Virus supplies worldwide comparison

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Here is something that makes no sense to me. Perhaps someone can help me understand.

I know where the concept of the 6 feet between people comes from. I had a vet in college that taught us as a general rule there needed to be at least 6 feet between animal cages to greatly reduce the chances of spreading most contagious diseases.

What is 6 feet between people going to do when this C19 is supposedly able to survive on airborne micro droplets for 3 hours, and on surfaces for days? It makes no sense.

I know of a lot of people who've been sick this year, all recovered, tested negative for flu, and the symptoms line up perfectly with C19. If this thing spreads this easily, I can't imagine that anyone in this country hasn't already been exposed to it, myself included. Like any sickness, exposure is not a guarantee that you'll become sick and show symptoms. Some people's immune systems simply fight it off.

Something is fishy here. Very fishy. Red herring fishy. Now we have a Universal Basic Income plan being proposed and supported by both sides? Free gift money for everyone adding up to trillions? We're being played. We're so screwed...

In addition to the patterning value mentioned by @ZenHerper :

So far there is no evidence that this is spread airborne. The droplets are miniscule and we even emit droplets in conversations. Much more with a cough or sneeze. Although very small droplets can remain airborne, there is no know example or experiment showing the breathing in of airborn droplets is a viable mechanism for transmission. It is the droplets landing on a surface. You, your hands, your hair, your clothes, etc. You then touch that surface and then touch your face - mouth, eyes, nose That is the known path of transmission. The airborne droplets of concern have been shown to have dropped and landed on some surface within 6 feet max.

That is why wearing a mask out in public is of little value. Extremely close contact, the mask is important. But even then it is the eye protection and even face shield that is best.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I don't now and have never had a filter...so I've been staying off of social media...and here...BORING...

I love the 'thumbs up' likes...I am sure that's because ya'll were glad I'm staying away from here...sorry what I meant translated...I was staying off of social media and here, should have said, and I meant..." it's boring without the social interacting on line" I did not in any way mean any disrespect...

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
A point my sister just brought up to me for a reason America wasn’t hit as hard as other countries because Americans have been raised with personal space standards. We don’t kiss on cheeks when meeting, we don’t stand on top of each other in line, and keep our hands our self.

Also another note, our house just got appraised at $500k 2 weeks ago, and now we just got a note from Mortgage watch that our house is now $800k.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
BORING ? May you tell me or us in which? motorbike club you had been ? I`ve read something about the 1 % bikers ..... I always thought you are an ?. ( no, please don`t beat me..... )

Not all 1% bikers belong to a 'club'...with a core group, it's a lifestyle...Harleys parked in the kitchen...good looking leather clad men sleeping on the floor...runs...motorcycle camping...fighting...those were fun times...Thanks, but the old timers here and in my life will tell you...on a good day...I am bad...the way I lived my life and with my sweet and wonderful personality, I have alienated most of my family members and friends. I am more well behaved now, but I had a lot of fun, went places and did things that Joe Average would never get to do...I regret some of what I have done...but on the flip side I am a member of the too much fun club...LOL

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Wanted to give yall some info I just got. My sisters boyfriend (whom basically lives here) his mother went to NC the last week of February to visit family and attend a wedding in FL. There were a few sick people at the wedding and his mother began feeling body aches and fever a few days after returning from FL to NC. She self quarantined (all the kids in the house had to be relocated). She was able to get tested and 7 days later (today) she got her test back positive for Coronavirus 19. She never had any lung problems or cough just fever and aches. Today she said is the first day she’s feeling normal again. She’s in her late 50s and has some heart problems.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wanted to give yall some info I just got. My sisters boyfriend (whom basically lives here) his mother went to NC the last week of February to visit family and attend a wedding in FL. There were a few sick people at the wedding and his mother began feeling body aches and fever a few days after returning from FL to NC. She self quarantined (all the kids in the house had to be relocated). She was able to get tested and 7 days later (today) she got her test back positive for Coronavirus 19. She never had any lung problems or cough just fever and aches. Today she said is the first day she’s feeling normal again. She’s in her late 50s and has some heart problems.
I would say she's mighty lucky!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Here is something that makes no sense to me. Perhaps someone can help me understand.

I know where the concept of the 6 feet between people comes from. I had a vet in college that taught us as a general rule there needed to be at least 6 feet between animal cages to greatly reduce the chances of spreading most contagious diseases.

What is 6 feet between people going to do when this C19 is supposedly able to survive on airborne micro droplets for 3 hours, and on surfaces for days? It makes no sense.

I know of a lot of people who've been sick this year, all recovered, tested negative for flu, and the symptoms line up perfectly with C19. If this thing spreads this easily, I can't imagine that anyone in this country hasn't already been exposed to it, myself included. Like any sickness, exposure is not a guarantee that you'll become sick and show symptoms. Some people's immune systems simply fight it off.

Something is fishy here. Very fishy. Red herring fishy. Now we have a Universal Basic Income plan being proposed and supported by both sides? Free gift money for everyone adding up to trillions? We're being played. We're so screwed...
My way of saying that is "I smell a rat"! None of what they're saying makes actual sense. If the virus can live on cardboard for 24 hours why can't it be on your mail when deposited in your mailbox. My nephew was sick and is a postman. He was told to come to work anyway. They are talking from both sides of their mouth.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not fishy at all.

It's just a layer of pro-social behavior modification that keeps us all present to the Awareness that we are in a risky situation.

If you set your brain to keep a 6-foot distance, you won't instinctively hug or shake hands or kiss a friend. You can't reach! Your brain remains mindful of the fact that surfaces are an issue; you make a continuous mental note to wash your hands properly at the next available sink.

18% of known-infected people require hospitalization. I don't want to be hospitalized. I don't want to be tubed and put on a ventilator. I don't want to wake up and have them hand me the bill. I don't want to wake up and find that My Person has died. Alone. And that my pets have been confiscated by animal control and re-homed.

I don't want to be the cause of that happening to other people in my community, or across the country.

The way we manage influenza viruses in the U.S. is crap. That is not a good excuse for mismanaging this situation.

The smart choice is to do whatever we can think of to protect ourselves. The pro-social choice is to do whatever we can think of to protect others.
So you are saying we should just go ahead and bereave the media and the government, and shutting down the entire world, as well as our own economy, because of a virus with stats that change by the minute should raise no mental red flags?

Nope. Not buying it. They are up to something. They are always up to something.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
So you are saying we should just go ahead and bereave the media and the government, and shutting down the entire world, as well as our own economy, because of a virus with stats that change by the minute should raise no mental red flags?

Nope. Not buying it. They are up to something. They are always up to something.
I'm pretty sure we've bereaved the media and government already.

Look, you have to vet your sources. I can't say what's making you so paranoid, but you have to compare that rhetoric to proper scientific and statistical sources. Precious few people in this thread provide citations for what they reference/claim. A lot of what is being thrown about is baseless. The internet is an environment ripe with misinformation. Feed your brain ideas from healthful sources, or develop, like, mental MBD.

Human DNA is programmed for each individual to gather what is Best for them. But we are part of a highly social species. The second question is, "What is the Best I can give to others?"

It is easy to identify anti-social people. They do and say anti-social things.

52% of the total deaths in NJ had NO underlying medical conditions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't say what's making you so paranoid...
Why so quick to assume its paranoia? How do you know there isn't more going on here than we are being led to believe?

At this point the stats, projections and models have changed so many times, there is no reliable or credible source of info. And this is not even counting the intentional lies and misdirection.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm really glad to read a positive outcome for someone. ?I've also read that some people have no symptoms at all and test positive anyway. Until they do more actual testing though how can they even do the simple math it takes to see what has actually taken place. If questioning real logic, true dates of when this started, and the simple math is stupid... then call me a silly?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
A point my sister just brought up to me for a reason America wasn’t hit as hard as other countries because Americans have been raised with personal space standards. We don’t kiss on cheeks when meeting, we don’t stand on top of each other in line, and keep our hands our self.

Also another note, our house just got appraised at $500k 2 weeks ago, and now we just got a note from Mortgage watch that our house is now $800k.
Yea well they also pack in elevators like sardines also...hehehe

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Why so quick to assume its paranoia? How do you know there isn't more going on here than we are being led to believe?

At this point the stats, projections and models have changed so many times, there is no reliable or credible source of info. And this is not even counting the intentional lies and misdirection.

Science is not a venue for belief. Belief is about absolutes, certainties, no questions, just trust.

Science is information, data. Compiled over time. The more information you gather, the better and more specific interpretations can be made. There are bumps, twists, turns, curve balls. Science is uncertainty -- the universe we live in contains masses of uncertainty.

When we identify a DNA profile of the coronavirus family, we have a starting point for addressing the problem (before that we had data about people getting sick to the point of critical hospitalization, and deaths).

Facts build on facts until a greater picture emerges of how the micro-critter moves and adapts to the population it lives on (replicates inside).

There isn't any magical certainty. We posit and try one route, or another in order to defeat infection and get ahead. Some ideas are tried-and-true, some are new.

You haven't seen me talk up vaccination. Vaccination works very with some diseases. Smallpox, measles, mumps, etc.. Those diseases are returning to populations who eschew vaccines, out of hand. Coronaviruses and influenza viruses are better at mutating. There are many versions, and they circulate in often unpredictable patterns. If vaccines can be made, they are effective, with caveats. Don't want a vaccine? Take a chance that increases with increasing risk of complications. Has someone developed health conditions that get worse with flu infection? Great - here's a vaccine that may help!

Wholesale vaccination MIGHT work with a novel virus, but the time interval needed to get one into adequate product is prohibitive. In short, it may change before a safe vaccine can be sent all over the world simultaneously. It would be lovely to just kill this type of thing within a week, but that's just not how the thing works.

This is a situation where information comes in daily. Scientists follow those changes and alter their interpretations. New courses of action are proposed...then there is an interval of time before accuracy is detected.

Science is plodding and intentional. It is the method by which we figured out how tortoises got to be what they are, and how we course correct a merchandising culture that trades on mass-producing them badly.

If one doesn't know how to follow and interpret the data, then one must find those who can.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

I feel that it's odd too.
But I'm not ready yet to try that KOOLAID.
Let's see how this plays out a bit longer.
But, then again..I'M the member with a ghost stories thread.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
So my grocery store advised they would be open from 6a to 9a for senior citizens to shop. I normally shop on Thursday, so this fit right into my plan. I set the alarm (something I haven't had to do for many, many years) and subsequently woke up every hour on the hour so I would be certain to be awake before the alarm jangled my nerves. I finally woke up and got up at 5a. Got ready and took care of my morning ablutions and left the house at a quarter to 6. The good old boy network was waiting at the door when I got there - all old men, no women. I waited in my car until they unlocked the door, then went in and did my shopping. I may as well have waited and taken care of it at a decent hour. . . there was no T-paper, no paper towels, no bread. Next Thursday I'll just wait and shop at my normal time.
Geez
All that and STILL no paper.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Science is not a venue for belief. Belief is about absolutes, certainties, no questions, just trust.

Science is information, data. Compiled over time. The more information you gather, the better and more specific interpretations can be made. There are bumps, twists, turns, curve balls. Science is uncertainty -- the universe we live in contains masses of uncertainty.
No disagreement with anything in your post. I'm well aware of how science works. We aren't talking about science here though. We are talking about media and government misrepresentations. We are talking about controlling populations with fear. We are talking about whipping the general public into a fear frenzy by reporting falsehoods, and grossly exaggerating possibilities, based on a lack of facts and accurate science.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
No disagreement with anything in your post. I'm well aware of how science works. We aren't talking about science here though. We are talking about media and government misrepresentations. We are talking about controlling populations with fear. We are talking about whipping the general public into a fear frenzy by reporting falsehoods, and grossly exaggerating possibilities, based on a lack of facts and accurate science.

^ This is called Moving The Goalposts. You brought up Belief. I made a distinction between belief and science. I explained why they are different.

You have not cited any specific examples of misrepresentation (though there are many -- vet your sources). You have not cited any instance of people being fooled by those misrepresentations (though many are -- vet your sources). You have not cited any instance(s) of a public frenzy (I've been across 2 counties since NJ's governor declared our emergency status. People are mostly respectfully observant and calm).

I dispute your premise. You have yet to support it.

Last edited: