Virus supplies worldwide comparison

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Zero pilot: You have fir trees in your yard? Remember they can get that mold/illness stuff. My father in law was having the same issues. Allergies? Late in life? Nah!! Then the doctor said yep. And his retired cranky butt was out working in the yard and had problems all the time. So congested in his sinuses that he was a bear. Someone mentioned it to him. So he went and cut down the little “Christmas” tree and tossed it. Cleared him right up. Either the fir itself/sap/decaying cones/mold were the problem.

Mother in law was kinda ticked because she put lights and ornaments on it. But no problems since.
-Meg
? also logical. Even to me. Some firs bother me to no end.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Zero pilot: You have fir trees in your yard? Remember they can get that mold/illness stuff. My father in law was having the same issues. Allergies? Late in life? Nah!! Then the doctor said yep. And his retired cranky butt was out working in the yard and had problems all the time. So congested in his sinuses that he was a bear. Someone mentioned it to him. So he went and cut down the little “Christmas” tree and tossed it. Cleared him right up. Either the fir itself/sap/decaying cones/mold were the problem.

Mother in law was kinda ticked because she put lights and ornaments on it. But no problems since.
-Meg
I has several trees. Mostly palm trees. Several hurricanes removed them for me.
The only tree left is a purple trumpet tree.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Now that I think about it, I also became mildly allergic to shellfish/seafood at some point. But mostly just makes me flush and my throat itch so I still eat it.

I'm allergic to of all things corn. My doctor said I keep forgetting you are on a weird diet. I said it's not really weird. I just have to cook and eat real food. He just looked at me. Why in the world does everything easy to fix have to be corny?

I imagine the turn back to "real" sugar thats happened int he last few years has made it slightly easier without HFCS in everything.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
update on Nevada: governor closed all non-essential business. I hope he doesn’t sleep at night. ?? This is all treason.

You have seen the projections? You do realize no one would be taking such drastic actions if they didn't think it was necessary. If appropriate actions had been taken in January, less severe measures would have been an option.

Its easier to contain a fire if you act when you smell smoke, instead of waiting to see the flames.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
You have seen the projections? You do realize no one would be taking such drastic actions if they didn't think it was necessary. If appropriate actions had been taken in January, less severe measures would have been an option.

Its easier to contain a fire if you act when you smell smoke, instead of waiting to see the flames.
Close all business, spread fear and disunity through social distancing because of projections? 30 days of closure will help?What are the projections for the lives and well being for the millions of non affected (and recovered) Americans? The world is playing telephone and I think we are winning. Fire cannot be compared to the Corona #19 virus.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
... 30 days of closure will help?...

It's simple high school geometry. Area Under A Curve.

The same number of people will become infected either way (distancing, or not).

BUT our resources will not be able to manage a gigantic number of people becoming infected THIS WEEK. If we can spread out the number of infections OVER MORE TIME, hospitals may be less overwhelmed and fewer people may die because they can be attended to in a less manic fashion. Doctors won't have to choose who gets help and who gets wheeled into a hallway to suffocate and die unattended.

What is happening in Italy WILL happen here. We can do it the 'meh' way, or we can pump the brakes on the transmission rate and give our medical facilities a better chance at saving lives. Since we know better, there is no rational reason to not do better.

A governor of a state using his legal authority to declare a legal emergency is not treason. This is why we have governors. A state of emergency is a necessary inconvenience of varying degree, but it is a governor's legal purvue.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Have you been following at all what has been going on in Italy for example??

The real life Sophie's choice has come to fruition. Drs have to decide who lives and who dies. All the hospital beds are full and they have been using anything they can get their hands on. No more critical care space. No more ventilators. 100s of new critical patients coming in per day, and they have to decide which few of those, they can even treat and leave others to die. 627 died just yesterday from this. Decisions are being made based mostly on expected life expectancy of the patient.

It will get at least that bad here or worse if we don't do something to mitigate the spread of this virus. We cannot stop it, but by extreme measures to try to limit as much social contact as possible, there is a good chance we can give the medical system needed time to get better equipped to handle it. If we would have continued to do nothing and simply business as usual, all the real science I have read (not the political rhetoric) points to our medical system being totally overwhelmed by mid April. The difference with this "shelter in place" strategy and closing non-essential business is huge! To do everything we can to limit the number of critical cases to a number our system can handle is imperative.

As an example - do you know we have about 170,000 ventilators in the entire US? One of the most primary life saving devices for someone critical with a SARS type virus. Unchecked, the number of critical cases by mid June would likely climb to over 1 million. Who wants to choose who gets a ventilator and who is left without to die?

Yes, the virulent other flu strains have killed 100,000 people in a year. But that is with the general population and our leaders simply not caring that "some" would die. No preventative measures except flu vaccines. No quarantines, poor social and cleanliness habits by us all. But those flues have a fatality rate of about 0.1%. We are seeing COVID-19 with 6% fatality rates in areas with overwhelmed medical systems. No vaccine. No general population resistance or immunity.

Brenda has to go to work - she set up 4 COVID-19 testing locations here so far - 2 drive through and 2 ER extensions. Hospitals are scrambling to try to get ready for the potential crush. IT is indeed real!

It is tempting to feel better by blaming a conspiracy theory, or political agenda. But can you imagine the extreme amount of convincing it would take to get these "political career ending" measures enacted?

Although I don't like the terrible effect it will have on business, my retirement stocks, having to shelter in place, I do agree it is necessary. I don't want to see the doctors here having to decide who lives and who dies simply because we don't have the capacity to handle the number of cases because we treat this just like the "flu".

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
It's simple high school geometry. Area Under A Curve.

The same number of people will become infected either way (distancing, or not).

BUT our resources will not be able to manage a gigantic number of people becoming infected THIS WEEK. If we can spread out the number of infections OVER MORE TIME, hospitals may be less overwhelmed and fewer people may die because they can be attended to in a less manic fashion. Doctors won't have to choose who gets help and who gets wheeled into a hallway to suffocate and die unattended.

What is happening in Italy WILL happen here. We can do it the 'meh' way, or we can pump the brakes on the transmission rate and give our medical facilities a better chance at saving lives. Since we know better, there is no rational reason to not do better.

A governor of a state using his legal authority to declare a legal emergency is not treason. This is why we have governors. A state of emergency is a necessary inconvenience of varying degree, but it is a governor's legal purvue.

I was busy typing while you were posting. I appreciate your voice of reason.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's pretty scary. I have been "sheltering in place" for quite a while now, years even, to save $$ on gas. I make only one trip into town a week, and I do my banking, go to the post office, and shop for a week. If I forgot to buy something, I do without until the next week's trip. And I stopped eating out quite a while ago too (and I REALLY love fast food). So all this stuff is no hardship for me, but I really worry about getting sick.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I was busy typing while you were posting. I appreciate your voice of reason.

I can fully appreciate people who live in states where emergencies are not a regular thing.

In NJ we have the odd snow or hurricane emergency and the governor on duty shuts the state down. Critical/necessary travel only. Lots of businesses take the day off.

Stuff gets cleaned up, life goes on.

The operative word being LIFE.

This is gonna be tough. We gotta pull up our shorts and get to the other side.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's pretty scary. I have been "sheltering in place" for quite a while now, years even, to save $$ on gas. I make only one trip into town a week, and I do my banking, go to the post office, and shop for a week. If I forgot to buy something, I do without until the next week's trip. And I stopped eating out quite a while ago too (and I REALLY love fast food). So all this stuff is no hardship for me, but I really worry about getting sick.
It sounds like you'd be relatively safe by the way you've designed your whole life.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
In NJ we have the odd snow or hurricane emergency and the governor on duty shuts the state down. Critical/necessary travel only. Lots of businesses take the day off.

Stuff gets cleaned up, life goes on.

The operative word being LIFE.

This is gonna be tough. We gotta pull up our shorts and get to the other side.
THAT is an emergency. Emergency services kick in and they know what they are doing. That cannot be compared to a world spread virus that cannot be detected unless your able to get a test.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm allergic to of all things corn. My doctor said I keep forgetting you are on a weird diet. I said it's not really weird. I just have to cook and eat real food. He just looked at me. Why in the world does everything easy to fix have to be corny?

That's really funny...I have an intestinal disease so I am on a kinda of a strange diet...not of my choosing...and I was a lousy eater before I got this thing...2 of the things on that menu that I can eat include rice, corn and potatoes...I am the 2nd world's worst cook...my mother being the top terrible cook in the world...anyhow I make Jasmine brown rice...and when it's cooked I add a can of corn and buncha butter I love it for some reason...add corn to tuna noodle casserole...in a meatloaf, a can...in homemade mac n cheese...oh damn...gonna go cook...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

The real life Sophie's choice has come to fruition. Drs have to decide who lives and who dies. All the hospital beds are full and they have been using anything they can get their hands on. No more critical care space. No more ventilators. 100s of new critical patients coming in per day, and they have to decide which few of those, they can even treat and leave others to die. 627 died just yesterday from this. Decisions are being made based mostly on expected life expectancy of the patient.

It will get at least that bad here or worse if we don't do something to mitigate the spread of this virus. We cannot stop it, but by extreme measures to try to limit as much social contact as possible, there is a good chance we can give the medical system needed time to get better equipped to handle it. If we would have continued to do nothing and simply business as usual, all the real science I have read (not the political rhetoric) points to our medical system being totally overwhelmed by mid April. The difference with this "shelter in place" strategy and closing non-essential business is huge! To do everything we can to limit the number of critical cases to a number our system can handle is imperative.

As an example - do you know we have about 170,000 ventilators in the entire US? One of the most primary life saving devices for someone critical with a SARS type virus. Unchecked, the number of critical cases by mid June would likely climb to over 1 million. Who wants to choose who gets a ventilator and who is left without to die?

Yes, the virulent other flu strains have killed 100,000 people in a year. But that is with the general population and our leaders simply not caring that "some" would die. No preventative measures except flu vaccines. No quarantines, poor social and cleanliness habits by us all. But those flues have a fatality rate of about 0.1%. We are seeing COVID-19 with 6% fatality rates in areas with overwhelmed medical systems. No vaccine. No general population resistance or immunity.

Brenda has to go to work - she set up 4 COVID-19 testing locations here so far - 2 drive through and 2 ER extensions. Hospitals are scrambling to try to get ready for the potential crush. IT is indeed real!

It is tempting to feel better by blaming a conspiracy theory, or political agenda. But can you imagine the extreme amount of convincing it would take to get these "political career ending" measures enacted?

Although I don't like the terrible effect it will have on business, my retirement stocks, having to shelter in place, I do agree it is necessary. I don't want to see the doctors here having to decide who lives and who dies simply because we don't have the capacity to handle the number of cases because we treat this just like the "flu".

I

I agree with you 100%...Our NG is gathering within a mile from my house...I'm on a 1 month self imposed home arrest or whatever they call it. governor is going to install a mandatory 3 week home thing Monday, our borders are closed...I am fine with staying home... heck...I have 18 parakeets, 2 cats, 3 tortoises and 15 box turtles...staying home for me is fun...or and a small water turtle recently acquired...