Wakes up and runs away

Rachel_tzm

Hello all,

So my tort is still a baby at 5 and a half months and I've only had him a couple of weeks.

Yesterday he was pulling his head in and pushing it out under his basking light quite aggressively with his bum wedged right into his substrate. I figured he was trying to poo so tried to dig his bum out a bit and accidentally touched him and he darted away from me and kept darting in random directions for about a minute. I gave him some watercress and he calmed down so left him alone. Then this afternoon he was napping on me for about 15 minutes and then I felt him wake up all startled and scared and he darted like he did the night before like he had just woken up from a nightmare. Afterwards he kept swiping his head with his arm as if something was stuck in the skin between his arm and head, I had a good look but couldn't see anything. Any ideas why he is acting this way? I worry he is poorly/sick?

Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It sounds as if he has something stuck someplace. Take a good look at his tail and make sure there's no poop stuck to it, then give him a good all over inspection to be sure he doesn't have something poking him.

It may help to put him into a little tub of warm water and leave him in there for about a half hour. That may help dislodge whatever's bothering him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How often do you soak?

What sort of UV bulb are you using?

Rachel_tzm

Just gave him a warm soak and he seems relaxed, he's having a nap so hopefully that's done the trick.

It's a UVB bulb and I soak him daily but he doesn't like it very much. I can usually get him to stay in his bowl for about 10 mins every day. As soon as I start trying to actually wash his shell - trickling drops of water on him - he starts trying to get out. I put him back in the middle a few times but he doesn't give in and I don't want to cause any distress so give in and take him out.

Thanks for the help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Putting a tortoise in its water bowl is not soaking. They need a tall sided opaque tub that is too big to climb out of. 15-20 minutes is a good time frame for young ones, and you'll need to keep the water warm for the duration.

There are many types of UV bulbs. I was asking which type you are using. The reason is that the coil type cfl bulbs can damage their eyes. It hurts and it causes blindness (which would explain the surprised/panicked reaction) and it hurts which would explain the swiping.

Rachel_tzm

Okay thanks I'll take the soaking info and start doing this.

Not sure what kind of bulb it is in that case.. It came as part of a starter set as did all of the bits (tortoise table, hide, cuttlefish, basking lamp and original hemp bedding which I have changed to coco coir) seems everything given us has been wrong getting a bit frustrated with it all :( especially seeing as the site had such good reviews. I plan to change it all if needs be so have attached pics, any tips welcome.
IMAG0207.jpg IMAG0207.jpg IMAG0208.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know the world is full of conflicting info, but you are having a problem and to someone like me who has been keeping tortoises for decades the cause is obvious and easy to find. I don't know how to tell you who to listen to, but none of my 50 tortoises have the issue you are having and I see the issue you are having frequently. You can continue following the previous advice and continue having this issue, or you can take the advice of some guy on the internet that you don't even know and see if it helps. I'm happy to explain why I've reached the conclusions I have and feel comfortable making the assertions I make. Its all based on practical hands on experience over three decades. Others here on this forum ave also seen and dealt with this problem too and they will assure you that its all good info.

That type of bulb is called a compact florescent lamp (cfl) and a certain percentage of them cause retinal burns in tortoises and other reptiles. Not all of them do it. And not all people even notice they have a problem. You seem pretty tuned in to your new baby and so you noticed some symptoms and commented on them. Your comments led me right in the direction of this bulb and your soaking routine. These eye issues typically only have a few causes and its pretty easy to figure out most of the time. Anyhow, that bulb is burning your tortoises eyes. Turn it off right away. They are fine with no UV for a couple of weeks while you get something better. Look into mercury vapor bulbs or long tube style florescent bulbs. Arcadia makes both and they are a good brand. I use their 12% 36" and 48" bulbs in some of my indoor enclosures.

While we are fixing problems, that water bowl is literally a tortoise death trap. I recommend removing it right away. Tortoises can flip and drown in those. Happened to a member here with a russian tortoise just a few months ago. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work much better for food and water.

These will help you sort out the rest:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Rachel_tzm

Right, bulb switched off and water bowl removed.

I'll be making some trips to the local hardware store for new bits ASAP, pics to follow.

Thanks so much, people tell me I'm obsessive and worry too much but caring for a cat/dog is completely different and a million times less complex, especially when you can go to any vet and get expert advice. I care for him very much and take full responsibility for his health and happiness which should be the bare minimum expected for any pet owner.

Czech Republic
Rachel, I'm new to this too--and have made quite a few mistakes along the way. I think the key is to listening to the veterans here, which is what you're doing. Also, you're noticing troubling behavior and asking for advice before it gets really bad (e.g. blindness from the compact fluorescent). So you're definitely doing some things right, too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Right, bulb switched off and water bowl removed.

I'll be making some trips to the local hardware store for new bits ASAP, pics to follow.

Thanks so much, people tell me I'm obsessive and worry too much but caring for a cat/dog is completely different and a million times less complex, especially when you can go to any vet and get expert advice. I care for him very much and take full responsibility for his health and happiness which should be the bare minimum expected for any pet owner.

So glad to hear that.

With the right set up, things are so easy. Many people just seem so resistant creating the right set up or making changes to an incorrect initial set up.

We are here to help and we all love tortoises. Please feel free to keep asking lots and lots of questions.

Rachel_tzm

Rachel, I'm new to this too--and have made quite a few mistakes along the way. I think the key is to listening to the veterans here, which is what you're doing. Also, you're noticing troubling behavior and asking for advice before it gets really bad (e.g. blindness from the compact fluorescent). So you're definitely doing some things right, too.

Thanks and God bless the internet!! :)

Rachel_tzm

So glad to hear that.

With the right set up, things are so easy. Many people just seem so resistant creating the right set up or making changes to an incorrect initial set up.

We are here to help and we all love tortoises. Please feel free to keep asking lots and lots of questions.

Well I did have another quick question :p
Looking to replace his tortoise table with something that will help to heighten the humidity. I see lots of people using transparent plastic type tubs for their young ones but I seem to recall reading that Tortoises don't like obstacles that they can't see so not sure if transparent is the way to go... What do you reckon?

Thanks in advance :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well I did have another quick question :p
Looking to replace his tortoise table with something that will help to heighten the humidity. I see lots of people using transparent plastic type tubs for their young ones but I seem to recall reading that Tortoises don't like obstacles that they can't see so not sure if transparent is the way to go... What do you reckon?

Thanks in advance :)

There are many people on this site, myself included, that have been keeping tortoises in glass tanks and transparent tubs for many years with no issues. I have never had an issue with a tortoise incessantly trying to get through glass or plastic, and I appreciate being able to see them more easily, and have them see me and get used to the comings and goings of humans from a safe distance. I also like that the taller sides "restrict air flow". This is often listed as a complaint on some websites, but how is holding in warmer, more humid air, better air, a detriment? Its not. Cold dry household air is not good for our tortoises. Anything that reduces their exposure to this is a good thing. I've been using glass tanks for decades and have raised many different species in them. Most recently I just raised 20 russian tortoise hatchlings in my array of glass tanks.

Your plastic tub should work just fine, although I prefer a larger closed in chamber or "vivarium".

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
I have seen that water bowl mentioned several times as hazardous.
Is it meant for large tortoises ? What makes it dangerous ? I have seen it in the pet store and stayed clear of it.

Rachel_tzm

I have seen that water bowl mentioned several times as hazardous.
Is it meant for large tortoises ? What makes it dangerous ? I have seen it in the pet store and stayed clear of it.
I think it's just too steep for small ones.. It's supposed to be a water bowl so would be filled with water for him to drink throughout the day. If a bub was to take a wrong step and end up on his shell he could drown at worst and be stuck for hours till you found him at best..

I have ordered 2 terracotta saucers to replace both the water bowl and the green feeding tray as both are too hazardous in my opinion.