Virus supplies worldwide comparison

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
They're using foot baths (walk through trays) over there for COVID? I wonder what they're using in them.

I vaguely recall that with the foot-and-mouth disease outbreak in the UK in 2001, at least some foot baths (on whichever side of the pond) contained a Virkon product.
I remember the UK thing.
But no idea what's in it. wifey doesn't know either.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
COVID IN MOROCCO.

Government locked down early in March.
Soon stopped international travel, nobody allowed in or out, even Moroccan nationals not allowed to come home. A few repatriation flights were permitted for tourists stuck in Morocco but most had to remain here.
Shut most shops and all the mosques.
Exceptional movement permits necessary even for a visit to the potato shop.
A night time curfew was introduced.
Riots in three cities were met with a heavy response and ringleaders imprisoned.
Social media fearmongers and those posting fake news were also arrested.
Military vehicles patrolled the streets.
Within days facemasks became compulsory and the country had so many there was no excuse for not wearing them and we exported them to our poor European neighbours who had shortages and increasing case numbers and deaths. We also make our own ventilators.
The police arrested a few thousand people for breaking rules.
People behaved themselves and we had very few cases and deaths.
Even this was slowly declining.

Then came Ramadan and before the festival at the end of the fast, the government eased the shutdown.
Families travelled about, people stopped wearing masks, cafe's reopened (and some mosques) Moroccans stranded abroad returned and this continued to Eid al Adha, the bigger festival, a month or so later.
So, we now have increasing cases, more deaths than ever and Morocco is becoming the new epicentre for Africa.
People refuse to wear their masks again and all hell is about to break loose.
Masks are one of my prevention methods and not just for covid. At least I don't look so weird anymore when I wear them. Anyone that doesn't take some precautions against a virus going around is just plain dumb.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I remember the UK thing.
But no idea what's in it. wifey doesn't know either.

I think a lot of public swimming areas used to use those foot bath solutions. I remember as a kid going to a large amusement park with a large pool that used those foot cleansing areas for everyone entering the swimming pool area. Nothing like a 100% chlorine rinse on ones feet prior to a swim.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Things have returned to a little normalcy for me even though cases are exploding here again. I'm back to work now. The almost 4 month unemployment vacation was nice, but it got old quick. Now that I'm back to work im just trying to be mindful and take any precautions I can to protect myself. Im still avoiding most public places. Doesn't seem everyone has that same mentality though.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
@Tidgy's Dad Do people in Morocco go barefoot?

When we lived in Tripoli, Libya, we took a week long trip over to Morocco. Stayed in Marrakesh (tourist mecca) which has so many things to see, but also traveled all about the country. Mountains, lakes, farms, and the coast. Rented an old villa that had a sunken pool in the courtyard. The coast at Essaouria was fantastic - fresh fish platters!

B8038D5F-0A1E-474E-86E5-0C887CE3A1F5.jpeg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My son's infant grandson had the infant version of the virus (only one in the household with any version of it). Spent a couple days in the hospital, then sent home with meds.He's fine now.
James has a grandkid? Wow, I'm older than I thought. Alex's?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Not usually.
Sandals or babouche View attachment 303203 in the summer.
Shoes or sandals in the short winter.
I didn't think they'd go barefoot necessarily, but after @Maro2Bear's comment about foot baths at public swimming places when he was younger... I was curious if perhaps there was another risk factor in there somewhere.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I didn't think they'd go barefoot necessarily, but after @Maro2Bear's comment about foot baths at public swimming places when he was younger... I was curious if perhaps there was another risk factor in there somewhere.
Mark @Maro2Bear mentioned Essaouira, a lovely place, but also famous for the variety of scorpion species in the area. Every year, several children die from scorpion stings there, because they are walking among the rocks barefoot. The parents won't let them wear footwear as it's 'not traditional'.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Foot baths are often used as part of biosecurity measures when there's a highly contagious, highly transmissible agricultural disease (usually diseases affecting livestock, but sometimes also for diseases affecting plants) that needs to be contained.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I been saying "I practiced social distancing since before it was fashionable"; and my sister is worse than any of us, believe me.
Maybe that's why so many of us are so comfortable calling people friends and knowing we'll likely never meet.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
@Tidgy's Dad
I'm fascinated by other cultures.
Most Americans hardly ever leave the continental United States.
And even tough I've been throughout the Caribbean, the places and people are not vastly unlike areas of Florida.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
@Tidgy's Dad
I'm fascinated by other cultures.
Most Americans hardly ever leave the continental United States.
And even tough I've been throughout the Caribbean, the places and people are not vastly unlike areas of Florida.

Yes. It is good to get a passport and travel. Most of my travels have been to the Caribbean, Europe, Russia and it’s former territories and parts of the Middle East and Africa. Some on holiday, longer stays for work. Like....who can say they have visited or lived in Baku or Kyiv or Tbilisi for months on end! As well as a month or two in Sana’a, Yemen.
It’s a large world out there. I spent time trekking in Nepal and walking about the streets of Karachi & Islamabad (Pakistan) as well. Ogh, weeks in Vienna, and Zurich and ALL of England & the Hills n Dales of Yorkshire & Scotland. Yes, overnight stays in cold castles are fun, as are dark, cold cabins in Armenia & Azerbaijan. A week or two in Cairo & Alexandria are fun too. Ogh, did I mention Turkey? And the wonderful buffets & grilled mackeral sandwiches ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes. It is good to get a passport and travel. Most of my travels have been to the Caribbean, Europe, Russia and it’s former territories and parts of the Middle East and Africa. Some on holiday, longer stays for work. Like....who can say they have visited or lived in Baku or Kyiv or Tbilisi for months on end! As well as a month or two in Sana’a, Yemen.
It’s a large world out there. I spent time trekking in Nepal and walking about the streets of Karachi & Islamabad (Pakistan) as well. Ogh, weeks in Vienna, and Zurich and ALL of England & the Hills n Dales of Yorkshire & Scotland. Yes, overnight stays in cold castles are fun, as are dark, cold cabins in Armenia & Azerbaijan. A week or two in Cairo & Alexandria are fun too. Ogh, did I mention Turkey? And the wonderful buffets & grilled mackeral sandwiches ?
In 1976 my gonna be second ex-husband worked for a cargo airline that flew out of Alameda Naval Air Station, (Calif). We flew every freakin where for free. Might have gotten slightly cold. And it was loud and uncomfortable, did I say free? We stayed in Europe for about 6 months. Amsterdam, yep, so much fun, and the 'pomfritz' handed out in waxed paper cones with mayo was wonderful. All the old castles. I liked Holland and Belgium the best. Denmark next. London was surprisingly fun, and I walked Abby Lane. Too kewl!!!
It's too bad I've gotten so old so quickly, I really had a very different mindset and lifestyle and a lot of actual fun.Then in my 50's and 60's I drove truck over the road. I got to go places and see and do things that I would not have ever been able to do, see or experience. I got 1 day off for every 7 I worked. So I would stay out for 7 weeks, the 5th 6th and 7th week on the East Coast where I made 5 more cents a mile for every load I picked up and delivered east of the Mississippi and for my time off I'd request a load to wherever, New Orleans. Georgia...Didn't matter, my DM would get me a load to wherever I wanted. I was a kind of a prima donna, and a very good truck driver.?