Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I was channel surfing the other evening and landed on the Nat Geo channel. They were talking about venomous snakes and I stayed there a while to watch. I'm not a snake fan. They give me the willies.

They had a segment on gaboon vipers. OMG!!!!! That fat thing reminded me of a slug slithering along. You could actually see his undulations as he moved, and the design on his body gave you the impression that he had hundreds of little legs motating him along. UGH!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Love those. They are my favorite venomous snake. We had some on the "Tonight Show" once. They had just given birth and we brought the babies too. They are so fat and short, we called them little turds. Those things can strike and return to position faster than your eye can see.
sv3mde.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The Bitis is my favorite family of snakes they are what is called True Vipers, I don't have any at this time but have kept the Gaboon Viper, the Rhinoceros Viper, the Puff Adder, and the Horned Adder, What is so neat about them is they are laid back and easy to care for,not like the Cobra that spends all day and night trying to figure out how to get out.I have a skin of a larger female Gaboon that died trying to give birth(they have live young) to 38 embryo. The fangs measured 1 3/4 inch.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
They are very cute :) I am not a fan of snakes but I find them beautiful :).
Yvonne, when I saw your name in the Snakes section I was wondering if you had bought a snake lol :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I was thinking almost the same thing....Wow...Yvonne must have taken in a rescue snake. I've only seen some snakes when I was a kid in Texas, but every picture of a snake I see, I think is beautiful. I've never owned one, but to me a snake is one of the most beautiful things on earth. (I've seen some in Macy's, but they were in the shape of a shoe or a hand bag).

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
When I was living in Spain I used to walk by a snake almost every morning one summer laying on the road on the way to the building I worked in on our Coast Guard base. One day I picked it up and brought it into our translator, I never saw her move so quick, all she said was you should not have caught that one. I let it go the same place I found it and later found out it was an Asp viper. I guess I was lucky it was early in the morning and it was warming up in the sun, the next few days I gave it a little wider berth when I walked by.

Status
Not open for further replies.