Virus supplies worldwide comparison

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
It's okay. On some of these Off Topic Chit Chat threads, it can take a while to get a feel for the "personality" of the individual thread... Especially since those personalities can change over time. :)

I want to make sure that we are not making our newer or younger members feel unwelcome or excluded from these off topic threads because there is a lot to learn, even if it isn't all tortoise related. ;) We sometimes get a better sense of the individual personalities of other members in these off topic threads, which helps us to understand the humor and how various comments may be intended (less likely to be read as offensive) in other threads.

Don't be afraid to seek clarification or ask for more information (background or context). Where someone is coming from is often just as important to the information being conveyed in a post.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
In Florida the data on age of death for COVID related deaths is not readily available, certainly not to the general public.

Age data is somewhat more available for COVID cases, although criteria for what constitutes a case is not readily available and/or clear.

The ages on COVID cases, especially on new cases, have dropped significantly.
As the numbers of cases increase, the ages of individuals involved have decreased.

Florida did a good job early on, for the most part, in locking down (not allowing visits to) nursing homes to help protect some of our most vulnerable population.

However, we now have a shift with cases occurring in people in their 20s and 30s.

We're dealing with quarantine fatigue and cabin fever in a state that never gets snowed in and doesn't usually have to shelter for more than a few days at a time. This fair weather sheltering stuff doesn't make intuitive sense to most people.

I just assume older people die more often from covid than younger people …….. florida has a much older population than new York or new jersey ……. the chances of dying from covid , on average in florida is a fraction of what it is in new jersey or new York …….. judging on what it said about age , for florida to match new York they'd need 40-50k deaths ……… seems to me I remember in the beginning that dr. birx saying before this was over something like 70% of the population would need exposed ……… nobody ran out of icu beds or ventilators , not even new York with how badly that state was managed ….. there is a respiratory coronavirus in dogs , it's easier to get vaccines for animals than people , they don't have a vaccine for respiratory corona in dogs , they don't have a vaccine for the corona that causes colds in people , what will we do if they don't come up with a vaccine ? it's a real possibility ……… i believe sweden had 0 new cases yesterday , everyone there been exposed ? my opinion is the only reason new york is not still leading the world in new cases is a majority of their population has already been exposed to it ........... possibly if florida had done a lousy job containing it , they would have less people available to be infected and their numbers would be lower at this point.........

The Tortoise Tree

Venus
It's okay. On some of these Off Topic Chit Chat threads, it can take a while to get a feel for the "personality" of the individual thread... Especially since those personalities can change over time. :)

I want to make sure that we are not making our newer or younger members feel unwelcome or excluded from these off topic threads because there is a lot to learn, even if it isn't all tortoise related. ;) We sometimes get a better sense of the individual personalities of other members in these off topic threads, which helps us to understand the humor and how various comments may be intended (less likely to be read as offensive) in other threads.

Don't be afraid to seek clarification or ask for more information (background or context). Where someone is coming from is often just as important to the information being conveyed in a post.
Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I am on this forum to find out what is best for my tortoise, not to get everyone's taste on politics

I'm not trying to condemn or support either political party.
Just some sort of leadership would be nice.
This is kind of like throwing a bunch of babies into a pool and hoping that they'll either float or be able to swim with no lifeguards

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I tend to think it's more of an indication it needs to run it's course …… keep in mind florida has a much older population than new York or new jersey , one of the oldest populations in the united states ………..

some stats ,
pop. florida ……..21.5 m …….. cases 179,000 .... deaths 3,600 …… death rate 2%
pop. new york….19.5 m ........cases 401,000 …..deaths 31,800 ……death rate 7.9%
pop. new jersey. ..8.8 m ……cases 175,000 ….deaths 15,200 …….death rate 8.6%
pop. texas …….. .29 m ……cases 189,000 ……deaths 2,600 ……..death rate1.3%
pop. ohio …….. .11.5 m …... cases 55,000 ……deaths 2,903 ………death rate 5%
pop. california ..39.5 m ……cases 254,000 ...…deaths 6,300 ...…… death rate 2.5%

could be worse Ed , you could have Cuomo or murphy for governor ……… florida .California and texas so far have done much better than the national average ………
DeSantis is a Republican.
Our Democratic candidate for governor ended up being a crack head.
I didn't put a political spin on the facts.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
In Florida the data on age of death for COVID related deaths is not readily available, certainly not to the general public.

Age data is somewhat more available for COVID cases, although criteria for what constitutes a case is not readily available and/or clear.

The ages on COVID cases, especially on new cases, have dropped significantly.
As the numbers of cases increase, the ages of individuals involved have decreased.

Florida did a good job early on, for the most part, in locking down (not allowing visits to) nursing homes to help protect some of our most vulnerable population.

However, we now have a shift with cases occurring in people in their 20s and 30s.

We're dealing with quarantine fatigue and cabin fever in a state that never gets snowed in and doesn't usually have to shelter for more than a few days at a time. This fair weather sheltering stuff doesn't make intuitive sense to most people.
The blood mobile is providing free antibody testing and I believe COVID-19 tests for a fee.
Donations are WAY UP.
The busses are always full now.
Most times in the past that I've donated my O+, I had the whole bus to myself.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
At least nobody can see my name
Everyone's opinion matters here.
And even if you're 14 years old, it's fine to toss in your opinion.
This development and others are shaping YOUR world as a young American.
I'm old.

Last edited:

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
DeSantis is a Republican.
Our Democratic candidate for governor ended up being a crack head.
I didn't put a political spin on the facts.

gotcha Ed , politicians suck …….. most of them are a bunch of inept skillless folks with no integrity , some are obviously and blatantly stupid ……… term limits , most of them would be unemployed and unemployable ……..

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
The blood mobile is providing free antibody testing and I believe COVID-19 tests for a fee.
Donations are WAY UP.
The busses are always full now.
Most times in the past that I've donated my O+, I had the whole bus to myself.
I'm O+ as well, and from what (a little) I've seen on blood types and susceptibility to COVID symptoms, we may be less likely to show symptoms, or less likely to have a worse time of it, than someone with an A+/A- type.

I don't think anything I've read on COVID symptoms and blood types had been fully reviewed or peer reviewed at the time, so the above paragraph is subject to revision in light of sound science. Or whatever other disclaimers apply. ;)

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I'm O+ as well, and from what (a little) I've seen on blood types and susceptibility to COVID symptoms, we may be less likely to show symptoms, or less likely to have a worse time of it, than someone with an A+/A- type.

I don't think anything I've read on COVID symptoms and blood types had been fully reviewed or peer reviewed at the time, so the above paragraph is subject to revision in light of sound science. Or whatever other disclaimers apply. ;)
Anyone looked into the eat right for your blood type book? I feel the science and info is good, that being said if a person has been eating for their blood type they are more likely to have a successfully functioning immune system. Its been a while since I read the book, but if I remember correctly, the O’s have a more
wide variety of foods they can eat then the A’s. So the poor A’s may be eating things that render certain body systems to not perform well.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Anyone looked into the eat right for your blood type book? I feel the science and info is good, that being said if a person has been eating for their blood type they are more likely to have a successfully functioning immune system. Its been a while since I read the book, but if I remember correctly, the O’s have a more
wide variety of foods they can eat then the A’s. So the poor A’s may be eating things that render certain body systems to not perform well.
So...Type O blood makes me a Redfoot tortoise?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

Frankly, that's what makes the TFO so special.
We talk about a lot more than tortoises here.
And its actually a pretty good place to vent an issue. Or to make a friend.
We've had many very interesting off topic chats.
This one is boring in comparison

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am on this forum to find out what is best for my tortoise, not to get everyone's taste on politics
If you don't like the subject matter simply go to another thread. It's really simple. The Virus thread, the off topic chit chat are adult (sorta) humor.The moderator thread, my Knobby thread all adultish. You are a new person and yet you are complaining about the way OUR forum is set up? Seriously?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Frankly, that's what makes the TFO so special.
We talk about a lot more than tortoises here.
And its actually a pretty good place to vent an issue. Or to make a friend.
We've had many very interesting off topic chats.
This one is boring in comparison
And all those topics eventually relate though. My son told me today that if a hospital relates a death to covid 19 they get more money. Although Ohio is saying the case number has continued to go up at an alarming rate, the hospitals in our capital are pretty much empty. My daughter in law is an RN and volunteer to help. She's only getting a couple covid patients at a time now.