Video

tglazie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Honestly, I often playfully refer to them as radiator tortoises. I walk up to them when they are done with their bath, and I'll say things like, "How was the bath, my lovely radiators?" When I first started doing this, my old lady would look at me funny (she's one of those "it's not a turtle, it's a tortoise" people who insists on folks getting the names of things exactly, not just technically, correct; when I call my marginated tortoises margies, she tells me that Marge is the matriarch of the family Simpson, not a tortoise), at which point I would hold my hands out above the tortoises and pretend to be warmed by imaginary heat radiating from their shells. I would also sing randomly improvised songs using only the word radiator when dropping off their food or otherwise maintaining their enclosures. But you know, it's all in good fun, and I wasn't engaged in an open display of televised ignorance with a solid helping of pomposity to boot. All I'm saying is that I sometimes call them radiators. Unfortunately, I live in South Texas, where we don't have those old style radiators, and everything I have that does radiate heat is a panel, so I could never take a picture of my radiator tortoises next to the radiator, at least not in the most easily associated sense of the words. I've also heard them referred to as "Irradiated" tortoises, which always made me think of such as being a companion cadre of shelled vigilantes to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

T.G.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Honestly, I often playfully refer to them as radiator tortoises. I walk up to them when they are done with their bath, and I'll say things like, "How was the bath, my lovely radiators?" When I first started doing this, my old lady would look at me funny (she's one of those "it's not a turtle, it's a tortoise" people who insists on folks getting the names of things exactly, not just technically, correct; when I call my marginated tortoises margies, she tells me that Marge is the matriarch of the family Simpson, not a tortoise), at which point I would hold my hands out above the tortoises and pretend to be warmed by imaginary heat radiating from their shells. I would also sing randomly improvised songs using only the word radiator when dropping off their food or otherwise maintaining their enclosures. But you know, it's all in good fun, and I wasn't engaged in an open display of televised ignorance with a solid helping of pomposity to boot. All I'm saying is that I sometimes call them radiators. Unfortunately, I live in South Texas, where we don't have those old style radiators, and everything I have that does radiate heat is a panel, so I could never take a picture of my radiator tortoises next to the radiator, at least not in the most easily associated sense of the words. I've also heard them referred to as "Irradiated" tortoises, which always made me think of such as being a companion cadre of shelled vigilantes to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

T.G.
You are an interesting man. Next time I come through TX I am stopping for a meal with you. My treat!

BevSmith

T.G.

Omg that’s so awesome!

I do relate to your wife about the “turtle” versus “tortoise” thing... my 4 year-old daughter corrects people frequently. Lol!!