Walking around grass from Apartment complex

CurtB

Location (City and/or State)
San Jose, CA
Hey everyone, question,
im slowly taking my baby Tee outside to enjoy some real sun and next to my apartment unit - literally outside we have a small grassland area full of weeds and common grasses. I was curious, can I let her roam around the grass while monitoring her? I’ve observed the way my complex treats the grass area and for the most part they just have someone trimming or mowing the area once a week and the watering system usually turns on at night.

I have a blanket under her just for safety purposes.

Attachments

• A5F6F075-4E5D-4F74-BE4C-E8FF39DAD73F.jpeg
    A5F6F075-4E5D-4F74-BE4C-E8FF39DAD73F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 73B8A01F-4213-4E41-8E41-55465A1A232F.jpeg
    73B8A01F-4213-4E41-8E41-55465A1A232F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 6C822A47-FD39-4BE3-9773-6DCF0535A6AE.jpeg
    6C822A47-FD39-4BE3-9773-6DCF0535A6AE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 6FC279F8-BAAB-4087-928B-F87C1A1D5E7A.jpeg
    6FC279F8-BAAB-4087-928B-F87C1A1D5E7A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

Jeanettics

Sacramento, CA
Hey everyone, question,
im slowly taking my baby Tee outside to enjoy some real sun and next to my apartment unit - literally outside we have a small grassland area full of weeds and common grasses. I was curious, can I let her roam around the grass while monitoring her? I’ve observed the way my complex treats the grass area and for the most part they just have someone trimming or mowing the area once a week and the watering system usually turns on at night.

I have a blanket under her just for safety purposes.

I would ask the property manager of your complex if any pesticides are used on the premises.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The biggest danger is losing her. No matter how strictly you "never take my eyes off her", if your attention is drawn away for a second, you'll look back and she's gone.

Or a big dog running loose...he grabs her and runs. Or she finds something in the grass and eats it. Or a bird dives from the sky and takes her.

All of these scenarios sound far-fetched, I know. But they have all happened.

It's taking a huge risk. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
When I was a kid, I has a red eared slider turtle named spike whose I rescued from my cousin. I used to take him outside and play with him after I adopted him. He was outgoing, and liked head and neck pets. Then one sad day, I went inside forgetting about him briefly. When I ran outside he was gone! The cover for the septic tank on the property had been forgotten open! Spike had dived down into the septic tank!!!! A while later, the plumbing was messed up and my dad had it completely excavated to be opened up. I guess one of the workers saw something move at the opening of the inflow pipe.....
He rushed forward and grabbed Spike by the head and ripped his poor head right off...
Spike thought someone was coming to save him.

CurtB

San Jose, CA
Omg that’s so sad )’; I’m sorry that happened! Yeah, after everyone’s feedback I most likely will just let her play around once I setup an outdoor enclosure! Rather than being exposed

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Omg that’s so sad )’; I’m sorry that happened! Yeah, after everyone’s feedback I most likely will just let her play around once I setup an outdoor enclosure! Rather than being exposed
They make dog exercise pens that may help you. They fold down for easy carry

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Here is my theory - if the grass is beautiful and has no weeds - it’s not animal friendly.
No one will spend the time taking weeds one at the time. They will spray it.
I know few people who are property managers and yes the grass gets sprayed regularly.
Mostly they don’t want insects getting in, must look pretty etc.