Vision Cages/Animal plastic cages

Kaliman1962

i have been doing research, these vision cages have great reviews but are expensive, animal plastics a little cheaper 72"X30"X18" for $399, has anyone used these cages? is it better to just build one? i'm not sure what to do cause the cage is expensive. any feedback is well appreciated
Thank you

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
If your handy building one is easy and cheaper. However animal plastics and vision cages are awesome. Also depends in which species your keeping. For more sensitive indoor species like Egyptians I'd recommend these for sure. But if you have a species that will outgrow it rapidly, then building one is the best route to commence on.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Vision cages and AP cages are really good quality. But I believe that they were both created with snakes/ lizards in mind. The way the dimensions work make setting up over head lighting tricky. You would likely have to end up cutting into the cage itself to install lighting, and even then the lights would be resting above the enclosure which is not ideal either. For the same 400 you could build yourself a really nice functional closed chamber that fits the needs of your Tortoise better. Just my opinion based on what I typically see people buying these types of enclosures for.

And your sulcata would outgrow it in probably 2 years time or less.

Kaliman1962

My little guy is 4 months old, (sulcata), i was thinking of having a friend help build me a tank, i just need it enclosed to keep humidity
the Vision/Animal tanks do look awesome, but do i want to spend that much for only a couple years

Kaliman1962

Alexio, thank you, i think the vision cages have outlets inside them for heat & UVB, do you have any plans i can see on ideas to build an enclosure?

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I don't have any plans per say... I have a few different types of closed chambers I have built though. All really simple and fairly cheap,

This is an assortment of a few of the different ones I have built . I would be happy to go over details/ specifics about any/ all

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I don't have mad furniture building skills. I also don't like bare wood or using plastic bags or tarps to waterproof wood. I am thinking I may get a professional plastic cage for my tort, even if it only lasts up until she is 2. I can hand it down to the box turtles.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Alexio, I see you have a ceramic half log like mine. I can't remember where I got mine, do you know where to find them?

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I am 90% sure I got it at a pet co. I used the wooden half logs for a while but I discovered a LOT of mold on the top of one one day and I threw them all straight in the garbage. The ceramic ones work nicely though.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I'll check a petco. I want another and cant find one.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Well, PetCo did have one that is at least very similar. On Sale AND they have free shipping right now! Win/ Win!

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Well, PetCo did have one that is at least very similar. On Sale AND they have free shipping right now! Win/ Win!
Always a good day when you get a sale price and free shipping.

I also used it to make this : my leopard loves it and sleeps in her new "cave" every night.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Always a good day when you get a sale price and free shipping.
No doubt. Thanks for the heads up on that hide. I didn't want wood in the high humidity and was having trouble finding a decent one in another material. The one I have is very realistic, ceramic, almost a work of art. I just don't remember where I got it, used it when I had a bird eater.

Kaliman1962

I'm thinking of ordering the animal plastics T25, 72" long, 30" wide 18" high, this should keep him for a while