Vine Identification ?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
There is a new and different kind of vine growing in the front yard, It grows like honeysuckle wrapping around things for support. Any Ideas ?Picture 009.jpgPicture 007.jpgPicture 008.jpgPicture 013.jpg

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Looks like some variety of wild (edible) or false (inedible) grape...great for basket weaving, but the hairs are splintery. Invasive as heck.

If you can't get a garden shop or college extension to identify it with certainty, I'd pull it.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I'll bet @RosemaryDW knows what it is.
Dang, I never know what any vine is that doesn’t grow in the desert! It doesn’t seem to match any common invasive weed over there than I can find with my Google-fu skills though. At least not until those flowers set into seed or fruit.

Doesn’t look particularly harmful but also not something I’d want accidentally growing in my yard. One of the vines I found was called “Mile a Minute” due to its growth rate. :eek:

Len B

10 Year Member!
Dang, I never know what any vine is that doesn’t grow in the desert! It doesn’t seem to match any common invasive weed over there than I can find with my Google-fu skills though. At least not until those flowers set into seed or fruit.

Doesn’t look particularly harmful but also not something I’d want accidentally growing in my yard. One of the vines I found was called “Mile a Minute” due to its growth rate. :eek:
It is a very fast grower. I'm going to start cutting it back but for now. I will leave it where it is. No matter what it is I can't leave it there past this year. Where it's growing I have very some tall ROS that I need to use a long handle tool to reach up and pull the limbs down to get the blooms. It has tangled and tied all the trees together. If the flowers change I will post a pic. Thanks

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
The number of crazy growing vines where you are blows my mind. Here is my single immediately local vine, it’s a very small melon and not what I’d call a fast grower. I could probably manage it with tweezers if it ever showed up in my yard. Thank goodness, as it’s quite hideous and gets worse looking over the season. I don’t think I could say that about any of the vines I looked up in your area today.

494AEA5F-9B37-4DF1-A825-1535F9C566EB.jpeg

245B1189-20D3-43B2-9F3F-C193A374E7BC.jpeg

Len B

10 Year Member!
The number of crazy growing vines where you are blows my mind. Here is my single immediately local vine, it’s a very small melon and not what I’d call a fast grower. I could probably manage it with tweezers if it ever showed up in my yard. Thank goodness, as it’s quite hideous and gets worse looking over the season. I don’t think I could say that about any of the vines I looked up in your area today.

View attachment 328694

View attachment 328697
Vines do very well here sometimes to well. This is my wild grapevine, my favorite but hard to keep under control.Picture 011.jpgThat big thing behind Walkers house is a lilac and a red bud tree covered with grapevine.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I think I may have found what that ? is! Chinese Yam