VP Biden going after Desert Tortoise Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
RE: Biden to do away with desert tort website

Below is an article I was just about to post. GRRR He really makes me MAD! As if I cared for him before, but now I really don't. Apparently he doesn't know anything about tortoises. I really don't like his comment about dedicating a site solely to the desert tortoise, as there aren't enough funds for every animal. There is a limited population with certain species, so dedicating a site can be very vital compared to another. I have been stewing on this all morning!!!

Desert tortoise comes under fire from 'Sheriff' Biden
ShareretweetEmailPrint AFP/File – As part of the White House's recently launched Campaign to Cut Waste, Vice President Joe Biden says … – Tue Jun 14, 12:42 am ET
WASHINGTON (AFP) – As part of the White House's recently launched Campaign to Cut Waste, Vice President Joe Biden says one of his first wasteful spending targets is a website dedicated to the desert tortoise.

Biden, who was named by President Barack Obama to head up the campaign designed to identify and eliminate wasteful federal spending, said Monday that one example of such waste was a federally funded website dedicated to the desert tortoise, a threatened species.

In a message on the White House website entitled, "There's a New Sheriff in Town," Biden addressed potential cuts to spending.

"And I bet you didn't know that your tax dollars pay for a website dedicated to the Desert Tortoise. I'm sure it's a wonderful species, but we can't afford to have a standalone site devoted to every member of the animal kingdom," Biden wrote in the message also sent via email to supporters. "It's just one of hundreds of government websites that should be consolidated or eliminated."

The new campaign comes as the president and Republicans in Congress are engaged in difficult negotiations over the national debt and budget deficit.

There are nearly 2,000 federal .gov domains, according to the White House. Under many of these domains are smaller sites that result in an estimated 24,000 websites, and the White House said the redundancy creates confusion and wastes money.

Another website that drew criticism from the White House was a federal domain devoted to foresters who play the fiddle, but all that remained of www.fiddlinforesters.gov on Monday was a dead link.

"This kind of waste is just unacceptable. Particularly at a time when we're facing tough decisions about reducing our deficit, it's a no-brainer to stop spending taxpayer dollars on things that benefit nobody," said Biden.

The site identified by Biden, www.deserttortoise.gov, is managed by the Mojave Desert Ecosystem Program, a database about a desert area that spreads into California, Nevada, Utah and Arizona.

"The Fish and Wildlife Service is committed to saving the taxpayers' money. At the same time, we will continue to work with all agencies involved to protect all endangered species," agency spokeswoman Vanessa Kauffman told AFP.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA

I am hitting the disagree button. I agree it is wasteful to spend money on vacant buildings or needlessly shipping copies all over the place, but I strongly disagree about the website. No we don't need to devote a website to every animal out there, but endangered or vulnerable species yes!!! The website is informing people, making them aware of this species in the hopes of saving it.

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL

I don't understand how he thinks that trying to help a threatened species benefits nobody. Wasteful spending needs to be cut, but there are other things that use a lot more money that can be cut.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA

The funny thing is he mentions it as an example of one of hundreds of websites that should be shut down, you would think he would have picked an example that might not have had such a following as an endangered species.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

I think he hit a nerve with that one. I know at Red Rock Canyon in Las Vegas they have a Desert tortoise called Mojave Max and he is very big with school kids out there. I guess he thinks the few hundred dollars they will save is going to turn around our economy..

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR

"Committed to saving the taxpayers' money"??? Seriously?? I think that should be one of the three biggest lies ever told. I don't understand how these people can look at themselves in the mirror every morning.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Biden hates desert tortoise website

Of all the things we could do to save money, he finds something that costs like $100 a year maybe to attack... worthless politicians.

Desert tortoise comes under fire from 'Sheriff' Biden
WASHINGTON (AFP) – As part of the White House's recently launched Campaign to Cut Waste, Vice President Joe Biden says one of his first wasteful spending targets is a website dedicated to the desert tortoise.

Biden, who was named by President Barack Obama to head up the campaign designed to identify and eliminate wasteful federal spending, said Monday that one example of such waste was a federally funded website dedicated to the desert tortoise, a threatened species.

In a message on the White House website entitled, "There's a New Sheriff in Town," Biden addressed potential cuts to spending.

"And I bet you didn't know that your tax dollars pay for a website dedicated to the Desert Tortoise. I'm sure it's a wonderful species, but we can't afford to have a standalone site devoted to every member of the animal kingdom," Biden wrote in the message also sent via email to supporters. "It's just one of hundreds of government websites that should be consolidated or eliminated."

The new campaign comes as the president and Republicans in Congress are engaged in difficult negotiations over the national debt and budget deficit.

There are nearly 2,000 federal .gov domains, according to the White House. Under many of these domains are smaller sites that result in an estimated 24,000 websites, and the White House said the redundancy creates confusion and wastes money.

Another website that drew criticism from the White House was a federal domain devoted to foresters who play the fiddle, but all that remained of www.fiddlinforesters.gov on Monday was a dead link.

"This kind of waste is just unacceptable. Particularly at a time when we're facing tough decisions about reducing our deficit, it's a no-brainer to stop spending taxpayer dollars on things that benefit nobody," said Biden.

The site identified by Biden, www.deserttortoise.gov, is managed by the Mojave Desert Ecosystem Program, a database about a desert area that spreads into California, Nevada, Utah and Arizona.

"The Fish and Wildlife Service is committed to saving the taxpayers' money. At the same time, we will continue to work with all agencies involved to protect all endangered species," agency spokeswoman Vanessa Kauffman told AFP.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
RE: Biden hates desert tortoise website

Sorry, someone already made a thread about this. But thanks for the heads up :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

I have to say I did not even know of such a website? I don't know that I would rely to heavily on their information anyways....I am going to try to find this site....

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York

I can't even comment on this whole administration.......but maybe I will....it is a VERY dangerous joke.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Ok so I can no find the government Desert Tortoise website? Does anyone have it? Thank you.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California

ascott said:
Ok so I can no find the government Desert Tortoise website? Does anyone have it? Thank you.

See the second to my last post.

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona

I have 3 or so so indepedant websites that my husband and I run. It probably costs about $250 a year total. We don't have nearly the amount of traffic that the DT site does, but still. And even if there are "100's of useless sites", it runs what.... 100k a year? You know the gov't doesn't pay full price for anything.

Disgraceful.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
In all honesty I am in favor of cutting waste, but how money will this save? wait if the government is involved it is probably a 10 million dollar a year project. I am sure "sheriff"(man if my grandpa an actual sheriff was alive he would be LOL on that description" joe could have found and reported on a better waste of the taxpayers money, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.