bush and nook and cranny down at tortoise level. Also look for disturbed dirt. They sometimes dig into the dirt to get out of the mid day heat, or to shelter for the night.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Try looking in the mornings, when the sun first comes out. They’ll usually be coming out to bask and graze.

I hope you find him soon! Make sure you don’t give up. They almost always show up again.

Al3x8

Texas
I did this morning!! But I won’t give up I’m outside again looking right now. I’ve taken breaks throughout the day but I’ve heard similar stories! I hope he does pop back up or I find him! <3
Try looking in the mornings, when the sun first comes out. They’ll usually be coming out to bask and graze.

I hope you find him soon! Make sure you don’t give up. They almost always show up again.

Al3x8

Texas
Yes this happens to everyone who lets their tortoise run loose outside. We tell everyone not to do this and most people argue and insist that they are supervising closely and that nothing bad can possibly happen. You know otherwise now.

Get down on hands and knees and look under every bush and nook and cranny down at tortoise level. Also look for disturbed dirt. They sometimes dig into the dirt to get out of the mid day heat, or to shelter for the night.
Yea I’ve heard similar stories, I’ve had him for 2 months now. I definitely understand why you would tell someone not to do this, they actually get places pretty quick! I take him outside daily but I’m hoping I find him.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Was it very hot when you were letting him out? If so, he would've dug down somewhere to cool down. If it wasn't he would keep wandering.

er9m

5 Year Member
EU
Please get a help from someone else if possible. The more people will search, the more chances to find it. Do not loose precious time.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Let your neighbors know about him.
If there are children in the area, get them looking. Offer a reward for him.
Print up fliers and post them on poles, etc.
Call any local animal shelters and tell them he is lost. Call every day and ask if any turtles have been brought in.
Put some yummy food out, and some water. He may come to it if he's just hiding.

I really hope you find him. Just don't give up looking. And start building his outdoor enclosure.

Ghazan

5 Year Member
block any exits so you can minimize your search area

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Get a bunch of folks to help. Get down on your hands and knees and search every inch. Look carefully--they blend in better than you think. Search outwards from where you last saw him. They can travel much farther than you think, but often hunker down not far. Make sure to check surrounding roads frequently to make sure not on road and at risk of getting hit.

Relic

Here
You might run the sprinklers - a good "rain" often stirs activity, and brings 'em out of hiding.

silverbird

Orange County, California
Good luck finding him. I have lost some of my Russians when soaking them, and they have gotten out and found them just sitting in the grass in the front yard, as they were able to get under my gate. Just enlist some friends and search around ever where, even places you don't think he would go.

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
Good luck finding him. I have lost some of my Russians when soaking them, and they have gotten out and found them just sitting in the grass in the front yard, as they were able to get under my gate. Just enlist some friends and search around ever where, even places you don't think he would go.
It may seem unnecessary, but search with bright flashlights. You'll be surprised with what you can't see in broad daylight!

Bieldesigns

Pelham
My heart goes out to you!! I am hoping you find your baby soon. The first time I let my little buddy out around the house I was shocked at how fast they move!! Keeping happy thoughts for you!!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Get a bunch of folks to help. Get down on your hands and knees and search every inch. Look carefully--they blend in better than you think. Search outwards from where you last saw him. They can travel much farther than you think, but often hunker down not far. Make sure to check surrounding roads frequently to make sure not on road and at risk of getting hit.
Hey, Happy Birthday! (it's my birthday too, but different years).

Sa Ga

MN
Yea I’ve heard similar stories, I’ve had him for 2 months now. I definitely understand why you would tell someone not to do this, they actually get places pretty quick! I take him outside daily but I’m hoping I find him.
Once he returns, try letting him out in a kiddie pool (but stay w/ him to protect him from other wild animals or wandering dogs/cats/etc. and to watch for any unanticipated escapes.). Put substrate and such in it, and pull the pool out to use and put away (in garage for instance) to keep it clean and dry.