Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just lost my job. Got layed off.
That's very hard. I'm sorry. I hate to be all doom and gloom, but I'm thinking it's going to get worse before it gets better. Whatever you do, don't go stand in line directly next to all those others who are waiting in line to file for unemployment. Try to stay away from the germs. What kind of work did you do?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's very hard. I'm sorry. I hate to be all doom and gloom, but I'm thinking it's going to get worse before it gets better. Whatever you do, don't go stand in line directly next to all those others who are waiting in line to file for unemployment. Try to stay away from the germs. What kind of work did you do?
I do warehouse work. This is actually the second time I've been laid off in the past 2 years! I've only been with this company a short period of time and I kind of saw this coming. It has been getting slower and slower every day and they already cut our pay. I should be eligible for unemployment. I've already filed online a little while ago. If that comes thru I'll be ok. It's honestly probably for the better. My 87 year old grandmother lives with me and I've been really scared I'll catch it and bring it home to her.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I've been going out about once every 2 days to get local restaurant food and to walk.
But now I wear gloves and a mask.
All the gloves do is collect bacteria on them and are really a bad deal...carry hand sanitizer with you...be careful of what you touch and just spray your hands as you go...don't touch your face, (I have long hair and am constantly tucking it behind a ear). be very aware of what you touch, think about it first, and spray spray and spray...much better than gloves...and please think about your car door handle, and the steering wheel, your keys...your credit card, don't use money, spray the keypad, your hands and the card...and...most of all...stay safe and don't get stressed out... ? today we will hit the 70's for the first time in 6 months...I will wash and wax my car...yippeeee and let tortoises out

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
All the gloves do is collect bacteria on them and are really a bad deal...carry hand sanitizer with you...be careful of what you touch and just spray your hands as you go...don't touch your face, (I have long hair and am constantly tucking it behind a ear). be very aware of what you touch, think about it first, and spray spray and spray...much better than gloves...and please think about your car door handle, and the steering wheel, your keys...your credit card, don't use money, spray the keypad, your hands and the card...and...most of all...stay safe and don't get stressed out... ? today we will hit the 70's for the first time in 6 months...I will wash and wax my car...yippeeee and let tortoises out
I've noticed that I touch my face like a million times a day.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I do warehouse work. This is actually the second time I've been laid off in the past 2 years! I've only been with this company a short period of time and I kind of saw this coming. It has been getting slower and slower every day and they already cut our pay. I should be eligible for unemployment. I've already filed online a little while ago. If that comes thru I'll be ok. It's honestly probably for the better. My 87 year old grandmother lives with me and I've been really scared I'll catch it and bring it home to her.
Oh man, I am so sorry about your job...but so glad and proud the you are caring for your gramma...what a loving thing you are doing for her....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I was just trolling Ebay and found 5 liter bottles of 99.9% alcohol for about $14.
More than four vendors had some.
I ordered 2 bottles.
If you need any, go to Ebay and search 99.9% alcohol.
I'm kind of surprised to see any available.
I'm kind of waiting for an Email saying it's backordered.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's not all doom and gloom.
It's what we make out of this mess.
If the APEX of this virus is still 2 to 3 weeks away. Then the end of it would be 2 or 3 months after that....
Simple math.
But I'm a realist. I'm thinking that right after the apex, when new cases start to plummet, there will be masses headed back out prematurely to resume normal life. Maybe ushering in another full blown episode.
At some point, the masses are just going to say to Hell with all of this.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
It's not all doom and gloom.
It's what we make out of this mess.
If the APEX of this virus is still 2 to 3 weeks away. Then the end of it would be 2 or 3 months after that....
Simple math.
But I'm a realist. I'm thinking that right after the apex, when new cases start to plummet, there will be masses headed back out prematurely to resume normal life. Maybe ushering in another full blown episode.
At some point, the masses are just going to say to Hell with all of this.
I am so convinced that you're correct! The officials in my county have just made it mandatory that masks of some kind be worn when in public. It's OK if just a bandanna is tied over mouth and nose. Not wearing something is punishable by a fine of up to $1000., and/or jail time.

You would think we had to be in body casts from the reactions! "They are getting us ready for martial law!" We're losing all our personal freedoms!" "They will be coming to our houses and dragging us out!" "I'm not wearing a mask! And just let 'em try to arrest me!"

Not one of those idiots realizes how serious this is, and many people here just thumb their noses at these precautions. They are too stupid to understand that the precautions are here to try to protect their sorry a***s.

I truly am heartbroken for the small business owners and all of the people who have lost jobs. But I have no empathy for these whiners who take to the streets shouting "I have rights!" They don't seem to get it that their refusal to cooperate is exactly why these measures must be mandatory. Or those who hide behind their computers complaining how the government and official agencies have screwed up. They haven't been perfect, but no one has ever had to try to handle a contagion quite like this before.

I am high risk to get this virus, and I am very high likelihood to die of it if I get it. If someone's rights are violated a bit to keep millions of folks like me healthy, so be it.

Off my soapbox...

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
That's ok...they'll just get used to getting back to their usual selves. They might even have a pillow fight behind your back for fun...
I don’t know Cathie.... Cinder spends every minute with me now.. it was bad before, but now I don’t even pee alone! She’s in my lap, in the Sidexside, asleep on my feet, etc.... the big dogs aren’t much better... when I’m outside working or playing, they are not outta sight!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Zero:: that’s why I have become the queen of the reload. Lol Yes, it’s an expensive hobby, but I “let” him do that and he “lets” me have the tortoise and my cars. LMAO Hoping to sneak a turtle in when he’s not looking.

Tom:: Exactly. Thank you. I have found more ppl on here that I “jive” with than IRL.

-Meg
I think you and I could be friends;-) I dont believe that there are many types of guns that we don’t have in our home... I have always been a sportsman as my dads only child... and my hubby really got into the assault type weapons. As we have gotten older, our collection has outgrown our spaces.. the ammo room may require extra floor support!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
My daughter has a very slow growing lymphoma. Found out about it about a year or so ago. She works in an elementary school cafeteria, and they prepare 1000 meals a day, with 2000 on Thursdays because they're off Fridays. Even though school is not in session, they still provide the free meals.

I've asked her a couple times if she wanted a few masks, as I have several that I bought for dust protection. She always says no. But this a.m. I got an email from her saying she has finally realized how serious this covid-19 thing is and she has emailed to her boss that after spring break she won't be going back to work, but rather she'll be sheltering at home.

My female kitten needs to have her spay surgery stitches removed, but I can't do it without an extra set of hands to hold her still. Until my daughter has been home for two weeks with no symptoms, I don't want to ask her (she's been in contact with all those germy school children), and I'm not friendly with my neighbors. There IS an 83 year old neighbor across the street from me, but she lives with her son and his wife, who are still going out into the germy world. I never ever thought I would be in a situation like this. Even way back in the 40s when my mom had polio and our house was quarantined with a big red sign on the door, it wasn't like this.

I had to take Reese’s back for for her last vet check after the big surgery. She was able to get her stitches out too. The laser therapy helped the healing go much faster.. at any rate, they came and got her from the truck and brought her back so we didn’t violate the social distancing law. The vet techs were also fully suited up. Maybe your vet could protect you in that way if you can’t get some help? Wish I was closer!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh man, I am so sorry about your job...but so glad and proud the you are caring for your gramma...what a loving thing you are doing for her....
I've been going out about once every 2 days to get local restaurant food and to walk.
But now I wear gloves and a mask.
This just
I am so convinced that you're correct! The officials in my county have just made it mandatory that masks of some kind be worn when in public. It's OK if just a bandanna is tied over mouth and nose. Not wearing something is punishable by a fine of up to $1000., and/or jail time.

You would think we had to be in body casts from the reactions! "They are getting us ready for martial law!" We're losing all our personal freedoms!" "They will be coming to our houses and dragging us out!" "I'm not wearing a mask! And just let 'em try to arrest me!"

Not one of those idiots realizes how serious this is, and many people here just thumb their noses at these precautions. They are too stupid to understand that the precautions are here to try to protect their sorry a***s.

I truly am heartbroken for the small business owners and all of the people who have lost jobs. But I have no empathy for these whiners who take to the streets shouting "I have rights!" They don't seem to get it that their refusal to cooperate is exactly why these measures must be mandatory. Or those who hide behind their computers complaining how the government and official agencies have screwed up. They haven't been perfect, but no one has ever had to try to handle a contagion quite like this before.

I am high risk to get this virus, and I am very high likelihood to die of it if I get it. If someone's rights are violated a bit to keep millions of folks like me healthy, so be it.

Off my soapbox...
Get back on your soap box...damn that was well said...
Like you, I am at high risk...it is written...I will either die from complications from the virus or chronic kidney failure...so this 'rebel without a cause' wore an N95 face mask for my last supply run. I'm limiting myself to Safeway and Home Depot...if they don't have it, I don't need it...anyhow...I wore the mask...and felt like a freakin idiot...but that and hand sanitizer might just save mine or someone else's life...and toilet paper...

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
This just

Like you, I am at high risk...it is written...I will either die from complications from the virus or chronic kidney failure...so this 'rebel without a cause' wore an N95 face mask for my last supply run. I'm limiting myself to Safeway and Home Depot...if they don't have it, I don't need it...anyhow...I wore the mask...and felt like a freakin idiot...but that and hand sanitizer might just save mine or someone else's life...and toilet paper...

The primary reason for the mask is to protect others, not yourself. The individual who feels they have the right to risk catching this if they want to, does not get it. We are finding more and more out about this virus. It is becoming apparent it is about 3x - 6x more contagious than any influenza virus we've seen. For every confirmed case there are reasonably another 3 or more asymptomatic individuals who have it and do not know it. They are the "typhoid Mary's". No clue you have it, but extremely contagious. By wearing a mask, you dramatically reduce the chance you could possibly spread it to others when out and about.

Kind of like your right to carry a gun. I believe in that whole-heartedly. But I do not believe you have the right to shoot it into a crowd indiscriminately.

Pistachio's Pamperer

Tri-cities, Tennessee
I think you and I could be friends;-)
EllieMay:: I have thought that myself. ;) I just haven't been on much lately because work is crazy right now and my days are 12-16hrs long. I have had problems just reading along let alone being able to string a coherent sentence together.
-Meg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Locally we've been told that only health care workers can have the N95 masks.
I'm half way waiting for the "men in black" to roll up onto my lawn and snatch ours off at gunpoint.
I've been steaming and alcohol spraying the few that we have for re-use

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The primary reason for the mask is to protect others, not yourself. The individual who feels they have the right to risk catching this if they want to, does not get it. We are finding more and more out about this virus. It is becoming apparent it is about 3x - 6x more contagious than any influenza virus we've seen. For every confirmed case there are reasonably another 3 or more asymptomatic individuals who have it and do not know it. They are the "typhoid Mary's". No clue you have it, but extremely contagious. By wearing a mask, you dramatically reduce the chance you could possibly spread it to others when out and about.

Kind of like your right to carry a gun. I believe in that whole-heartedly. But I do not believe you have the right to shoot it into a crowd indiscriminately.
Well said

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
This just

We made a quick run to our Lidl grocery store just around the corner. Pretty much everyone was wearing masks and gloves. I stayed in our car, wifey shopped. I think we got everything we we needed. Our fridge was basically empty, no fruit or fresh vegg or onions or potatoes or greens. First time we’ve been out “shopping” in two weeks. So, good for a few more weeks.

I heard on local radio, possible lock down condition through end of June. .That sounds like a long time.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I don’t know Cathie.... Cinder spends every minute with me now.. it was bad before, but now I don’t even pee alone! She’s in my lap, in the Sidexside, asleep on my feet, etc.... the big dogs aren’t much better... when I’m outside working or playing, they are not outta sight!
Sometimes I have to walk around the house with a bunny literally attached to my leg...but she won't allow me to hold her or sit on my lap. She is usually around my feet though. Is there a term for foot bunny? Like a lap dog? Love sweet love.