Vitamins..???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raffiel the RT

5 Year Member
Help! My Russian tortoise won't eat his vitamins! I got him two days ago, so I'm pretty new at this. The pet store was out of vitamin supplement and it's a two hour drive. So I bot the pellets that said were rich in vitamins but he won't eat it
because they,re hard and colorful. What should I do??

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would not offer the fruity pebble hard food...this is not something a tortoise would naturally eat....I would stick to offering dark leafy greens...if you have had your tort for only a few day---it can take a tort a couple weeks or more to feel settled into their new home.....

So would suggest you set up a routine of lights/heat on in the am....food offerings and then go away and not pester/stress the tort out...see, a tort coming into a new environment gets stressed and the calmer and quieter of an environment/enclosure that you provide the quicker the chances are the tort will settle and begin to explore the enclosure in a positive way and will then be more in the mood for food....

This species of tort really really really :)D) thrives with outside time...so I would set the tort up a safe, secure and escape proof outdoor space/yard for the nice weather...

I do not use vitamin supplements (I did for a short time with a redfoot when I initially adopted her because she has some weakness issues) so I can not advise to you which is best or not...however, others here likely will be able to offer up some vitamin choices as a supplement....also, if you are using too much of the vitamin supplement your tort can absolutely smell it and likely will not want to touch it.....so a varied diet is key.

http://russiantortoise.net/vitamin_a.htm
http://russiantortoise.net/russiantortoisediet.htm

These are a couple informative links, you may already have stumbled across them, but thought I would share in the event you have not....

Status
Not open for further replies.