Visit from a Snapper

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
My relatives live off a lake and have noticed a lot of turtles this year! The ladies have been laying eggs left and right. When we visited this past weekend, we found evidence that predators were digging up nests (lots of eggshells in the lawn). I hope a good number of baby turtles still make it this year!

We were sitting inside on a rather wet day in late May when I looked out the window and saw a snapper in the middle of the lawn. She appeared to have already laid her eggs and was resting before her hike back to the water. She was probably around a foot long, to the best of my recollection, and a pretty good looking specimen. We checked on her before departing and she did make it back to the water, albeit not via the easiest route (part of the yard is quite a steep slope down to the water)—in true turtle fashion.

1624515104884.png

1624515875293.png

1624515907035.png

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I wonder what happened to her tail ? They are a common sight around here this time of year. Got the Potomac River a pond and a marsh area all within a few hundred yards of me in different directions.
I just love seeing them each and every time. My relatives have helped move some off their street this spring too. I hope the drivers have been paying attention. Maybe we need more "turtle crossing" signs...