Virus supplies worldwide comparison

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A lot has changed.
Maybe not for the best.
Most places of business are open. Traffic is normal. People are out and about and most supplies are back on the shelves.
But the virus is still going strong.
I still don't personally know anyone that has become infected.
Unfortunately, the fear is wearing off.

KronksMom

Illinois
A lot has changed.
Maybe not for the best.
Most places of business are open. Traffic is normal. People are out and about and most supplies are back on the shelves.
But the virus is still going strong.
I still don't personally know anyone that has become infected.
Unfortunately, the fear is wearing off.
I know several people who have had it. One person said it was horrible. When I asked her what it was like, if she had body aches, like with the flu, she said much worse. She said it felt like her entire body was being stabbed by knives. But she's recovered know, along with the rest of her family. So have the rest of the people I know who have had it so far, but none of them said it was that bad. Being essential has it's downsides.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Effective yesterday, Leon County (Tallahassee), passed an emergency ordinance requiring individuals in (indoor) business establishments in the county to wear face coverings. There are exceptions to that requirement (persons under the age of six years, persons with medical reasons not to wear a mask, persons exercising as long as they maintain the six foot social distance, et al). It had been voluntary up to this point, except as required by the individual business establishments themselves or as required of certain professions licensed by the state.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I got my hair cut just over a week ago, for the first time in months. It was an odd experience, having to wear a mask to get my hair cut. It was also the first place I had been where they had to scan my forehead with a thermometer when I walked in.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I got my hair cut just over a week ago, for the first time in months. It was an odd experience, having to wear a mask to get my hair cut. It was also the first place I had been where they had to scan my forehead with a thermometer when I walked in.
They're being silly with all that. Not having a fever doesn't mean you aren't carrying and spreading the virus. I guess the best thing to do is keep your fingers away from your eyes, mouth, and for heaven's sake don't pick your nose in public. If you do please warsh your hands!?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Its official
Florida is now the worlds epicenter for COVID-19 cases.
Mostly, I suppose because of our incompetent and irresponsible governor and his almost total lack of leadership decisions or rules.
There is no cohesion. No cooperation from county to county.
The jackass has a "hands off approach".
Congratulations governor DeSantis.
Let Florida be a shining beacon of exactly what NOT TO DO.

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Its official
Mostly, I suppose because of our incompetent and irresponsible governor and his almost total lack of leadership decisions or rules.
Ohio is slowly getting there too. I watch the news everyday and never heard that hocking county was so bad that the national guards were there. That was last months news. The only reason I know that is because my daughter in law is a nurse. We have family there. Not all news is getting out I guess...

The Tortoise Tree

Venus
Its official
I am on this forum to find out what is best for my tortoise, not to get everyone's taste on politics

KronksMom

Illinois
Then stay on tortoise related topics. This whole thread exists under "Off Topic Chit Chat". That's what this one particular thread is for. Venting about what's going on in the world right now as it relates to Covid-19. You don't need to participate. We didn't start talking about our stuff on your thread, you came onto ours.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I am on this forum to find out what is best for my tortoise, not to get everyone's taste on politics
On the TFO, we do typically steer clear of hot button issues like religion and politics. (That's why some of us participate on the TFO and won't go anywhere near FB... too much drama.) We do accommodate some venting, though.
And if you know @ZEROPILOT (or once you get to know him better), you know he does not typically venture into posting anything overtly political. For me, reading his post underscored the venting and intense frustration right now over a situation that we're pretty much powerless to resolve.
It's a scary thought for some of us that your generation may come to accept wearing masks to attend high school and college as "normal."

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Its official
Much worse in your part of the state, I believe.

Granted, if there's a people-related or population-related snafu in Florida, there are three counties in South Florida where you would most expect said issue to occur. And @ZEROPILOT lives in one of them.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Its official

I tend to think it's more of an indication it needs to run it's course …… keep in mind florida has a much older population than new York or new jersey , one of the oldest populations in the united states ………..

some stats ,
pop. florida ……..21.5 m …….. cases 179,000 .... deaths 3,600 …… death rate 2%
pop. new york….19.5 m ........cases 401,000 …..deaths 31,800 ……death rate 7.9%
pop. new jersey. ..8.8 m ……cases 175,000 ….deaths 15,200 …….death rate 8.6%
pop. texas …….. .29 m ……cases 189,000 ……deaths 2,600 ……..death rate1.3%
pop. ohio …….. .11.5 m …... cases 55,000 ……deaths 2,903 ………death rate 5%
pop. california ..39.5 m ……cases 254,000 ...…deaths 6,300 ...…… death rate 2.5%

could be worse Ed , you could have Cuomo or murphy for governor ……… florida .California and texas so far have done much better than the national average ………

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I tend to think it's more of an indication it needs to run it's course …… keep in mind florida has a much older population than new York or new jersey , one of the oldest populations in the united states ………..

some stats ,
pop. florida ……..21.5 m …….. cases 179,000 .... deaths 3,600 …… death rate 2%
pop. new york….19.5 m ........cases 401,000 …..deaths 31,800 ……death rate 7.9%
pop. new jersey. ..8.8 m ……cases 175,000 ….deaths 15,200 …….death rate 8.6%
pop. texas …….. .29 m ……cases 189,000 ……deaths 2,600 ……..death rate1.3%
pop. ohio …….. .11.5 m …... cases 55,000 ……deaths 2,903 ………death rate 5%
pop. california ..39.5 m ……cases 254,000 ...…deaths 6,300 ...…… death rate 2.5%

could be worse Ed , you could have Cuomo or murphy for governor ……… florida .California and texas so far have done much better than the national average ………
In Florida the data on age of death for COVID related deaths is not readily available, certainly not to the general public.

Age data is somewhat more available for COVID cases, although criteria for what constitutes a case is not readily available and/or clear.

The ages on COVID cases, especially on new cases, have dropped significantly.
As the numbers of cases increase, the ages of individuals involved have decreased.

Florida did a good job early on, for the most part, in locking down (not allowing visits to) nursing homes to help protect some of our most vulnerable population.

However, we now have a shift with cases occurring in people in their 20s and 30s.

We're dealing with quarantine fatigue and cabin fever in a state that never gets snowed in and doesn't usually have to shelter for more than a few days at a time. This fair weather sheltering stuff doesn't make intuitive sense to most people.