Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Wow! Very cool! I was going to ask if you breed them, but your pics pretty much answered that question. Are the babies any more relaxed when you captive raise them? Or is this just their nature?

On a funny note: When I was first getting into reptiles a guy asked me this question as he slid the cage door open and invited me to reach in and grab the inhabitant, "Want to know why they are called "Blood" pythons?"

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Tom said:
Wow! Very cool! I was going to ask if you breed them, but your pics pretty much answered that question. Are the babies any more relaxed when you captive raise them? Or is this just their nature?

On a funny note: When I was first getting into reptiles a guy asked me this question as he slid the cage door open and invited me to reach in and grab the inhabitant, "Want to know why they are called "Blood" pythons?"

Thanks Tom - Yes I produced two clutches last year, and one clutch the year before. I did not pair them up this year but I do have the Taiwan Beauty Snakes going this year.

By nature, this is what you can expect from this species and most of asian ratsnakes, however with regular attention you can definately attempt taming them down. My male is a perfect example of that. He has been socialized with since he was a baby so he has turned out with a great disposition. I never handled my female much so she never had the oppertunity.

The babies last year were all kitten tame when they first hatched. It wasn't until their first sheds that they started to show a little more attitude.

Thanks again for the compliments - I love this species and ill never get sick of them. On a side note I love blood pythons too... I used to have a beautiful female but she died of impaction.

eudora09

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
SnakeyeZ said:
Thank you. If your considering this species... buy when they are young. My male has been handled since he was a baby so I would trust my 7 year old holding him.

All the snakes that I own right now I got while they were babies. This way I know how much interaction they have had and how they were raised. My male redtail boa lays around my neck all the time and doesn't hurt anyone, I take him everywhere with me (I made him my service animal). My friend keeps trying to get me to buy adults (that way I can breed them faster) but I tried it once with a Hypo Jungle Redtail Boa and she was not tame and would not tame so I had to get rid of her. My thing is that when they are old enough I'll put them together every once and a while and if they breed they breed if they don't they don't lol. My snakes are handled everyday (unless in shed or digesting) and they are all fed in separate containers outside their homes so they won't be cage aggressive. I love my babies and that's what they are. We can't have children so my animals are my children lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.