Wander around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

taurusgi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hello! My Shiao-Heh (almost 2 yr old and about 4.2 inches long) likes to wander around all the time during summer! On the weekends, I tend to feed them later in the afternoon to force them exercise more (they would try to look for food). But I notice that Panda George (about 15 months old, about 2.5 inch long) doesn't wander as much as Shiao-Heh. After PG had some food, she tended to just sit there and do nothing.

On the other hand, Shiao-Heh would sit a little while after she eats, then she would keep making her rounds/ laps, and then rest, and then wander again, till the lights go off, and she would slowly go to bed at her usual hiding spot.

Does it sound like Shiao-Heh could be a boy!? I saw it on the forum that boys like to wander more... Or Maybe Shiao-Heh is more normal active, and Panda George is still too little to be that active? I mean, PG is still active, but she doesn't make as many "rounds" like what Shiao-heh does.

Is Shiao-Heh too big for her age? I don't know if she is big enough for me to post picture here so people can help me determine her sex yet? I got her from Danny and he told me most likely she would be a girl, but we couldn't be 100% sure when she was little. It just seems like Panda George grows a lot slower than Shiao-Heh! Shiao-Heh was 3 inches long already when she was PG's age....

Also, do you guys think I can start having them living together yet (assuming they are both girls)? Right now they are living in a huge tank ( about 3'x6') and there is a divider in the middle, so they each get about 3'x3. I was also wondering if Shiao-Heh is wandering around because she wants to get out or something, like she thinks her home is too small? (the tank is white so they couldn't see through). I really want to remove the divider, so that Shiao-heh would have more space to wander around, but I was worried she would bully Panda George!

Thanks for reading my story. Any thoughts are welcome!

I've attached some pics so you can see their size difference. The divider is in the middle of their food dish. Think they are ready to live together yet?

(they couldn't see through the divider either)

taurusgi said:
Hello! My Shiao-Heh (almost 2 yr old and about 4.2 inches long) likes to wander around all the time during summer! On the weekends, I tend to feed them later in the afternoon to force them exercise more (they would try to look for food). But I notice that Panda George (about 15 months old, about 2.5 inch long) doesn't wander as much as Shiao-Heh. After PG had some food, she tended to just sit there and do nothing.

On the other hand, Shiao-Heh would sit a little while after she eats, then she would keep making her rounds/ laps, and then rest, and then wander again, till the lights go off, and she would slowly go to bed at her usual hiding spot.

Does it sound like Shiao-Heh could be a boy!? I saw it on the forum that boys like to wander more... Or Maybe Shiao-Heh is more normal active, and Panda George is still too little to be that active? I mean, PG is still active, but she doesn't make as many "rounds" like what Shiao-heh does.

Is Shiao-Heh too big for her age? I don't know if she is big enough for me to post picture here so people can help me determine her sex yet? I got her from Danny and he told me most likely she would be a girl, but we couldn't be 100% sure when she was little. It just seems like Panda George grows a lot slower than Shiao-Heh! Shiao-Heh was 3 inches long already when she was PG's age....

Also, do you guys think I can start having them living together yet (assuming they are both girls)? Right now they are living in a huge tank ( about 3'x6') and there is a divider in the middle, so they each get about 3'x3. I was also wondering if Shiao-Heh is wandering around because she wants to get out or something, like she thinks her home is too small? (the tank is white so they couldn't see through). I really want to remove the divider, so that Shiao-heh would have more space to wander around, but I was worried she would bully Panda George!

Thanks for reading my story. Any thoughts are welcome!

I've attached some pics so you can see their size difference. The divider is in the middle of their food dishes. Think they are ready to live together yet?

(they couldn't see through the divider either)

More pics

Panda George with yummy flower!

I'll take a picture of Shiao-Heh's butt this weekend if you guys think she is big enough for determine sex now?

Attachments

• image-470967435.png
    image-470967435.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • image-3895976861.png
    image-3895976861.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • image-2907029320.png
    image-2907029320.png
    301.5 KB · Views: 23
  • image-3171218429.png
    image-3171218429.png
    291.8 KB · Views: 23
  • image-1646293617.png
    image-1646293617.png
    985.2 KB · Views: 37
  • image-1016418463.png
    image-1016418463.png
    915.3 KB · Views: 27

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Remove the divider and see how well they get along...if no bullying occors in the first day or two, it's fine, for the time being, anyway..

If bullying starts later, seperate them. If you have both a male and a female, start looking for another female or two (and a larger and/or outside enclosure)...males will literally "romance" a single female to death!

Two males will eventually be a problem, as well.

Two females may get along just fine.

taurusgi

5 Year Member
CA
image-3541889781.png

Shia-Heh's butt...

Thanks! :) I've attached some pics of Shiao-Heh. Can anyone help me determine her sex?
I was really hoping for two females so that I can avoid the situation Terry mentioned, so when I bought them, I asked the breeders what sex they thought their babies would "most likely" be... Too bad there is no way you can tell for sure! :p

Any comment on the wandering around? This morning I woke up, Shiao-heh is wandering around already. Wondering if she is just hungry or trying to escape!?

Also Shiao-heh is only 2 yr old and a bit longer than 4 inches. Not sure if she is big enough for sex determination? :p

Attachments

• image-3225503506.png
    image-3225503506.png
    183.3 KB · Views: 24

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
taurusgi said:
View attachment 23647

Shia-Heh's butt...

Thanks! :) I've attached some pics of Shiao-Heh. Can anyone help me determine her sex?
I was really hoping for two females so that I can avoid the situation Terry mentioned, so when I bought them, I asked the breeders what sex they thought their babies would "most likely" be... Too bad there is no way you can tell for sure! :p

Any comment on the wandering around? This morning I woke up, Shiao-heh is wandering around already. Wondering if she is just hungry or trying to escape!?

Also Shiao-heh is only 2 yr old and a bit longer than 4 inches. Not sure if she is big enough for sex determination? :p

Hope Shiao-heh is a dude's name, 'cause that's already a big tail!

Compare with this pic of a female Hermann's:

New%20uploads%20P1070788.jpg

See how wide, yet short, her tail is?

taurusgi

5 Year Member
CA
OMG!!!!! I refuse to accept the fact Shiao-Heh is a duuuuuude!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Shiao-Heh means Little Blacky in Chinese so I guess it could be either a boy or girl. But.... OMG!!! I've been calling and HOPING Shiao-Heh is a "she" for almost 2 yrs now... Sigh, maybe that explains why "he" wanders around so much?? :D

What am I gonna do now with a boy at home!? Guess I can never put Shiao-Heh with Panda George together till I move into a bigger place and find them more females.... :tort::tort::tort: Panda George better not grow up and turn out to be a boy too!

Thanks Terry. I'm still in shock.... but thanks still for your help! :p

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Assuming both are healthy I'd house them together until you see a sign that one bullies another. At that age, it'd take a while before the bullying starts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't put the two of them together. Pairs seldom work out. I'd would get at least one more to form a group, or just leave them separated. Whichever one ends up not being the dominant is not going to like the constant presence and activity of the other. In the wild they would move away from each other. In your enclosure they will be forced to deal with each other all day every day. This will likely be stressful for them.

All tortoises have different personalities. Some just wander more than others. Older ones tend to be more bold and fearless than younger ones.

taurusgi

5 Year Member
CA
Thanks guys for the suggestions! I really need to put some thought into their living situation here... Only if I have a bigger place!

Tom, I agree with you... Shiao-heh was definitely a lot more fearless than Panda George even when he/she was little! She flipped over all the time from climbing everywhere. :p Now she is finally getting big enough to flip herself back without me rescuing her.

Man, I really need to try to remember to call Shiao-heh a He from now on....

Status
Not open for further replies.