Virus supplies worldwide comparison

ZenHerper

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Louisiana runs headlong into the pandemic: nfection rates skyrocketed since Mardi Gras. Nearly half of hospitalized patients there are on ventilators.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
how I understand it , with some viral disease , not necessarily this one , how much you initially get infected with has a lot to do with how sick your going to get ……. by being further away the amount of virus you get exposed to will be lower ….. there probably is a good chance people who have mild cases and have built an immunity to it were infected with very small amounts and not often ……. as far as being able to detect it on surfaces , and it being able to cause an infection , how long it can be detected might not be the same as to how long it can infect a person …….

nejmc2004973-f1.jpg

ZenHerper

New Jersey
how I understand it , with some viral disease , not necessarily this one , how much you initially get infected with has a lot to do with how sick your going to get ……. by being further away the amount of virus you get exposed to will be lower ….. there probably is a good chance people who have mild cases and have built an immunity to it were infected with very small amounts and not often ……. as far as being able to detect it on surfaces , and it being able to cause an infection , how long it can be detected might not be the same as to how long it can infect a person …….

nejmc2004973-f1.jpg

Which is just simple math. If I throw one dart at you, you might dodge it or get grazed.

If I and 10 friends throw a dart at you, you will likely get stuck several times.

If I, 10 of my friends, and 10 each of their friends all throw a dart at you, you will need a medic.

Your immune system's ability to manage one or a few virus particles is not too bad. Your body's ability to cope decreases with increased infection load, your baseline health status, other environmental factors, diet, etc.. So, yeah, do everything you can to avoid direct coughs & sneezes from strangers.

I do find it notable that CoV-2 (Covid-19) survives far longer on cardboard than the original SARS version...

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
So how is the government going to justify city closures and then reopen all closed business that have major viral & bacterial infection risks on a daily? Like high volume restaurants and bars? Movie theaters? Spas? Spas is a big one... much is not checked as it is and that is very very disturbing..... Many of the high volume gatherings in our society involve alcohol, and a lot of it: LAS VEGAS (HA), concerts, sporting events, festivals, clubs, bars.... Intoxicated humans forget all sorts of things... NO way to remind drunk (or worse) people to keep distance, use tissues, wash hands, not throw up in public, not kiss 6 people, not share joints.... What are going to be the changes ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
^ This is called Moving The Goalposts. You brought up Belief. I made a distinction between belief and science. I explained why they are different.

You have not cited any specific examples of misrepresentation (though there are many -- vet your sources). You have not cited any instance of people being fooled by those misrepresentations (though many are -- vet your sources). You have not cited any instance(s) of a public frenzy (I've been across 2 counties since NJ's governor declared our emergency status. People are mostly respectfully observant and calm).

I dispute your premise. You have yet to support it.
I've moved no goalposts. I made no distinction of belief or science that is any different than your beliefs. I can spend hours searching the web to find citations to support any claim I want. It's meaningless. Either of us would be citing stuff we've read on the internet. Stuff written by a person with an agenda. The "facts" about all of this, as told to us, change by the minute.

You call me paranoid. I say you don't want to see what is, and has been, happening around you.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Broward county Florida ordered every citizen to stay home as of this evening.
That means everyone.

Corvallis is like that as well...Today I get to go to Home Depot, grocery store, pharmacy, and the 'wild life rescue'...I didn't mind staying home with all my animals, and yard work, housework...but as soon as it became mandatory...I balked...sometimes I wonder...what the heck is wrong with me...lol

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I've moved no goalposts. I made no distinction of belief or science that is any different than your beliefs. I can spend hours searching the web to find citations to support any claim I want. It's meaningless. Either of us would be citing stuff we've read on the internet. Stuff written by a person with an agenda. The "facts" about all of this, as told to us, change by the minute.

You call me paranoid. I say you don't want to see what is, and has been, happening around you.
There is a huge difference between paranoid and prepared! Sadly I have very little faith in humanity on the regular let alone when their ease of lifestyle accommodations is delayed or stopped!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There is a huge difference between paranoid and prepared! Sadly I have very little faith in humanity on the regular let alone when their ease of lifestyle accommodations is delayed or stopped!
Living in HURRICANE ALLEY, I've got to say that sometimes paranoid and prepared are the same.
But being paranoid is not always helpful. I myself have bouts of paranoia. And it's not fun.

A friend of mine packed up his dog and survival supplies and food and ammo and went to live in the EVERGLADES for the 2012 Mayan apocalypse.
Looks absolutely paranoid.
But acting on a gut feeling can also save your life.
Reacting to everything or not reacting to anything are just different peoples mindset.
We don't all think alike.
This isn't about coiled light bulbs.
We'll soon know more about this thing than we do now.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
They were doing a story about the NYPD and how many are off sick and the precautions they were taking not to get infected. Some were wearing gloves and some were also wearing mask. I have heard that it can also enter through the eyes. Couldn't people use those goggles that I see all the Olympic swimmers wear during competition to help protect their eyes? I have never worn them so don't know how uncomfortable they are to wear for an extended time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Corvallis is like that as well...Today I get to go to Home Depot, grocery store, pharmacy, and the 'wild life rescue'...I didn't mind staying home with all my animals, and yard work, housework...but as soon as it became mandatory...I balked...sometimes I wonder...what the heck is wrong with me...lol
Funny thing about "mandatory" . . . When I went shopping yesterday the cashier said, "Since you brought your own bags, you'll have to bag your own groceries." Now I've been known to pitch in and bag my groceries when the cashier is alone, but there was just something off putting about being told I HAVE to do it.

On another note, I received an order from Amazon and it concerned me as if it contained a bomb. I didn't let it touch my clothes as I carried it into the house, I opened it and quickly tossed the germy box out into the sun. I wiped down the contents (packs of turmeric and cinnamon to make Golden something or other to help relieve Misty's pain) with antiseptic wipes, and I 'm sitting here in my recliner feeling like germs are crawling all over me.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
You exercise your muscles why not your immune system? 5 second rule on hard shelled candies(M&M’s) in an ER Drive! I may have done a few wild things in my years!
i am a firm believer in natural immunities ........Use to never vaccinate our dogs , then we got to a point where we gave them every vaccine known to man , 5way , 6 way , 9 way ...... then we ended up at a point where we minimally vaccinate them ……… I’d always vaccinate the puppies….. when mono-valent vaccines were more easily available i used them 2 weeks apart , I’d give them distemper measles at 6weeks and parvo at 8 weeks , I’d not vaccinate them again until after 12 weeks with parvo and distemper , I’d never give them another vaccination for the rest of their lives aside from rabies as adults ……… I never vaccinate the adult dogs , I believe the pups shedding virus from their vaccinations must have immunized the adults , or their immunities from their puppy shots were lifetime……. I had one litter one time get coronavirus , none of the adults were noticeably affected by it …….. I’ve had one dog with an allergy in my life , was a pup that got vaccinated like every 2 weeks , or whatever they used to recommend , with 5 way,6way , 9way vaccines like 4-5 times ……….. I’ve never had a dog get hepatitis , adeno or parvo , and that not a couple dogs , or isolated dogs , it's like 60 in my lifetime with free run to the outside 24/7/365 ……..

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Me too. Any other time I'd be mad at me for finding excuses to Stay Home.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Funny thing about "mandatory" . . . When I went shopping yesterday the cashier said, "Since you brought your own bags, you'll have to bag your own groceries." Now I've been known to pitch in and bag my groceries when the cashier is alone, but there was just something off putting about being told I HAVE to do it.

On another note, I received an order from Amazon and it concerned me as if it contained a bomb. I didn't let it touch my clothes as I carried it into the house, I opened it and quickly tossed the germy box out into the sun. I wiped down the contents (packs of turmeric and cinnamon to make Golden something or other to help relieve Misty's pain) with antiseptic wipes, and I 'm sitting here in my recliner feeling like germs are crawling all over me.
? i guess we're a bit germy.?