VP Biden going after Desert Tortoise Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
RE: Biden hates desert tortoise website

It's not okay to support a conservation website for a few hundred dollars a year, but it is okay to bail out greedy Wall Street crooks for $700 billion? I think you have your priorities backwards, Mr. Vice President.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

In all honesty anyone who thinks this government run website is only costing a few hundred dollars, needs to rethink government waste and spending, in all honesty this site is probably costing hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars, remember government does not need to follow budgets or control costs like those of you who run private websites. I think this make him look foolish beyond belief using this as an example of cutting government waste and spending.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California

dmmj said:
In all honesty anyone who thinks this government run website is only costing a few hundred dollars, needs to rethink government waste and spending, in all honesty this site is probably costing hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars, remember government does not need to follow budgets or control costs like those of you who run private websites. I think this make him look foolish beyond belief using this as an example of cutting government waste and spending.

I don't doubt that they are spending MORE then a few hundred dollars on the website otherwise it would not have even hit their radar.

I do however think it's a lame attempt to attack wasteful spending.

Much like the link I posted earlier, they have other places that they are spending way more unnecessary tax payer dollars. I would agree that the idea of creating a better enviroment is GOOD...but just wrong timing IMO. They are giving new cars to government agencies...ummm...thanks?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA

That site is running on a Dept of Defense system. You can count on it costing several 10's of thousands of dollars per year to operate. Be that as it may, shutting down ten thousand $10,000/year websites would only save $100 million per year or 0.0026 percent of the federal budget of $3.83 TRILLION. It would take 383 cuts of the same magnitude to come to 1% of the budget. Maybe we should look elsewhere for cuts...

Here's the FY2011 Federal budget, see what you can find! http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy11/pdf/budget.pdf

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto

There is definitely overlap and i can understand cost cutting (though this seems like small potatoes but gotta start somewhere i guess), you'd think he'd go with "Another website that drew criticism from the White House was a federal domain devoted to foresters who play the fiddle, but all that remained of www.fiddlinforesters.gov on Monday was a dead link.", instead of singling out an American endangered species. One consolidated website for all endanged species, foreign and domestic, does seem to make more sense. lol maybe he'll slap a bald eagle tomorrow. :D

Just a couple i found. Not dedicated like the domains in question but .gov none the less.
http://www.america.gov/endangered-species.html
http://www.fws.gov/endangered/
http://www.californiadesert.gov/animals.php

<waves sympathetically at his friends south of the border down America way>

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
RE: Biden pays for a website for desert tortoises

it costs the average joe about $5-10 to run a website for a year. I'll gladly donate the $5 to keep helping the torts in CA. *I'm disgusted with the current state of politics, esp in Florida.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
dmmj said:
In all honesty I am in favor of cutting waste, but how money will this save? wait if the government is involved it is probably a 10 million dollar a year project. I am sure "sheriff"(man if my grandpa an actual sheriff was alive he would be LOL on that description" joe could have found and reported on a better waste of the taxpayers money, right?

LOL, I know, right? I'm not sure about that site, but my own site costs me about $12 a year to keep registered. I pay a little bit monthly for the cart software. In all probability, taxpayers spent more on Biden and his security for a 10 minute rant about this site than it would cost to cover the cost of this site for the next 50 years.

Then again, like you said, the fact that it's govt alone probably makes it a 10 million dollar a year thing to keep running.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I wish "sheriff" joe would have told us tax payers how much this saved us. Cutting aid to foreign countries who are either hostile to us, or hide the most wanted terrorists would be a better start, and then the desert tortoise website could stay.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
dmmj said:
I wish "sheriff" joe would have told us tax payers how much this saved us. Cutting aid to foreign countries who are either hostile to us, or hide the most wanted terrorists would be a better start, and then the desert tortoise website could stay.

Agreed. Well said.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I can't think of any reason the federal government should be running a website dedicated to the desert tortoise.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
zesty_17 said:
jaizei said:
I can't think of any reason the federal government should be running a website dedicated to the desert tortoise.

how about the fact that the desert tortoise is federally protected, therefore it is in the government's best interest to inform and educate the public about this species to ensure its survival?

http://www.deserttortoise.org/answeringquestions/chapter2-1.html

And you prove your point by linking to the website of a private, nonprofit organization? :D

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
I was intending to show the levels of protection for said torts. -thought we were all on the side of the torts here?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
zesty_17 said:
I was intending to show the levels of protection for said torts. -thought we were all on the side of the torts here?
I don't understand.

Brooke

5 Year Member
Hello, I am new and this is my first post. I became a Russian Tortoise "Mom" when a little girl Tortoise whose name is now Lilly tried to push my concrete wall over on the morning of March 5, 2011. My dog was barking like I had never heard before so I went to investigate and there she was. She has opened up my world in many ways and we love her.

Regarding the topic of this thread, I have a suggestion for those of us who are in disagreement with Biden about the website. I am going to write him a letter and tell him how I feel about it.

Here is the link to contact him.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact-vp

Status
Not open for further replies.