Walker has me Concerned

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
He is a sulcata almost 25 years old, 160 pounds and has had a routine that he has followed for many years winter and summer. He hasn't come out of his house for 4 days something he has never before. He is alert, eyes look good and he defends his domain with vigor, which means he doesn't want me in the house. I'm worried about hydration more than anything else at the moment. His temperature settings are the same as they have been for years. I have 4 wireless temperature sending units in the house. He has always been sensitive to the barometric pressure but not for 4 days at a time.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I don't understand how you would know he is being affected by a change in barometric pressure? Not disputing you in the least. Can you feel a change? Is this change something is noticeable? Is it an East Coast thing? I just don't know what that is at all. Can you explain, so I can understand?

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Are you experiencing colder than average weather for this time of year?

Does he always defend his territory that way? If he is normally not so defensive he may have an injury you can’t see? My snake bit a towel the other day when it touched him, something he has never done in his life (14 yrs). I inspected and looked closer to find a small puncture from a rat he had just ate.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Can you tell if he's been pooping?
Yes he has. During the cold months he poops in his house and not outside. He will still pee outside sometimes. I looked inside this morning and didn't see any fresh poop. I give him leaf, romaine, ice burg lettuces along with opuntia and cucumbers to help with hydration. He also drinks water from his water bowls. He acts normal except for coming out of his house.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I don't understand how you would know he is being affected by a change in barometric pressure? Not disputing you in the least. Can you feel a change? Is this change something is noticeable? Is it an East Coast thing? I just don't know what that is at all. Can you explain, so I can understand?
I probably can't explain it so anybody would understand. but the lower the barometric pressure the chance of Walker coming out to wander around lessens. Today the pressure here is 28.10. I think it affects birds also, a couple weeks ago we had a storm on the way and I had no birds at the feeders which is very unusual. I called a friend and ask her what was going on with her feeders, no birds there either and she noticed something that I didn't, No squirrels at her feeders. I watched for my group of squirrels and none to be seen.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Are you experiencing colder than average weather for this time of year?

Does he always defend his territory that way? If he is normally not so defensive he may have an injury you can’t see? My snake bit a towel the other day when it touched him, something he has never done in his life (14 yrs). I inspected and looked closer to find a small puncture from a rat he had just ate.
It's cold but nothing out of the ordinary. He has always protected his domain. The only other living thing that goes into his house is Rocket one of my dogs. When I had the other 4 adult sulcatas none of them ever attempted to go in.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I probably can't explain it so anybody would understand. but the lower the barometric pressure the chance of Walker coming out to wander around lessens. Today the pressure here is 28.10. I think it affects birds also, a couple weeks ago we had a storm on the way and I had no birds at the feeders which is very unusual. I called a friend and ask her what was going on with her feeders, no birds there either and she noticed something that I didn't, No squirrels at her feeders. I watched for my group of squirrels and none to be seen.

Yep....I’m with you Len. As these cold/snow fronts moved in our barometric pressure dropped too. I watch it on my handy dandy gauge... i noticed the same with our feeders - animals birds reptiles all pretty much in tune with this stuff. They are on the internet less ? and have more time on their hands.

Ps - our Sully stayed in her house for a few days recently too. Inside, warm, lights, plenty of food....but in her nightbox. Yesterday, out & about as if all is normal. They know......

Our reading now - 29.90 and holding steady,

9F7356DD-A164-4882-8878-FDC281C9DA07.jpeg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Has it been colder than usual with the cold snap? Maybe he just doesn't want to venture out. Or has the pressure been bouncing around with the storm?

I sure hope he's OK! ??
No, the cold from whats going on in the middle of the country hasn't reached us yet. We've had rain, snow, sleet, freezing rain and sunshine over the past week. Something different every day it seems. I haven't been checking the pressure but with the constant changing weather it probably has been all over the place.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Yep....I’m with you Len. As these cold/snow fronts moved in our barometric pressure dropped too. I watch it on my handy dandy gauge... i noticed the same with our feeders - animals birds reptiles all pretty much in tune with this stuff. They are on the internet less ? and have more time on their hands.

Ps - our Sully stayed in her house for a few days recently too. Inside, warm, lights, plenty of food....but in her nightbox. Yesterday, out & about as if all is normal. They know......

Our reading now - 29.90 and holding steady,

View attachment 318702
Mark, I just went outside and we have a snow- sleet mix coming down. Temp is 34.2F. I don't think it will amount to anything but we had freezing rain sometime between midnight and 6 this morning that really slicked things up.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Mark, I just went outside and we have a snow- sleet mix coming down. Temp is 34.2F. I don't think it will amount to anything but we had freezing rain sometime between midnight and 6 this morning that really slicked things up.

Same here. Some remnants of the larger storm that swept through. Supposed to clear up later this afternoon. Funny enough, pressure on the decline again. 29.88 and ⬇️

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I definitely agree animals sense changes in atmospheric pressure. I do not know which our how their natural instincts do this but animals can tell when bad weather is coming. Horses are one of the sensing animals.
They sure do. Even fish in an aquarium in your home will go thru changes when there is drastic changes in the weather outside. They have the ability to "sense" all kinds of changes in everything that makes the world work.

Ddflinn

SPRING VALLEY CA
:eek: SOUNDS COLD. I THINK I WOULD STAY IN TOO. LOL
I'M IN SAN DIEGO CA, SHOULD BE 71 TODAY AND 80 :cool:MONDAY. I GUESS THAT'S WHY WE HAVE 3RD HIGHEST COST OF LIVING. I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTIING MY RUSSIANS OUTSIDE

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
So many of us with rheumatoid arthritis complain that our joints hurt more when it rains. We sit wrapped up in blankets saying "Oh, my aching joints!"

They really do hurt more, but the rain isn't the problem. With low pressure, our joints literally swell larger, causing increased pain. When the pressure rises again, it compresses the joints and they feel better.

Maybe Walker has some achy joints? :)

Len B

10 Year Member!
How's Walker doing today? :<3:
Today is a good day. This is what I saw at 11 o'clockPicture 001.jpgHe headed towards me so I got him some collards, romaine lettuce, a cucumber, a couple cactus pads and mazuri.Picture 002.jpgPicture 005.jpgHe drank a little bit of water but not as much as I wished he would.