Vitamin c as a dechlorinator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saloli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
middle river
As anyone here ever used vitamin c as a dechlorinator for their boxer's water if so did you notice any difference from the regular type?

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Hey as to answer your question it works, i did it for all my fish and boxes it takes less than 5 secs to be dechlorinated. Also another way to dechlorinate is to go to any pet store or even wal mart and get an aerator with an air stone and aerate for 24hrs and the chlorine will turn into a gas and bam no more chlorine....more efficient. But if you use vitamin C (powder form) the rule is 1000mg per 100gal.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Thanks I know about the aeration method. You can also leave it in an open container for 24 hour the chlorine will dissipate as it is like the CO2 in soda. I was wondering if there were any benefits to the animals that where noticeable.

Thank you though.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Sounds interesting, do you use just vitamin c powder, or is it a liquid, or what?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
AustinASU said:
Hey as to answer your question it works, i did it for all my fish and boxes it takes less than 5 secs to be dechlorinated. Also another way to dechlorinate is to go to any pet store or even wal mart and get an aerator with an air stone and aerate for 24hrs and the chlorine will turn into a gas and bam no more chlorine....more efficient. But if you use vitamin C (powder form) the rule is 1000mg per 100gal.

(Note- 1000mg is 1gram)

Here is a pretty straightforward and reliable article about it. What I found most interesting was the confirmation that 'passive' dechlorination (letting it sit for 24 hours in an open container) was still the preferred way when possible.

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/html/05231301/05231301.html

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Okay. I actually know metric better then English standard measure gallon and inches and teaspoons are a pain to use.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't be offended...lots of dummies (like me) read the forum! :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How fun.....have never heard of this...but I am certainly game to try it out....

So my issue is this; what type of vitamin C powder, I mean like there is the fizzy tablet kind, the absorbic acid kind, the buffered kind????

What is the type you use....can you post that brand and what is says on the label, this way I can make sure not using the wrong one....

Also, do you then do the water change (or add of water) then just add the vitamin c powder....do you wait any amount of time....then do you plop the turtles back in ....or can you do water change, add turtles then add powder? LOL...when ever I hear something I have not heard of before I need to know the exacts before I feel comfortable trying it... :D:D:D:D:D

Fricken sweet, love learning new stuff...

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
emysemys said:
Don't be offended...lots of dummies (like me) read the forum! :p

You're not a dummy. From what you have posted you seem pretty intelligent. I'm not offended.

ascott said:
How fun.....have never heard of this...but I am certainly game to try it out....

So my issue is this; what type of vitamin C powder, I mean like there is the fizzy tablet kind, the absorbic acid kind, the buffered kind????

What is the type you use....can you post that brand and what is says on the label, this way I can make sure not using the wrong one....

Also, do you then do the water change (or add of water) then just add the vitamin c powder....do you wait any amount of time....then do you plop the turtles back in ....or can you do water change, add turtles then add powder? LOL...when ever I hear something I have not heard of before I need to know the exacts before I feel comfortable trying it... :D:D:D:D:D

Fricken sweet, love learning new stuff...

There are commercially available ones used for fish. I try to use rain water when I can mainly because our tap water is a bit hard and higher pH then the streams and other freshwater in the area.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Be careful with the fish one....sometimes they put embalming fluid ( won't harm fish but will kill reptiles) in the vitamin C...just be careful.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
As in formaldehyde? That stuff isn't used any more it was used as an ich treatment not dechlorinator.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Yeahp, aqueon still uses it and tetra fin........ATM makes a natural dechlorinator with vitamin C i'd check that out as well.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
AustinASU said:
Yeahp, aqueon still uses it and tetra fin........ATM makes a natural dechlorinator with vitamin C i'd check that out as well.

I did not know that. I am aware of the ATM product. I don't use either aqueon or tetra. I use API tap water conditioner which doesnt have a bunch of stuff in it. There is one made for reptiles but I can't remember who makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.