Virus supplies worldwide comparison

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
the population of the US is around 330 million 5x that of the UK or Italy , I assure you no country will bail out the US , we won't be airlifting people to neighboring countries , if anything it'll be the other way around …….. the mortality rate here at this point is 1.7% , the mortality rate in the UK appears around 6.3% , Italy 11% , spain 8.5% , france 7% hopefully these numbers are bias towards fatalities , personally i can't see how they are not ……the US first case was , i believe , jan 22 , 9 days before Italy or the uk , it appears to have killed .000021-.000025% of the population in the uk and italy , in the US it appears to have killed .000008% , at this point , our "tangerine chump" seems to be doing 2.5x better than his counterparts in Italy and the UK ??????? to not look ahead and weigh the economic repercussions in a country of 330 million people would take an absent minded idiot , the "tangerine chump's" predicament is unique in the world ……... nursing homes have in the recent past been decimated by the flu ???? you do realize in nursing homes those residents receive flu vaccines ? I still believe something like >5% on average die from the flu every year ……...the nursing home referred to in washington state was a hole , with countless health violation , i don't believe what happened there has happened anywhere else in the US ?????

Regarding your last sentence, take a read what is now a pretty serious case here in Maryland.

Sterling, Va has a rather high falootin, Senior home called Falcons Landing. Cases now coming out of there (not many, yet). https://www.loudountimes.com/news/u...cle_914968b2-7210-11ea-ac8e-2f19e2ff221d.html

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I believe the one in washington state had 30-40 deaths and like 90 staff test positive …….. hopefully the homes you mention do a better job

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not a good time to be in a nursing home or on a cruise ship.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not a good time to be in a nursing home or on a cruise ship.
My wife has a masters in microbiology, AND she's a bit of a germiphobe. She told me many years ago that we are NEVER getting on a cruise ship. Ever.

With what has been happening over the last few years, and now with this C19 scare, I'll bet the cruise ship industry is either finished, or headed for some major downsizing.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There are more than one elder care homes here in Broward county that are in serious trouble with COVID-19.
One alone has 9 deaths and a dozen more infected.
My mothers nursing home all the way in Albany Georgia, a full 550 miles away also now has its first case of COVID-19. And that Hospital has almost 20 cases on machines. And has had several fatalities.
We have a serious issue in this corner of the country.
No common flu has turned our nursing homes into morgues before.

Last edited:

SPILL

Illinois
Today, my brother tells me that he won't be allowed into the delivery room when his wife gives birth in the next 10 days.
All of our local hospitals are busting at the seems.
My wife is the support person for her sister who is expecting in April. After being told no one was allowed in the delivery room they have since walked that back. No visitors anywhere else in the hospital but deliveries are allowed one support person as long as they stay the whole time. It's different everywhere but maybe your brother's hospital will do the same.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
My wife is the support person for her sister who is expecting in April. After being told no one was allowed in the delivery room they have since walked that back. No visitors anywhere else in the hospital but deliveries are allowed one support person as long as they stay the whole time. It's different everywhere but maybe your brother's hospital will do the same.
My brother is very headstrong.
I'll bet he gets in.
Maybe in a full bodysuit, but I'll bet he gets in.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
My wife has a masters in microbiology, AND she's a bit of a germiphobe. She told me many years ago that we are NEVER getting on a cruise ship. Ever.

With what has been happening over the last few years, and now with this C19 scare, I'll bet the cruise ship industry is either finished, or headed for some major downsizing.
Those things have harbored illnesses for forever....And other mysterious deaths.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Your life is significantly different if you happen to live in a "hot spot" like here.
We went from like 900 cases to over 3000 here overnight. I do hear the Rome/Albany area is pretty bad too. I feel for you man. Sorry your having to deal with that worry and I hope your mom stays safe.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
And Missouri as well.

ST. LOUIS — There is no sign of a dip in coronavirus cases in St. Louis or Missouri. The region’s caseload is rocketing upward, with the state seeing a more than 600% increase in total cases over the past week — the largest percentage increase in the country as of Thursday, according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University.

And a lack of widespread testing largely means that experts aren’t sure when the region will reach the peak of its curve — clouding their ability to know when normal life might resume. They hope they will be able to better predict in coming days how much protective measures, like social distancing and widespread restrictions on public activities, are working.

The spread of the virus in Missouri this past week stands out, even compared to neighbors. In Illinois, where the state is under lockdown, the number of confirmed cases grew by 237% in the same period.

“The more we test right now, the more we’ll find,” said Chris Prener, a sociologist at St. Louis University.

Source: https://www.stltoday.com/business/l...cle_3b3ad75f-a5c8-5457-abaa-9adc9e68f168.html

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
As far as I have seen, it just extends self-quarantining to those that enter Texas driving from Louisiana, as well as expanding quarantine to air travelers from more places.
Yes your right. Border patrol is actively enforcing though.. anyone that enters the state must do a 14 day quarantine.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Today, my brother tells me that he won't be allowed into the delivery room when his wife gives birth in the next 10 days.
All of our local hospitals are busting at the seems.

Now that’s just really sad to me... and highly unfair I think. Some moments you just don’t get back!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
We all know that eventually this virus will have done its damage, and will have run its course.

My fear is what life will be like afterward for the survivors. Our societal behavior and how we view others changed dramatically after 9/11, and I believe it will again.

Some of my thoughts...
1. When the virus finally ends, all survivors will probably have lost at least one person close to them, and possibly many more. Add to that the knowledge of how many others died, here in the US, and worldwide. People are going to be in shock at the horrendous statistics, and grieving their own personal losses.

2. Many people will have lost jobs or their small businesses. Giant corporations will have lost many employees, as well as millions of dollars in revenue. Both groups will count on the government to bail them out. More on that later...

3. How paranoid will we be? There will still be areas where the virus will pop up and infect some people. Are we going to be afraid of each other? Is social distancing going to continue? Are people going to hug friends, hold each other to be comforted? Are we going to want to attend football games, concerts, rallies, go to the beach, parades, conventions, and reptile shows?

4. The last I read, the US government's debt was at 23 TRILLION dollars (before COVID-19). Checks for another 2 trillion are being written for economic stimulus. Soon all those big corporations and small business owners are going to lobby and beg for bailout money, which once again, the government will pay, at a cost of ??? trillion.
The USA will be so in debt that no foreign country will make a loan. So they will simply print more money, and print more money, that is not backed by gold.
Then, we won't need to worry about toilet paper any more...we'll just use our paper money instead.

Finally, people will reach the breaking point, and is a revolution in the making?

I realise that this is a pessimistic outlook, but this is what I see ahead. Someone (@Tom?) said a freight train is coming. And it doesn't have brakes!

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
We all know that eventually this virus will have done its damage, and will have run its course.

My fear is what life will be like afterward for the survivors. Our societal behavior and how we view others changed dramatically after 9/11, and I believe it will again.

Some of my thoughts...
1. When the virus finally ends, all survivors will probably have lost at least one person close to them, and possibly many more. Add to that the knowledge of how many others died, here in the US, and worldwide. People are going to be in shock at the horrendous statistics, and grieving their own personal losses.

2. Many people will have lost jobs or their small businesses. Giant corporations will have lost many employees, as well as millions of dollars in revenue. Both groups will count on the government to bail them out. More on that later...

3. How paranoid will we be? There will still be areas where the virus will pop up and infect some people. Are we going to be afraid of each other? Is social distancing going to continue? Are people going to hug friends, hold each other to be comforted? Are we going to want to attend football games, concerts, rallies, go to the beach, parades, conventions, and reptile shows?

4. The last I read, the US government's debt was at 23 TRILLION dollars (before COVID-19). Checks for another 2 trillion are being written for economic stimulus. Soon all those big corporations and small business owners are going to lobby and beg for bailout money, which once again, the government will pay, at a cost of ??? trillion.
The USA will be so in debt that no foreign country will make a loan. So they will simply print more money, and print more money, that is not backed by gold.
Then, we won't need to worry about toilet paper any more...we'll just use our paper money instead.

Finally, people will reach the breaking point, and is a revolution in the making?

I realise that this is a pessimistic outlook, but this is what I see ahead. Someone (@Tom?) said a freight train is coming. And it doesn't have brakes!
All great points Karen. Very rational. Disturbing true.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, that thing about the gov't sending us all a check has me worried too. All of us live and operate under a budget. We generally only spend the amount of money we have to spend. Why does the government think they can just keep doling out $$ here and there when we don't have that $$ to dole out?