Vomit? What to do?

Speedy101

Location (City and/or State)
North East England
Hi,
Speedy has been on the mend since his suspected RI in early October, I have since moved him to a tortoise table in the greenhouse, the temperatures at much more stable off the ground and easy to maintain. Basking is 32-35c ambient 25c and cool side at around 20c ( he is a Mediterranean spur thighed and is 13yrs). So I fed him a piece of pumpkin the other day a very small amount as a treat and I believe I have found it thrown up in his night box ( smelt like sick) could this just be an intolerance to the sugars in it he’s had it before with no issues? His poos are looking fine and solid and he went a day ago. Am I looking at something serious here? I can take him to the vets if needed however is it better to keep an eye on him for a couple of days as he did not react well to the last vet visit. Other than that he is eating and stomping around fine.
Thanks for the help :)

GMDVM

Ionia New York
If he only vomited once I would avoid a trip to the doctor due to how much stress is induced. Is he eating today?
perhaps extra soakings to assure he does not become dehydrated. And double check your temperatures. If he keeps vomiting then a trip to the vet is reasonable.

Speedy101

North East England
If he only vomited once I would avoid a trip to the doctor due to how much stress is induced. Is he eating today?
perhaps extra soakings to assure he does not become dehydrated. And double check your temperatures. If he keeps vomiting then a trip to the vet is reasonable.
Hi thanks for replying he ate earlier today and I soaked him but then he vomited once again, more than than the last time so I have booked an appointment for the vet first thing as I don’t want him to deteriorate as I’ve heard vomiting can be a serious symptom. Could it possibly be a parasitic infection because his immune system was lowered when he was a bit sniffly in October?

GMDVM

Ionia New York
Hi thanks for replying he ate earlier today and I soaked him but then he vomited once again, more than than the last time so I have booked an appointment for the vet first thing as I don’t want him to deteriorate as I’ve heard vomiting can be a serious symptom. Could it possibly be a parasitic infection because his immune system was lowered when he was a bit sniffly in October?
Internal parasites are one cause of vomiting. An obstruction , low temps , stress or eating something spoiled can also cause vomiting. I would make sure that your vet takes an Xray and checks a stool sample- so collect one before you go . Save it in the fridge ( airtight container) if you collect it a day or more before your visit. It is a good sign that he showed interest in food. Hope he gets better! Keep us posted.

Speedy101

North East England
Internal parasites are one cause of vomiting. An obstruction , low temps , stress or eating something spoiled can also cause vomiting. I would make sure that your vet takes an Xray and checks a stool sample- so collect one before you go . Save it in the fridge ( airtight container) if you collect it a day or more before your visit. It is a good sign that he showed interest in food. Hope he gets better! Keep us posted.
Okay thank you! I’m not sure I’ll be able to get a stool sample now though he went a day ago ( before I realised he was unwell) and usually goes every few days so I may be out of luck there. Can they do a cloacal swab? Thanks again.

GMDVM

Ionia New York
Okay thank you! I’m not sure I’ll be able to get a stool sample now though he went a day ago ( before I realised he was unwell) and usually goes every few days so I may be out of luck there. Can they do a cloacal swab? Thanks again.
Yes they can do a swab, hopefully enough of a sample. If he vomits again, bring that too.

GMDVM

Ionia New York
Okay, shall I use newspaper down as a substrate while he is not feeling too good?
Not a fan of newspaper in general because it contains so many chemicals . Maybe an organic cloth? or just leave his regular substrate. But if he has a parasite you should change it completely if he is indoors.

Speedy101

North East England
Not a fan of newspaper in general because it contains so many chemicals . Maybe an organic cloth? or just leave his regular substrate. But if he has a parasite you should change it completely if he is indoors.
Hi so he has been to the vets this morning. The vet if tortoises are being sick continually usually means something quite serious is going on, he managed to get a small, dry piece of faeces to look at under a microscope and said he saw worm eggs. He told me that any healthy tortoise could have that aswell but considering the other symptoms, he decided to deworm him, I have also been given some kind of probiotic, laxative thing to give him once a day to get things moving incase there is a blockage. I am to go back in two weeks to get the second dose of the de worming but I was told I should ring if there is no improvement and then he will be taken for an X-ray. So he is now getting a warm in his table, I’ve bumped the temps up a little, should I clean out all the substrate and put something down I can easy clean if in fact it is a parasite infection?
Thanks.

Speedy101

North East England
Hi so he has been to the vets this morning. The vet if tortoises are being sick continually usually means something quite serious is going on, he managed to get a small, dry piece of faeces to look at under a microscope and said he saw worm eggs. He told me that any healthy tortoise could have that aswell but considering the other symptoms, he decided to deworm him, I have also been given some kind of probiotic, laxative thing to give him once a day to get things moving incase there is a blockage. I am to go back in two weeks to get the second dose of the de worming but I was told I should ring if there is no improvement and then he will be taken for an X-ray. So he is now getting a warm in his table, I’ve bumped the temps up a little, should I clean out all the substrate and put something down I can easy clean if in fact it is a parasite infection?
Thanks.
Also I am to collect a decent stool sample that can be thoroughly examined.

GMDVM

Ionia New York
Thanks.
It would be a good idea to change the substrate to get rid of any parasite eggs that could reinfect him. Paper towels or cloth perhaps or those pee pads they sell for little dogs Change frequently until the second worming at least. Also try several small amounts of food instead of a big meal to begin with. Did your vet say what type of worm? Pinworms?

Reactions: Ink

Speedy101

North East England
It would be a good idea to change the substrate to get rid of any parasite eggs that could reinfect him. Paper towels or cloth perhaps or those pee pads they sell for little dogs Change frequently until the second worming at least. Also try several small amounts of food instead of a big meal to begin with. Did your vet say what type of worm? Pinworms?
He did not say I think that’s why he asked me to to take a proper stool sample in next appointment as he could only get a small sample.I have looked up the medicine I’m to give him and it’s not a laxative as such it’s a kind of anti sickness to help soothe his stomach but also help things get moving. Will be giving lots of soaks to combat dehydration as he has been sick again today :( Hopefully that is all that’s wrong with him and he’ll get better soon!

Speedy101

North East England
I give Speedy his first dose of medication called emeprid. Vet gave me syringe and told me to administer by opening his mouth, as you can imagine that was tough but we got it in however he was sick straight after which I believe we caused as he had not been sick all day yesterday ( he tried to gag but nothing came up) . He put up quite a fight which is a good sign I’m guessing, shows he has energy still. He is not eating which he usually does not after any sort of vet treatment/medication so I don’t think putting it in food is a choice. I am worried it is a stressful situation for him although it is over quickly. Any suggestions to make this easier on my poorly tort?

Speedy101

North East England
I give Speedy his first dose of medication called emeprid. Vet gave me syringe and told me to administer by opening his mouth, as you can imagine that was tough but we got it in however he was sick straight after which I believe we caused as he had not been sick all day yesterday ( he tried to gag but nothing came up) . He put up quite a fight which is a good sign I’m guessing, shows he has energy still. He is not eating which he usually does not after any sort of vet treatment/medication so I don’t think putting it in food is a choice. I am worried it is a stressful situation for him although it is over quickly. Any suggestions to make this easier on my poorly tort?
I am giving him a nice long carrot baby food soak today since he isn’t eating. Hopefully this will pick him up a bit :)

Speedy101

North East England
Speedy has been gagging whenever I offer or place food near him. He physically pushed food away from his face when I tried to hand feed ( which he usually loves) I thought this was odd as I thought torts didn’t experience nausea like we do?

GMDVM

Ionia New York
Sorry to hear that he is still vomiting. Good that you are giving him carrot soaks. That medicine is an antinausea drug and also increases GI motility If it is too stressful to give by mouth then it can be given by injection every 24 hours by your veterinarian. Also I would recommend an Xray.

Speedy101

North East England
Sorry to hear that he is still vomiting. Good that you are giving him carrot soaks. That medicine is an antinausea drug and also increases GI motility If it is too stressful to give by mouth then it can be given by injection every 24 hours by your veterinarian. Also I would recommend an Xray.

Hi, would an X-ray rule out anything serious?

Speedy101

North East England
Also can I just ask, how long should I let speedy go without eating before I ring my vet again it’s been 3 days since last meal. Obviously I’m guessing the medication will affect his gut flora and appetite but how long before I should get seriously worried? He’s back at vet on the 8th could he wait till then? I’m trying everything to persuade him and will continue to but nothing is working at the moment .