Walking on pavement

Status
Not open for further replies.

clucey

5 Year Member
I was wondering if it was odd or inappropriate for Tank to prefer walking on the sidewalk and pavement. He was rescued as a city tort but even with encouragement to peruse the open grassy areas he prefers long walks on the pavement. Please advise if this is unhealthy for him. We are awaiting our vet visit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TortForum mobile app

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
It will keep his nails maintained nicely :D and if he paces too much on the concrete that it begins to wear sores on his pads then you can take action to limit his concrete time :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It offers good traction. Compare it to you walking on sand or side walk. Much easier to walk on the sidewalk.

The bigger and heavier he is, and the more he does it, the greater the likelihood that he will cause damage to his feet due to the excessive abrasion. I'd keep it to a minimum.

clucey

5 Year Member
Thank u soo much....my husband is getting very attached to his walks with Tank.

Wonder if they sell tort walking pad shoes like they do for dogs.

Attachments

• 1369808258722.jpg
    1369808258722.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 143

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The other thing torts like is the warmth of paving. We have a brick edging to our patio and lawn. Joe uses it as a highway. In winter, when the snow is down, it thaws on the bricks first, so I can only assume the bricks absorb heat better than the surrounding grass and patio. Torts like warmth :)

If his claws get too worn (and they can bleed) then you will have to restrict his access to hard surfaces for a while

9see

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My Patita does the same thing! i live right next to a golf course full of grass but Patita ONLY wants to walk on the golf cart paved path LOL It really is halarious golfers always stop and take pictues of him and ask if i tranied him to stay on the path. I'm like NOPE! i'm following him ;op

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I was just wondering the same thing. We recently put some lush new sod in the backyard and no matter how many times we place our two CDTs in the middle of it, they find their way to the hardscape and dirt parts of the yard and stay there. They're much smaller than your handsome Tank, and the grass seems kind of cumbersome for them to navigate. If I could figure out how to upload video from my iPhone, I'd put up one I have of Gomez methodically making his way through.

clucey

5 Year Member
I would love to see some video

clucey

5 Year Member
Omgoodness can that be any cuter!

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you! The humans enjoy it at least. The torts are much more impressed by the giant dirt pile we have yet to move... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.