Vitamin A/D and Doxycycline injection

Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach California
Hi Tommy,
Welcome to the forum!! So glad you’re here where people can help.
I just wanted you to know I did this exact same thing.
I too have a large (though female) sulcata and I got her a vitamin A shot....
But in her BACK LEG!!!!
DO NOT EVER DO THAT!!!
She has since recovered but there remains a small lump (which used to be much bigger) in her back leg to this day...
I don’t know why they do it???
Veterinarians should just come out and say they don’t know about giving shots to torts.
They do it all wrong... if it should even be done at all!!!
I am sorry for what you are going through..
I started mine back out with mixing Mazuri into her food..(soak in water first) ..

1-Keep soaking him...
2- offer food all times of day eventually he will be hungry and eat..
It sucks but that’s pretty much all you can do for now...
3– ADD UNFLAVORED PEDIALITE TO HIS SOAKS!!!! (I just remembered). That gives him electrolights atleast....
4-keep him warm that stimulates hunger..
If I can think of anything else I will get back to you...
But now I’m going to text the big boys to tell you their professional opinion.
OK ....
good luck my friend !!!
I will send you hugs and prayers!!
eventually he’ll be fine. ??

@Tom
@Yvonne G
@maggie3fan
Really appreciate it, yeah he got the A/d in his front left leg and got super swollen hope it’s going down soon. Looks like it’s a little better. I soak him everyday 10-15 mins did add electrolytes to the warm water. Changed the substrate everyday to keep it clean. Switch over from hay to bark mulch so I try to keep it more humid.
i try to feed him everyday, Pirate didn’t ate in like a week now. Probably a good idea to increase the temperature ?!
i got some critical care herbivore what I try to feed him but not really any success with that haha it’s hard to force feed those fellas.try to not stress him out so only time I pick him up when I soak him. He loves mazuri so I offer him that ever day too. Also try to raise the humidity to 80% which one of the member recommended, have to probably build him a tent.
Thanks for all your good tips appreciate it everything!

I've included the links twice previously. In post number 2, and again in post number 5. Are they not coming through? Sometimes I can't get links to work right, or there is a discrepancy between people using computers and people using phones. I can try to link them again in a different way if needed...
Hey Tom! Got them to work on the laptop. Thank you!!!

Hi Tommy,

I’m in HB as well. I am curious what vet you visited as my guy is going to see a vet tomorrow. Also, if you need mulberry leaves or branches there are 4 trees in front of Brethren Christian (old Gisler school) that is scheduled to be demolished soon so no one cares if you take leaves and/or branches.

I use the Reptile Basics Thermal Heater and have been very pleased with it. I do have a Kane mat but I’m still trying to work the kinks out of that. For reference my guy is a 5 year old Sulcata, 20+ lbs living outdoors in an insulated dog house. Good luck to your buddy.

Belinda
Sorry forgot to answer your question about the vet, I went to all creature care cottage in Costa Mesa. Good luck for tomorrow, hope everything is gonna be fine

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Really appreciate it, yeah he got the A/d in his front left leg and got super swollen hope it’s going down soon. Looks like it’s a little better. I soak him everyday 10-15 mins did add electrolytes to the warm water. Changed the substrate everyday to keep it clean. Switch over from hay to bark mulch so I try to keep it more humid.
i try to feed him everyday, Pirate didn’t ate in like a week now. Probably a good idea to increase the temperature ?!
i got some critical care herbivore what I try to feed him but not really any success with that haha it’s hard to force feed those fellas.try to not stress him out so only time I pick him up when I soak him. He loves mazuri so I offer him that ever day too. Also try to raise the humidity to 80% which one of the member recommended, have to probably build him a tent.
Thanks for all your good tips appreciate it everything!

sounds like you are doing everything right.
Yes I would raise the temps and humidity.
That is always the way to go when sickness is there.
Keep us posted on his eating ok?
If all else fails maybe try mixing pumpkin (from the can) into his food? They seem to like that too...
or just throw him a pizza! ?
Who could refuse pizza??!!!!
No just kidding DONT DO THAT!!!
it may give you even MORE problems that you don’t need..
ok... YOU eat the pizza ?!! ?
I’ll keep checking in to see your progress.
Good luck best wishes and I will keep you in my prayers for a healthy recovery...?❤️

sounds like you are doing everything right.
Yes I would raise the temps and humidity.
That is always the way to go when sickness is there.
Keep us posted on his eating ok?
If all else fails maybe try mixing pumpkin (from the can) into his food? They seem to like that too...
or just throw him a pizza! ?
Who could refuse pizza??!!!!
No just kidding DONT DO THAT!!!
it may give you even MORE problems that you don’t need..
ok... YOU eat the pizza ?!! ?
I’ll keep checking in to see your progress.
Good luck best wishes and I will keep you in my prayers for a healthy recovery...?❤

yeah try to do the best I can to help him. Bought a big humidifier today so my humidity is in the 70s now kinda hard without building a full covered enclosure. Little guy didn’t ate in a week now so he really gotta be upset. everyday I mix it up and try to feed em all different kinda grasses cactus... no Success success yet.
haha I will have a pizza that’s for sure ??? ok thats a good idea with the pumpkin. ok sounds good I will keep you guys posted. Let’s hope for the best??????

Update on Pirate: did X-rays with him, doesn’t look like he has MBD and in the inside it looks healthy. He had stool the last couple days, still doesn’t eat yet. Temperature is in the 80s and he also got a nice basking spot about 90-100. Humidity is 70-75. He is still not really active but moves into different temperatures so I guess that’s a good thing. Continue soaking him everyday for like 15 mins, started to add some pumpkin squash to it and I have like a reptile vitamin soak powder what I add once a week. Looks like his swelling in his front leg gets down ( he still doesn’t use it normally) try to keep this program going and hope for the best... On Saturday I took a sample from his stool to the vet so I should have an answer tomorrow. Thursday we go back to the vet and if we don’t have any bigger improvements I’m gonna do a full blood test.

Attachments

• 954954ED-0A50-45B3-A63B-9371C96B2A0B.jpeg
    954954ED-0A50-45B3-A63B-9371C96B2A0B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 1FC9BDC2-BBFE-48B5-A1DC-640F3BCF5561.jpeg
    1FC9BDC2-BBFE-48B5-A1DC-640F3BCF5561.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • EE613C3B-C4F8-4C57-BAD1-B89056D05A57.jpeg
    EE613C3B-C4F8-4C57-BAD1-B89056D05A57.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Update on Pirate: did X-rays with him, doesn’t look like he has MBD and in the inside it looks healthy. He had stool the last couple days, still doesn’t eat yet. Temperature is in the 80s and he also got a nice basking spot about 90-100. Humidity is 70-75. He is still not really active but moves into different temperatures so I guess that’s a good thing. Continue soaking him everyday for like 15 mins, started to add some pumpkin squash to it and I have like a reptile vitamin soak powder what I add once a week. Looks like his swelling in his front leg gets down ( he still doesn’t use it normally) try to keep this program going and hope for the best... On Saturday I took a sample from his stool to the vet so I should have an answer tomorrow. Thursday we go back to the vet and if we don’t have any bigger improvements I’m gonna do a full blood test.

maybe try to soak him longer? Like for an hour. Make sure the water is warm . Almost a little hot. But not too hot..
As soon as he is done stick the food right under his head . Lettuces and Mazuri and whatever else you give him everywhere for the taking. When he is warm he might eat?
?❤️?

maybe try to soak him longer? Like for an hour. Make sure the water is warm . Almost a little hot. But not too hot..
As soon as he is done stick the food right under his head . Lettuces and Mazuri and whatever else you give him everywhere for the taking. When he is warm he might eat?
?❤?
Sounds like a good idea, just try to not stress him at all... I try to soak him for a little longer and see. Have food everyday fresh for him. Try all kinds of different grasses hay Mazuri even peppers just try to give him colorful stuff so he maybe gets stoked on it. I’m sure we gonna get him back to eat eventually. ??????

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Like a special herb wrap or something, just thinking outside the box, try to help him get his swelling down. Not sure if they make any natural creams or so

are you taking him to a reptile/exotic animal vet ? i looked at the place you listed earlier , i didn't see one ?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Like a special herb wrap or something, just thinking outside the box, try to help him get his swelling down. Not sure if they make any natural creams or so

yes but when they make these items it is intended for humans no?
not sure what it could do when it seeps into a tortoises skin?
could it give them a “rush”? Or worse fast heart beat?
Could it give them a downer like feeling?
Their chemical balances may be different from ours ,no????
I don’t know... I am definitely no expert....
But what if exercise helps?
walkin’ around a lot would have some sort of effect....?

yes but when they make these items it is intended for humans no?
not sure what it could do when it seeps into a tortoises skin?
could it give them a “rush”? Or worse fast heart beat?
Could it give them a downer like feeling?
Their chemical balances may be different from ours ,no????
I don’t know... I am definitely no expert....
But what if exercise helps?
walkin’ around a lot would have some sort of effect....?
Yeah I guess we would never know. He is not walking around normal, he just moves from his different temperature spots... and he doesn’t use his leg anymore where he got the injection. So he can’t really exercise ??‍♂️. Hope the swelling is going down more soon, that’s probably the reason he doesn’t use it.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Yes he treats reptiles and exotics all the time, doesn’t make sense to me that he gave him an Vitamin a/d injection ?

was it a one time injection of doxycyline ?? what does he say about the swollen leg ?? you'd think he'd at least wonder about it , as it's far from normal ....... i've never used injectable doxycycline , i don't believe it is a one and done treatment , i've used oxytetracycline , and it is for real what folks think baytril is at the injection site ....... so that may be a possibility , if that is the leg ...... it is odd the vet is not concerned ?

was it a one time injection of doxycyline ?? what does he say about the swollen leg ?? you'd think he'd at least wonder about it , as it's far from normal ....... i've never used injectable doxycycline , i don't believe it is a one and done treatment , i've used oxytetracycline , and it is for real what folks think baytril is at the injection site ....... so that may be a possibility , if that is the leg ...... it is odd the vet is not concerned ?
Yes it was a one time doxycyline injection in his left leg, he said the swelling should go down really soon. I think it went down a bit, but it’s still super swollen, which keeps me really concerned. His skin didn’t changed, no wounds or anything.