Virus supplies worldwide comparison

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
REAL ONES like yours?
Or the crap ones GM is selling now?
Real ones. Actually, my transmission... with 58 thousand miles on it needs to be rebuilt, the warranty ends one f'ing month before this rebuild thing. I can't manually downshift. And when you drive a car with a 30 year old braking system, ya want to be able to use the tranny to help slow down. So my guy sent me to a tranny shop and he says there's a switch inside the transmission that makes it downshift, mine broke and they say the tranny needs to be rebuilt, $3000. Seriously? It might not be necessary to a lot of people, but I take a lot of road trips, fast highway driving, so the brakes need help stopping. I have to slow from what ever speed I'm doing on a 2 lane hiway, and I have to slow to turn right, over bumpy rr tracks to get home. It's gotten scary a few times trying to slow down enuf and still not have Joe Redneck's truck rear end me.
So my question to you would be "does this make sense to you? Only 58 thousand miles on it?"

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Real ones. Actually, my transmission... with 58 thousand miles on it needs to be rebuilt, the warranty ends one f'ing month before this rebuild thing. I can't manually downshift. And when you drive a car with a 30 year old braking system, ya want to be able to use the tranny to help slow down. So my guy sent me to a tranny shop and he says there's a switch inside the transmission that makes it downshift, mine broke and they say the tranny needs to be rebuilt, $3000. Seriously? It might not be necessary to a lot of people, but I take a lot of road trips, fast highway driving, so the brakes need help stopping. I have to slow from what ever speed I'm doing on a 2 lane hiway, and I have to slow to turn right, over bumpy rr tracks to get home. It's gotten scary a few times trying to slow down enuf and still not have Joe Redneck's truck rear end me.
So my question to you would be "does this make sense to you? Only 58 thousand miles on it?"
The clutch packs in each automatic transmission wear out differently according to how they are used. The valve bodies are usually good for a lot longer. Especially with good, clean fluid.
These days, its VERY common for a transmission to fail at 50,000 miles (Nissan for example) Anything with a JATCO transmission.
Do you have an old "Turbo" TH 350 trans. or a later electronic shift deal?
If you have an old TH 350 you could probably have a shop install a manual valve body, or do a rebuild much cheaper.
Or shop around because that seems very expensive.
I'm actually not certified in automatic transmission.
I would guess you have a 700R4 tranny.
Maybe a rebuilt older TH350 could be an inexpensive option?
And I wouldn't even try to repair a later model transmission.

One thing to check is the shifter linkage itself.
Can you shift into second while regular driving?

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One has to take into account your radical, race car way of driving, so, yes, it makes sense. Normal drivers take their foot off the gas way before the turn so compression starts slowing the car and down shifting isn't necessary.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
One has to take into account your radical, race car way of driving, so, yes, it makes sense. Normal drivers take their foot off the gas way before the turn so compression starts slowing the car and down shifting isn't necessary.
That's why maybe a manual valve body would be a good thing for her.
It makes an automatic transmission shift manually. And hits second gear hard enough to spin the tires.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Now the virus is getting personal.
A co workers 14 year old daughter has COVID-19.
One more person in the building my wife works in has it.
Right now. 11:36 PM An ambulance is driving away with my neighbor who can not breathe.
She and her husband have it.
She does NOT look good right now.
I hope you can understand that I didn't want to take a photo outside of her and her family...

Attachments

• 15941795419263602967030429584251.jpg
    15941795419263602967030429584251.jpg
    869 KB · Views: 7

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Now the virus is getting personal.
A co workers 14 year old daughter has COVID-19.
One more person in the building my wife works in has it.
Right now. 11:36 PM An ambulance is driving away with my neighbor who can not breathe.
She and her husband have it.
She does NOT look good right now.
I hope you can understand that I didn't want to take a photo outside of her and her family...
You're correct...that is getting personal! Please...stay inside and don't get sick!

Not taking a picture outside shows common sense, compassion, and empathy for other people. The world needs more folks like you, Ed.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Maggie don't listen to her. Accelerating in a turn is one of the very few true joys in my life!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Actually, I don't listen. My family has been insulting my driving since I bought that car. I do drive fast, I do burn-outs, I do drag race. But I believe most people judge my driving skills, by their less than average driving skills. I am an above average driver. I have taken 2 offensive driving courses at the Bob Bondurant School of Offensive driving, I took a drifting course, and got a CDL. I love to drive. To me driving is like a chess game. How many of you can slide your car, and pull out of that slide? How many of you have had your car over 100 mph? Over 120? My car is not just a performance car, it's a get down hot rod. I have hand crank windows, NO cup holder, no power seats, no power doors, what I DO have is, a 5 year old LT1 engine, a 5 year old turbo 350 transmission, complete front end and steering stuff is 2 years old. It is very fast. I have taken such good care of it, it's clean, fast and pretty. And IF my driving was as dangerous as my family thinks it is, I would probably have had a wreck in the 30 years I've been hot rodding around the country in this car. But I haven't had or caused a wreck with my driving. I like to drive and I like to and have been taught how to drive fast. So don't judge MY driving by your bad skill set.
I confess to, tailgating, honking, yelling out the window, speeding, drag racing in town.

Maggie don't listen to her. Accelerating in a turn is one of the very few true joys in my life!
Y calls my driving "radical", but she drives a top of the line Dodge truck, and she does not drive over 45, she can't park it, won't take it on the hiway. lol love ya sis!
100_4202.JPG

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yep, it IS getting worse. More and more infections translates into more deaths. Old, young, pre-existing conditions or no. Hospitals are filling up in Florida. A few months ago, we basically had NYC as the epicenter...now we have multiple areas all getting worse. Oh, and lets open schools early! Hold on, this ride ain’t over. (Sadly)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, I don't listen. My family has been insulting my driving since I bought that car. I do drive fast, I do burn-outs, I do drag race. But I believe most people judge my driving skills, by their less than average driving skills. I am an above average driver. I have taken 2 offensive driving courses at the Bob Bondurant School of Offensive driving, I took a drifting course, and got a CDL. I love to drive. To me driving is like a chess game. How many of you can slide your car, and pull out of that slide? How many of you have had your car over 100 mph? Over 120? My car is not just a performance car, it's a get down hot rod. I have hand crank windows, NO cup holder, no power seats, no power doors, what I DO have is, a 5 year old LT1 engine, a 5 year old turbo 350 transmission, complete front end and steering stuff is 2 years old. It is very fast. I have taken such good care of it, it's clean, fast and pretty. And IF my driving was as dangerous as my family thinks it is, I would probably have had a wreck in the 30 years I've been hot rodding around the country in this car. But I haven't had or caused a wreck with my driving. I like to drive and I like to and have been taught how to drive fast. So don't judge MY driving by your bad skill set.
I confess to, tailgating, honking, yelling out the window, speeding, drag racing in town.

Y calls my driving "radical", but she drives a top of the line Dodge truck, and she does not drive over 45, she can't park it, won't take it on the hiway. lol love ya sis!
View attachment 299442
Don't include me in that 'my family' comment. I have never said anything about your car or your driving. The only reason I made the above comment was because YOU asked if it was reasonable for that part to wear out so soon. And because of the way you drive, yes, it is reasonable. So take back the exaggeration about MY driving.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The clutch packs in each automatic transmission wear out differently according to how they are used. The valve bodies are usually good for a lot longer. Especially with good, clean fluid.
These days, its VERY common for a transmission to fail at 50,000 miles (Nissan for example) Anything with a JATCO transmission.
Do you have an old "Turbo" TH 350 trans. or a later electronic shift deal?
If you have an old TH 350 you could probably have a shop install a manual valve body, or do a rebuild much cheaper.
Or shop around because that seems very expensive.
I'm actually not certified in automatic transmission.
I would guess you have a 700R4 tranny.
Maybe a rebuilt older TH350 could be an inexpensive option?
And I wouldn't even try to repair a later model transmission.

One thing to check is the shifter linkage itself.
Can you shift into second while regular driving?
Don't include me in that 'my family' comment. I have never said anything about your car or your driving. The only reason I made the above comment was because YOU asked if it was reasonable for that part to wear out so soon. And because of the way you drive, yes, it is reasonable. So take back the exaggeration about MY driving.
Oh come on! I have been teasing you about your driving ever since you got the silver truck. But, ok, I take back the part about your parking

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thought about it all night, kept me awake. So...I am sorry that anyone would confuse something that I intended to be funny that wasn't funny, and new comers who don't understand our relationship 'could' think we really were arguing. I am sorry, Yvonne, seriously, you never do harass me about my car/driving. I really am apologizing and won't tease you about driving in the future. I am sorry

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thought about it all night, kept me awake. So...I am sorry that anyone would confuse something that I intended to be funny that wasn't funny, and new comers who don't understand our relationship 'could' think we really were arguing. I am sorry, Yvonne, seriously, you never do harass me about my car/driving. I really am apologizing and won't tease you about driving in the future. I am sorry

Ogh, go ahead, keep teasing! It keeps us all entertained & we all know you are just messing about! Crank it up! All in fun.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
You're correct...that is getting personal! Please...stay inside and don't get sick!

Not taking a picture outside shows common sense, compassion, and empathy for other people. The world needs more folks like you, Ed.
Agreed more Eds.
But we as Americans need to stop making a virus personal. Horrible and good things happen to our families and friends all the time. Making it personal turns people against eachother for no actual reason, its an emotion. No person, group, country, or face covering (aka fabric or paper) can stop the spread of these viruses we come into contact with and HAVE been coming into contact with since we became “civilized”.
There’s no preventative care included in western medicine which goes hand in hand with our western diet. When everything was shut down, fast food joints were all open. Who the F deemed them essential ? Essential for keeping your immune system in shambles? Our only ACTUAL protection against viruses!?

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Here in nevada the national guard is doing testing, their orders are only to December. And I learned that each covid test they do and the results are inconclusive, it is recorded as a positive. That from the mouth of a national guardsmen. So technically multiple positives are being recorded for the same person.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Ogh, go ahead, keep teasing! It keeps us all entertained & we all know you are just messing about! Crank it up! All in fun.
Maybe you haven't noticed my sister generally does not have a sense of humor when it comes to me and my antics. So believe you me, I have learned when to stop. And now is that time.
American Goldfinches have arrived in Corvallis, they are chasing each other around and crowding my feeders. And having babies I'm pretty sure this guy is an adolescent he's been sitting there looking in my bedroom window all
morning.
100_4362.JPG
100_4359.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Didn't I read something from you several posts ago that you don't feel guilt??

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Putin just announced that Russia has a vaccine. That it's already in use and works perfectly.
They named it SPUTNIK as a rub to us when Russia beat the USA into space.
(Talk about holding a grudge)
It would sure be a great PR stunt for Russia to share this vaccine with the world...
If it indeed exists.